76,77,79,81,91 Antelop (Wendover/Wells/Jackpot area)

bucksmut

I drew an archery antelope tag in this area this year and I have scoured the archives of this site relentlessly trying to find some information about this unit (pictures, anyone who had this tag, size of bucks, how the hunt went, etc.) and I found only one post that mentioned this area. Has anyone hunted speedgoats in this unit or have any info or tips from hunting other species in the area? I have hit Wendover area scouting a little and came across one good looking buck but he looked impossible to stalk. I am hoping for a dry year to sit some water. This will be my first archery antelope hunt and am really looking forward to spending some time in the desert. Thanks

couple options:
the area north of the OASIS exit has a good pop of goats
or the flats from the summit to montello up to wood canyon or
just before the summit take the road along the rail tracks and spot and stalk or sit on the guzzler along the peqops.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I would personally not waste any more time over by Wendover. I would focus on 076 & 077....You should be able to stick a mid 70's goat no problem, bigger with a little luck and persistence. It's not hard to figure out where they are. Look at a topo map, at the base of every mountain range in the flats it where they will be.

I saw a couple of pretty good goats (real good archery goats) in unit 81. One was around a tank and the other was in the cedars. The one in the cedars had to be well over 16 I about wrecked looking at him.

PM if you want more info.

Thank you guys for the help and info. I am looking forward to a fun hunt. Any of you who have hunted antelope with a bow have you ever had much success trying the spot and stalk method or did most ethical shots come over a water hole?

-Bucksmut

have had a few buddies get good opportunities spot and stalk hunting. its tough, the odds arent as good as sitting a water hole, but you wont catch me sitting in a blind on a water hole. that sounds like one of the worst experiences one could partake in. especially in August with the heat, plus being stuck in a blind for 12 hours? No thanks.

Ill spot and stalk and take the lesser odds. Having said all that, yes, its doable. unless you are trying to belly crawl through 4" high cheat grass. then you will have a problem. I did a spot and stalk on a rifle hunt for fun, was at 40 yards from about 12 antelope, cut them off while they were working a draw. its way more fun than sitting in a 110 degree blind for 12 hours. Give it a shot!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom