777, ffg or fffg

M

MBM

For you guys that have been testing triple seven, are you getting better results with ffg or fffg powder? I have always used ffg in Clear Shot or Black Powder. How much if any would I need to reduce my starting out point with fffg? When working up a load with ffg I usually start at 80 grains. Should I start the same place with fffg triple seven?

i am using the ffg 777 140gr of powder . my dads gun which is identical to mine (t/c black diamond .50cal) shoots best with 120gr .we are using the 240 gr hornady xtp/sabot. i thought you were not suppose to use the fffg 777 in rifles , but i checked out the hodgdon web sight and they have loads for the fffg so i guess it is ok . and i called hodgdon and they told me you can use the same ammount as the gun maker recommends with the ffg. if they say 100 is the max, that is all you can use . so i hope this helps you out , check out the hodgdon web sight they have loads listed for the fffg 777 .

I been using fffg 777 and it's been working good for us we are staying with the 100gr and using different bullet to find one that shoots good. We use the 300 gr sabot from Hornady.

Gator: I am going to wade into this a little bit, if you don't mind. Choosing a specific powder charge and then trying to find a bullet that performs well with that charge is kind of backwards to the established way of finding your optimum hunting setup. I always select the bullet I want to use, and then tailor my powder charge to make the bullet perform correctly. Haven't had good results doing it the way you are, but who knows maybe it's me and not the setup!

So my Knight can take 150 grains. So if I was crazy enough I could use 150 grains of 777 ffg? I think of starting with 120 grains and see how that does.

K, maybe im retarded or something. Why are these guys useing 120 grains? If the max is 100 how can they be using 120 without causing damage to their gun? Im talking about 777 FFG. This is so FREAKING confusing and it shouldnt be!!!!

SUPERUNKNOWN16: The reason this whole subject seems to be confusing is because of one thing. Most people, for some unknown reason, accept what other people suggest about what is good or bad, rather than working up their own optimum hunting load. I have constantly "preached" about not accepting what other people use in THEIR rifle. Work up the load that YOUR rifle likes. How many times have I posted that every muzzleloader made is different that every other one? Sometimes I think I'm whistling in a graveyard!!

Take the confusion out of the situation by working up your own load. I have always said that if you are shooting a .50 or .54 caliber you should use ffg, no matter whether its blackpowder, Pyrodex, Clear Shot, or 777. Go back to the Muzzleloader 101 Chapters and you will see why.

Today society is filled with people who want instant gratification in everything they do, no matter the cost. They want the easy way out. Muzzleloading does not lend itself to that mindset. It is not a lazy man's shooting sport. It takes a lot of work, a lot of range time, and TONS OF PRACTICE.

Superunknown The different is in what powder you are using ffg vs. fffg. I have been shooting 777 fffg 100 gr it worked well. last week a brought some more 4 lbs turns out the saleman handled one to me and says this ok, I look at the bottle says fffg and say yep that it, He put in the bag I drive home(75miles) pull out the powder and 3 of the 4 was ffg and not fffg. So I started shooting some of the ffg using 120 gr. with my 300 Sabots and they grouped even better than fffg (No flyer yet)(4" groups at 200 and 1 1/2 at 100)1x scope. I really happy with the ffg right now.Come on Sept, 25th

Thanks alot Gator. I got some Knight 240gr sabots and Im using 120 grains of ffg and im getting really good groups at 100yds. So Im sticking with that for the moment. Cant wait for the hunt!!

Gator what is the make on your 1x scope? Iam looking to buy one.
Thank You!!
CF

We are using a couple of different ones We have Burris and Simmons The Burris is like a 184.00 and the simmons was 79.00 I like the simmons alot better thinner crosshairs. I'm using redfield mount and Leupold mounts. I brought my scope from MidSouth. I think there site is WWW.MIDSOUTHSHOOTERSSUPPLY.COM They mail out next day if it in stock. Check out their Bullets(Sabots) they are cheaper than most places.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom