7mm -vs- 300 Win Mag

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON May-17-12 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]I am currently shooting a 300 Win Mag. It is an A-Bolt and I have had some good success with it.

However, I have a new Remington 700 7mm that I am thinking about using.

I am going to primarily use it for a sheep hunt. The 7mm is lighter, and the small amount of research I have done, seems to be a good "long range" option.

Now my long range is 400-500 yards. I usually try to shoot less than 300. But, this hunt I have planned, most likely will require a 400-500 shot.

Now I know what you are thinking, the 7mm will not allow me a guarantee on anything. I need to practice! I understand this.

My 300 has a muzzle brake, stainless barrel, and a wood stock.

The 7mm is synthetic and lighter and does not have a muzzle brake (which I like).

Am I nuts to think about switching? I usually try to stick with one all around rifle. So, if I do, the 300 might start collecting dust?? How about some ideas??

Go for it! Sounds like the 7mm will be a better sheep gun (because its lighter). No real reason to choose one over the other just based on caliber, so I would get the lighter one ready for your sheep hunt. The only downside I see is the lack of a brake on the 7mm makes it less fun to practice with.

I have both, love both.. Its going to fall on what i'm hunting where for which gun I use. The 150 out of the 7mm has the same trajectory as the 180 out of the 300 with factory loads. My 7mm is being setup for long range,

er_files/4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Go for both ! Ether gun has enough bullet for a sheep hunt. Just hit them in the right spot and its a done deal. Shoot it enough to trust the gun and youself with it ,is the key i would think.

I personally really like my 300 Win Mag. But I too have thought of getting into the 7mm Mag, just because.

If the question is whether the 7mm is enough to make a permanent switch for elk etc. the answer is yes. I used to shoot a 7mm Mauser and took 3 elk with it. All shots were 300 yards or under and all bullets passed completely through the animal. One of the shots was shoot uphill on a high ridge above, the bullet took out the shoulder, spine and top of the shoulder blade on the far side. (yes I got lucky hitting the spine) but the bullet went through pretty much all bone and still passed through the animal. And a 7mm Mag is moving 300 FPS faster on average, so you will do fine with it. The key is a high quality bullet, which I am guessing you already knew.

Good luck on the sheep hunt!!

I shoot my 7mm over my 300 WSM, regardless of the species.

I buy into the belief that you should forget the caliber and shoot the gun you are most comfortable with. I think your confidence with the gun is more important than the caliber itself, especially for a smaller animal like a sheep. Plus with new bullet technology, it isn't nearly the problem it was even 10 years ago.

Grizzly

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

It all depends on the type of sheep hunting that you'll be doing.

A horseback hunt requires some climbing but all the travel is accomplished with the horse so it matters little the weight of the rifle. If it's a backpack hunt, every step will feel more difficult if your rifle is too heavy.

Sheep hunting is tough on a rifle so I'd opt for synthetic every time.

A 7mm (mag?) is very adequate for sheep hunting. Anything in the 25-05 of bigger is more than sufficient. Killing them isn't difficult, it's GETTING to them that can be tough.

I'd lean toward the 7mm (mag) since it's lighter, synthetic and more than adequate for sheep..... if the rifle shoots well!

I suspect you already know the answer.

BTW; where, when and what sheep will you be chasing?

Zeke

Great, great advice so far! These are the types of discussions I like!

I must confess, its actually an Aoudad sheep hunt, probably a different than the big four. I hunted them last year and cleanly missed a 450 ish yard shot. 100% my fault and not the gun. And, some days we walked 8-12 miles I'd guess so yeah, lighter might be better!

I'd never entirely replace my 300. But, for long hunts, like the one I'm talking about, I think I'm going with the 7mm.

And, a new employee thatI recently hired, has the same caliber, loads for longer range. I might have him take a few sick days and help coach me a little!

Thanks again. And Roy, I will reserve the 243 for the Texas Whitetails!!!!

Well...you probably already know my answer, but I would take whatever you are comfortable shooting, accurately....I have Carried my Browning A-bolt, 300 win mag, since 1990...It has been up alot of steep mountains and I have killed many animals with it, including 3 Grizzly Bear, 2 mountain goats and my 4 sheep....so, you can see, I'm pretty partial to it....But that 7mm will and should to the job....How many miles are you planning on carrying it on this sheep hunt?...Just kidding! I think I already know the answer!

7MM great flat shooting caliber. Do it.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Ruff, If you have the time and inclination to really know the ins and outs of that 7mm and how well it shoots, by all means, take that bugger!

I have at least 6 different rifles that i'll hunt different big game animals under varied conditions. Part of the fun is getting each rifle , and me, ready to get the job done out at distances even farther than i'm willing to take a shot.

Now all you need is a good 25-06 and you're set!! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I shoot a 7mm Rem mag. I would choose the 7mm on an aoudad hunt and work up loads featuring a 160 bullet. From my research and experience the 160 gr. bullets actually shoot flatter with more energy at long range.

Both excellent calibers and out to 500 yds you won't gain any real advantage one over the other. Since the 7mm is lighter, I'd say thats an advantage since you will likely be hunting rough steep country. For ranges beyond 600 yds the 7mm is the way to go.

Mike

Now all you need is a good 25-06 and you're set!!

I bought my son a 25-06. It's fun to shoot.

Cabin:

500-600 yards would/will be my max. And, I'll only do it after I have practiced over the year and can prove to myself I can do it. I've never considered myself a great shot. It will be fun trying...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom