7mm WSM ?

quest

Very Active Member
I would like to know more about this round there's not a lot of information out there on it. What are the pros an cons? Can you shoot Berger Bullets?

quest

I don't own one but going by the ballistic charts, what i've read in other forum sites, read here, and from owning a 270WSM (very similar)here's a couple things.

Yes you should be able to shoot Bergers. I load my 270WSM all the way out to very near the lands and my 140 gr accubond is so long, it looks like the bullet is ready to fall out of the case. Mine though, still fits in the short action magazine so you should not have much trouble, maybe not all the way out to the lands, loading VLD's.

You would have a better bullet selection, especially heavy longer bullets, over the .277 cartridge although the .277 is getting better.

The Rub, I don't believe you'll find the ammo at a lot of places so you had best be a reloader or plan to become one. Some say the cartridge will be discontinued in some guns because of it not being able to beat out it's main competitors, the 7mm mag and more recently, the .280AI.

Even so, I like stuff that not everybody has and still think it would be a great cartridge for long range shooting, hunting critters up to and including elk, or a custom build project. Good luck with it!

Joey

quest,
sage has a lot of good info. I purchased a 7mm WSM after seeing the performance of a buddies 270WSM and then went for the slightly enhanced bullet weight/ballistics of 7mm. Just have to say absolutely love this gun. I cannot cycle Berger bullets thru the magazine and have the Berger extend to the lands (i was upset about that). It does like Bergers at the lands. However, I found it likes Accubonds even better! Blowing the socks off my 300RUM long range and is rediculasly light weight hunting rifle.

I kinda have to agree with what others have said. I bought the 7 wsm the first year it was out, Amazing cartrige in my experience, brother owns a 7 rm and I prefer the wsm over it I haven't shot any bergers but I shoot accubonds with great accuracy. Don't know why it didn't catch on its kind of a medallion among alaska sheep hunters, but we may see it becomming popular as I know lots of brench shooter are turning to the 7mm wsm in the long range shoots. excellent bullet options and lighter guns mine will keep 1/2MOA out to 800 yrds havent shot it further than that. thats out of a browning A-bolt stainless stalker. I reload so that doesn't bug me and now Norma is making brass for it rather then just winchester. My dad chose to use it on his bighorn hunt this year over his .280 that was his feelings on it on probably the last sheep hunt he'll ever go on.

7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

Best of the bunch in the shortmag line up, imo. Drop the bergers, pick up some 162 Amax's. I couldn't get the boogers to go out of my 7mm weatherby, no such problems with the Amax..You will encounter similar problems with the WSM in most rifles (excessive freebore).

deepforks, he said, "mine will keep 1/2MOA out to 800 yrds havent shot it further than that"

That means he's getting 4" groups at 800 yds. That's some dam fine shooting, especially with any kind of wind, but very possible with today's equipment on the right day.

Joey

guess i shouldnt have read it so quickly. thanks for the clarification. yes, 4" groups at that range is impressive.

Yes A 4" group at 800 not a 1/2" <I would win the nationals for sure> I've done it three occasions on different days I'll admit those days were cool clear and no wind.(Plus shooting four times a week for a while) If I do my part the gun will always do its part.
7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom