$8.00 Application fee-better odds or worse?

Wanted

So what do you think? Are we all drawing this year? I think the odds might just be worse because everyone might think they'll have a better shot at drawing causing more people to apply.

I believe the odds will be a little better than in years past. I for one have always been in favor of implementing the old system where the tag fee was part of the application process. I believe the more dedicated hunters found a way to come up with the money to apply, and don't tell me we all couldn't find a way to sock a little money away throughout the year if we really wanted too. I just believe it's priorities and hunting and fishing has always been towards the top of mine. If it helps me draw that sheep tag, I'm all for it.

Are you saying were going to have to cough up $8 bucks to apply for the draws...is that for each species ??..

How?s that gonna better the odds, you think people won't want to cough up the 8 buks to apply?

I think the majority of hunting community will find a way to come up with the money to apply, where I think it will better the drawing odds is with the folks who only applied because it was 4.50. I also agree a lot of anti-hunting groups have been applying in the past, and this will make those idiots dig a little deeper.

If you apply for say you and your family of 4.

$8 x 6 x 4 + $192...it was $108...plus licenses/sports pac/tags...damn near $1K for me. It adds up fast. ODFW is screwing the resident, but I'm stuck...game management sucks IMO but hey camping is fun. I know this increase will knock more and more people out of the draw and they will just go fill their "tags."

HK

Maybe it wont be quite so crowded in some of those east. or. deer hunts this year, not so many people applying.

I think you'll start seeing a lot of people cashing out their points. If I didn't have a bunch of points built up I'd cash out and be done with it. I have 7 points for antelope and 6 for deer and elk. I have come too far to drop out now. But if I were just starting I'd think twice. Everything is so far out of reach now it's not worth it. Why wait 10+ years to pull an antelope tag when you can go to Wyoming for just as good or better of a hunt almost every year! Once I pull my tags I'm done in Oregon.

The non res is the one who's really getting screwed, we treat them like crap as it is I can't see any justification to raise the fees where they are now, the hunting gets worse and the price goes up so most will quit. if I couldn't hunt out of state I'd probably quit, I'm sympathetic to the non res since I'm in their state sooner or later I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't.

I hope ODFW goes broke and shuts down, who'd notice or care.

as a NR, i have 9 points for a few species and was going to just continue to build but im putting in to draw out and be done with that state.

i might be able to under stand it if they gave more tags to NR's, OR if they had better quality hunts but they dont have either. Increasing there fees was not a good move.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

I, agree with that. n.r. are getting the raw end of the stick. I have 12 points for each animal , not because I wanted to reach this point. I apply for a hunt then I, get a letter saying the n.r. tags have been given to the outfitters.
Where is the fareness in that. Now this new cost , to recieve the same letters .I will being lowering my quilty of hunt to be done with or. as a n.r.
Idaho did the same thing last year to the n.r. and there paying for it now. this greed needs to stop, but will it ever probly not. I guess they think the economy is great.

I never understand why a majority of the nonresident hunters think they should have special benefits in a state they don't even reside in. It really starts to get old when you hear time and time again, "I am finished applying in this state, because they are doing me wrong with poor drawing odds and fee increases." Boo hoo, I could care less if you ever stepped foot in Oregon ever again. You make your choices where you live, and that's that. I shouldn't expect to have the same drawing odds in Idaho or Montana just because I pay more than the residents who live, work, and raise there families there. I am sure the majority of Nevada, Idaho, and Montana residents get really tired of all the influx of nonresident hunters or I should say Californians flooding there state every hunting season. For years Oregon and Idaho have kept there nonresident fees down, but times are changing and fees are going up. Residents will always have preference and that's the way it was always intended. If you don't like the the quality or quantity in Oregon don't apply here, it's that easy. Were all tired of the WHINING!!!!!!

> I
>never understand why a majority
>of the nonresident hunters think
>they should have special benefits
>in a state they don't
>even reside in. It really
>starts to get old when
>you hear time and time
>again, "I am finished applying
>in this state, because they
>are doing me wrong with
>poor drawing odds and fee
>increases." Boo hoo, I could
>care less if you ever
>stepped foot in Oregon ever
>again. You make your choices
>where you live, and that's
>that. I shouldn't expect to
>have the same drawing odds
>in Idaho or Montana just
>because I pay more than
>the residents who live, work,
>and raise there families there.
>I am sure the majority
>of Nevada, Idaho, and Montana
>residents get really tired of
>all the influx of nonresident
>hunters or I should say
>Californians flooding there state every
>hunting season. For years Oregon
>and Idaho have kept there
>nonresident fees down, but times
>are changing and fees are
>going up. Residents will always
>have preference and that's the
>way it was always intended.
>If you don't like the
>the quality or quantity in
>Oregon don't apply here, it's
>that easy. Were all tired
>of the WHINING!!!!!!
>

i'll assume you have never hunted outta state?

oregon puts the screws to non-res's. i dont belive in any state NON- residents should have preferance, but in oregons top 4 units non-res's dont even have a chance every other year. IMO A DIY hunter should get an opertunity before any guided tag. but i also know that it doesnt matter what i think. big money will get their special chances before the everyday joe in every state ! thats the way it is

+1 Killa!!!

2.5% of the tags????????? Com'on!!!!

And I'm still playin (call me stupid)

11 deer and antelope points, 9 elk.

Son has 7 each.

Wife has 2 each.

Oregon will provide us with some good hunts in the future BUT 2.5%???????? I AM STUPID, or just a huntin fool.

Redside , Looks like you have never left you state to hunt , I was gonna give you a ear full but your not worth it nor is your state. so go cry now . Iam not a gambling man but I bet you have never hunted out of state. Myself I hunt 3-4 states a year . Oregon Is not my choice for a good hunt , you can keep it. Yes I will burn my 12 points or gain a few more . but once I draw ,Iam done . the res. of oregon are some great people who will do anything for you , opps theres one person there that wont.Well to all the others happy hunting and merry x-mas.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-09 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]I'm an eastern oregon native, and I welcome the non res hunter, most of them are less trouble than portland hunters. the point is Oregon screws the non res, and much of the land they want to hunt is federal owned, so a guy from NY owns the hill behind my ranch as much as I do.

My advice to any NR is get the best tag you can get with your points and bail if you have enough to draw anything decent, if you don't have points forget it and walk away you're getting screwed here. I apply in 8 states and oregon is the least important to me, if I wasn't a res I wouldn't apply on a bet.

Oregon may suck, but I took a 30" 4x4 mule deer and saw two other 200"+ inch bucks that were taken in the same area this year. I will be applying for the area again with a good shot at drawing.

Congrats Wanted. You hit the lottery. Post some pics. I haven't seen a buck like that for some time now. Can't wait to see an Oregon 200 incher.

HK

Look at the book and see how many all timers have been taken this decade, that will clue you in on what the odds are of finding one.

If I had a dime for every 200+ buck and 375+ bull had been seen. funny how few calls I get to score them, a little like big foot they just seem to always get away.

I did score a typical the other day that made it over 195, so they do exist, but it will be one of the top deer from oregon this decade.

My buck, nothing special......just sayin'
30.jpg

The two other bucks I am reffering to. This buck is 34" wide.
steens.jpg

This buck is a non-typical. Prolly won't book, but I think he'd go close to 200"gross.
frontsteens.jpg

steensside.jpg

> I
>never understand why a majority
>of the nonresident hunters think
>they should have special benefits
>in a state they don't
>even reside in. It really
>starts to get old when
>you hear time and time
>again, "I am finished applying
>in this state, because they
>are doing me wrong with
>poor drawing odds and fee
>increases." Boo hoo, I could
>care less if you ever
>stepped foot in Oregon ever
>again. You make your choices
>where you live, and that's
>that. I shouldn't expect to
>have the same drawing odds
>in Idaho or Montana just
>because I pay more than
>the residents who live, work,
>and raise there families there.
>I am sure the majority
>of Nevada, Idaho, and Montana
>residents get really tired of
>all the influx of nonresident
>hunters or I should say
>Californians flooding there state every
>hunting season. For years Oregon
>and Idaho have kept there
>nonresident fees down, but times
>are changing and fees are
>going up. Residents will always
>have preference and that's the
>way it was always intended.
>If you don't like the
>the quality or quantity in
>Oregon don't apply here, it's
>that easy. Were all tired
>of the WHINING!!!!!!
>

There are a lot of things that i could say to debate this but i just get the hunch that id be wasting my time. you come across that the guy that hates every NR, every hunter that is in his spot, bitches at everything but you come on here and cry 'WHINERS'. Im now less intelligent for reading that post.

Travis
www.RidgelineOutdoors.com
Blacks-Creek Packs Dealer

Dang man, you weren't kidding!!!! Nice job Wanted!!! I hear ya, its tougher now days but there are bucks out there, my buddy missed a 30 incher this year and settled for a 26 inch 4x4, his brother in law got a 26 inch buck as well. All out of a unit that gives out almost 2,000 deer tags!!!!!

C-huntn, Not only is Kali the worst for NRs, personally I've "forgotten" to apply as a resident several times since they went to PPs. And haven't lost any sleep over it either.

We don't give out enough NR tags. 2.5% is ridiculous, and I'm an Oregon native!! Jack it up to about 20%, run the tag prices up another 20%.

And, cut back the tag numbers on Muleys about 50%. We're THIS close to a complete and utter disaster, I'm not sure there's anything that can be done to stop it at this point.

kh

Nice bucks wanted. Hard to judge a 200" from those couple pics, but not too many people even see mature bucks like that in Oregon anymore. It's kinda like when there are 200 boats in the bay and one limits out and the other 199 go home skunked. One guy says it is the best fishing ever...ya know the rest of story. If you check out Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico you'll see bucks like yours are pretty typical. I don't think your success is the norm, nor do I think it is constant in anyones' camp in OR. I hope all the changes in the Regs do some good. I'm willing to make sacrifices and it is clear we all will have to including the nonres.

HK

I think you guys have it all wrong. It's not just the NR's or the Res's that are getting screwed it's both. The ODFW is laughing all the way to the bank as they fill the parking lot of their new headquarters. I have never hunted outside of OR however after this unjustified increase I will be applying in other states.

There's still a few trophy hunts here in OR but even as a resident it takes an average of 15-20 years to draw a tag. Since it a random drawing unless you have the maximum points your not guaranteed of anything.

Some quick facts
Prices going up!
Herd numbers going down!
Predators are basically uncontrolled!

We have reached the highest predator density in the last century with cougars and bears coming into rural towns and now wolves roaming the Blue Mountains.

For 8.00 dollars you'll get the same unsuccessful notice or if you choose a lesser hunt you'll get to draw and hang out with 3000 of your not so close pals.

I'd like to tell all you non-res's to keep throwing your money into the state but as a fellow hunter I'd hate to pass on some bad advice to y'all.

HI redside, nice attitude!! hunted your great state four times still havent arrowed a bull but will keep trying.just wanted to to say thanks. you must be one of those guys that wont wave because you see my cali plate, thats ok i dont wave at you guys either when your down here taking our jobs.i know me n the rest of my partners pack more trash out of YOUR mountains than non res. can pack in. its funny well not really but thanks anyways.
simo

I'm a diehard Oregonian that is living in Utah for the time being and I can't believe the non-resy license prices. $140 for just a non-resident hunting license? Holy $%&#! Instead of worrying about our declining herd numbers they're raising tag/license prices to get them more money. That price really isn't worth hunting in Oregon for a non-resident when you can hunt states like Wyoming, Utah, or New Mexico for the same price and sometimes cheaper. Really sucks because I can't afford to go backwards in the points pool for 4 different series'. Oh well I guess the good news is that when I move back there might be less hunters. But seriously ODFW, a $50 increase in non-resident license prices? Damn!

I am never applying in OR again, unless they change something. I let ODFW know why. Too f---ing high price for not enough chance at a good tag. For all those that appluad that, have fun paying even higher fees. All the nonresident licenses and application fees were pretty much money for nothing for ODFW.

I requested a refund of past license fees bought to build points, a nearly doubling of the license fee to stay in is beyond reasonable expectations when you buy the license to build points. Know I'm not getting that, but....

Not whining, it's just customer feedback.

It would be easier to take if the quality was reasonable, but it's not. I felt the same way when a sheep point in Wy went from $7 to $100, and a moose point went from $7 to $75....HOLY CRAP! But...I had to stay in because I want to hunt sheep and moose there soon and had several points.

The only real way to get the draw odds better is to charge the full tag price up front! I bet half the jokers putting in themselves, and their wives, ect, would not poney up the full tag fee for sheep, goat, and billy goat to show that they are serious. It absolutly HOSES the rest of us, and it was the best money making idea the ODFW ever came up with. Until they thought of almost doubling it to $8 bucks!

Quality in this state sucks for sure, but if the odds were better, I would be pretty happy.

As a NR you really have to wait a long time and invest alot of $$ just to draw a good tag. I'll continue to apply, but only because I have family in Oregon that I hope to hunt with a least one time. So if we're talking about quality, I'm refering to family not the deer herd. I'm not trying to knock you're state, but with the time and money it takes to draw there alot of other states that are much easier with decent animals.

With the increase they think it's Arizona quality.But as tesmitty stated I have family there too and would love to do a hunt with my dad. But I am in so deep that it is hard to find a hunt at this point to hunt with him.

Back
Top Bottom