8.5 year old Buck

Lien2

Very Active Member
We have a picture of this buck from back in 2007 when he was 4.5, we named him Floppy Ear due to his right ear being damaged and hanging down along his face. We got a couple more pics of him late last year, but he was only seen once during daylight.
He showed up this year the week of Halloween and we got a bunch more pics of him.
November 3rd started cold as we tipped the canoe in the river as we tried to cross. It was 19 degrees and we made it out without losing anything but everything we wore and had with us was soaked. We went back and tried to dry everything out, and was back in the stands by 2:30pm. Prior to going out my and my buddy bet a bottle of Crown Royal that someone would shoot Floppy that night. At almost 6:00pm, he followed a doe past me at 31 yards and I was lucky to put an arrow through his lungs and watched him go down 40 yards later. I gladly paid for the bottle and we enjoyed some of it that night as we sat around and admired Floppy. After having several people look at his teeth (or lack of them), as well as the trail cam picture from 2007, it appears he is at least 8.5 years old.
It was a humbling experience to take such a great deer that had become a legend in the area and I am very thankful for it. Turns out he probably wouldn't have made it through the winter as he appeared to be in poor health, and skin and bones. I can't imagine all the predators and hunters he eluded over the years. RIP Floppy.

Lien2

27942011john&floppy4.jpg

44192011john&floppy5.jpg

That's awesome! I was able to kill a buck that I had chased for two seasons this year. I can't imagine how cool that a four year quest would be!

man he does look. give yourself a pat on the back for getting him, being that old age he had so be one smart deer.

how did his teeth look?

nfh - The teeth were basically gone, wore right to the gums in most areas. Once they get like that it's almost impossible to tell exactly how old a deer is. Floppy could be 10 years old for all we know, but based on the 2007 trail cam pic we feel he is at least 8.5.

sw- Here is the 2007 picture. Not a very good picture, but it looks like he is 15-20" bigger in 2007 than when I shot him, another sign he was past his prime and going down hill.

Lien2

2804floppy2007.jpg

Here is a picture of him a few days before I shot him. Notice how his hide just hangs on him like an old fur coat. A far cry from the ripped, muscle bound bucks that we are used to seeing that time of year. It was almost sad when I put my hands on his back for the first time and I could feel his backbone sticking 2" up from any meat.

9391floppy2.jpg

Great deer, cool story. That's awesome that it came together like that for you specially after taking a bath in a cold river! Im not sure I would have been warmed up enough to go back out again that evening. Great job, way to stick with it. Congrats!

GBA

Perfect buck to take, John. Congratulations on taking a fine "warrior" whitetail!

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks guys.
I heard a few days ago that a neighboring landowner believes he has the sheds from Floppy too! Not sure from which year, but I hope to get my hands on them soon. That would really be iceing on the cake! :)

Lien2

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom