9 non res. Points. What to do????

ThrowingLead

Getting up in points and need advise on units. Please help me out. I looking for a list of units that hold trophy caliber bulls. 340+ bulls. I'm not a huge archery guy but not scared to pick up a bow. More interested in a muzzy or rifle tag. Early or late doesn't matter to me. Don?t want to go guided. Wanting to do diy hunt. I've got horses but can hike. I'm fine holding out for premium units just help me figure out where I'm sitting at with my current point situation. Thanks

Your current point situation is in no mans land! Non res options suck...
37205hornkiller.jpg

You are correct, I am sitting on 10 and don't know where to go. Just got back to AZ. from there hunting deer. Got rid of them 9 points in 34 . wasn't worth it to me just an average 4x4......BULL!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-18 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]I have MAX for deer as a NR and I have no idea what to do with them either! :-(

I probably should have been buying elk points as well.

You are in a tough spot with 9 points. I just burnt up 10 points on unit 7, and killed a great bull, but I went guided.
Maybe look at unit 45 or somewhere around there to pack into. Good luck.

hwy

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-18 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]As a resident, I don't know the draw odds options you have. That said, here is a little food for thought....

I don't know that an area exists that can guarantee you a 340+ bull, especially when you add your criteria of DYI hunt. If you can put the time in to learn an area, learn the elk, then possibly.

You mentioned your willingness to work for it using horses or packing in. If that's real, your on the right track.

Most areas in Wyoming have some 340? bulls running around in them. Some just have more than others.

All that said, let's assume your willing to work for it and spend some time on the ground learning about an area, I would think you have a better chance at connecting on a 340 bull by putting in for an area that only needs 2 or three points. At this point in the game you would have hunted that area 3 or 4 times by now. Those hunting experiences would have given you much better knowledge on the area and how the animals react during hunting season. You might be going home with smaller bulls up to this point, but on your forth or fifth attempt of serious hunting you have a better chance of killing that 340+ bull on you own then you would putting in for an area requiring max points.

One more thing to consider, these forms put a false sense of area success out there. I don't know what the actual statistics are but I would be willing to bet that 80% to 90% of the non-residents hunting max unit areas dyi, go home with something smaller then 340? elk.

One more thing to ponder. Is the score really what matters to you? Say you've busted your butt hunting an area, gave it all you had to give, and walk away with a nice five point. That five was the best bull you found throughout all your hard work. That sounds like one hell of a better hunting memory to me then driving into a tall fence and killing a 400? + bull. I used extremes in that example just to drive home the point. I would be much prouder to share the story of my nice five point then my ranch bull that took no real effort on my part.

Again, just my 2-cents so take it with a grain of salt.

hwy, I seen a post from a year ago and was looking for your advice and more info. I was looking into unit 7 WY elk and was looking for an outfitter. What did you think of unit 7 and the triple 3 outfitters?? I have 12pp I would like to go archery or rifle.
Thanks in advance
-Jon

If you have 9 points going into the 2020 draw then when you look at the drawing odds you need to look at units that you could have drawn with 8 points in 2019. Most of the better units are experiencing a point per year point jump.

Area 7 took 10 points for 100% draw in 2019 and only 33% drew with 9. Doubtful that Area 7 will be drawn with 9 points in 2020.

Try having 13 going into the 2020 draw and not having any better chance at a 320 plus unit. This is looking like what has been happening in CO. What took 10-15 points to draw now sits at 20 plus with a point added each year. Do not want to be the dooms day person but even with one under max a diy hunter is going to have to wait at least 6 years to chew through the current max guys and have a real chance to draw a better, not best unit. There are a number of units to harvest an elk but I can do this in my home state. Guess just need to have a positive attitude and keep applying.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom