9 points

pigslayer

I have 9 points one less than the max. I have been trying to draw G3 but now with one less point than the max my odds go way down. What would you do with 9 points?

I would have drawn the unit I want to hunt about 4 years ago and be about one year away from drawing it again!

I am sitting on 7points and am now finally in the mix to draw my hunt I have been waiting nearly 20 years to get back to.

I would look into some of the muzzleloader hunts some of those had good odds for high points

but as was mentioned inan earlier thread just because it took you 9 years to draw does not mean that there will be a 30" buck standing in front of you opening morning. So pick the hunt that you can put some time into scouting and hopefully you know the area and have a good hunt

KEEP IN MIND.......THE G3 HUNT IS STILL A GOOD HUNT, BUT NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE A FEW YEARS BACK. YOU WONT FIND BIG BUCKS JUST EVERYWHERE. I KNOW A FEW HUNTERS THAT WERE LET DOWN IN G3, THE REP PRECEDED THE HYPE. WOULD I STILL LIKE TO TRY IT????.....YES I WOULD...............................YD.

Split your points with a friend and pic a unit you can draw with 4 or less points,and since your friend got in on your points have him supply all the food and drinks for the trip.
I had zero points last year and had a friend with 7 ,he let me put in with him and when we killed our bucks I bought him a steak dinner and he ended up with his biggest buck he has ever taken.

PIGSLAYER......GO TO THE FORUMS PAGE, CLICK ON THE RED LETTERS ABOVE ....2012 SHED ANTLER/CONTEST TIME. YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE WILL COME UP...........YD.

DFG posted the application book. Looks like there is still a 28 year stack of top pool applicants waiting for Goodale... Attrition will reduce that, but at max - 1, you are likely looking at 20 more years just to have a shot at a preference tag if they don't change the system. I'd try a better X or G6 or something else.

Sure wish I never got into the Goodale points trap and decided to do good draw hunts more often from the start, but with max points I'm in too deep now.

I had the same situation. My app got lost in the mail and I wound with one less point than max. At age 63, I figured I needed to be hunting instead of waiting for the super lotto deer tag. So, I put in for the Kern River hunt. Had a great hunt, killed my biggest Calif buck and saw lots of deer. Not in the same class as Goodale but some real nice bucks. I saw an exceptional one in the back of a jeep that looked like an Ariz strip buck.

You can draw for some X tags that are very good hunts also. With the chance of killing a big buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom