90-1 Antelope

J

johnmattos

First I am not a new member I couldn't open my old account so I registered with a new login. My family and I drew 90-1. I was hoping to get a few answers not looking at where to hunt, just general info. What tends to be better September or the first part of October, also what is the weather generally like during that time. We plan to stay in Pinedale any recommendations on hotels, cabins, meat lockers etc. Where not looking for a 17 inch antelope just would like to get my wife and daughter a nice 13-15 inch buck. Any other info would be great, again not looking for places to find anyone's honey hole just general info. John Mattos

We have been down there every year for the last 5 years except for last year. We drew doe tags this year but looks like you took my buck tag! Congrats on the tag. We typically go the first of October because it is the gap between archery and rifle season in idaho. most years the weather has been very nice but in 2012 we had lows around 12 degrees and highs just at freezing with wind. I preferred the 40 degree nights with low 60 highs but you have to be on top of getting your critter skinned and cooled down.

Bucks are everywhere down there. You will spot plenty from the highway. I would suggest you call the game warden to get contact info for private property that will let you on. There is a large private ranch off of 351 (i think is the highway)that grows a lot of alfalfa. The antelope look like fleas in the green fields. I'm sure they eat really well too. I have not hunted it yet because there are so many antelope in the desert between the highways but it did look appealing, especially for the wife and daughter.

Oh and the gas station in Boulder never has ice so if you need it, try to get it in Pinedale.

Good luck!

Good luck

congratulations on the tag. My Daughter and I did not draw the buck or doe tags there this year. How many points did you have?

Bill

I actually live in this unit and see bucks every day. If you are only looking for a 13-15 inch buck you could be done in a matter of minutes if you wanted. The highway that was previously referenced is Wyo 353 (I work for the transportation dept in Pinedale) 351 runs through area 90 type 2. I have hunted this area for years and I don't think that it is necessary to obtain permission from a land owner. I have been bow hunting for the last few years and haven't had any trouble getting on numerous bucks a day on public land. I would start somewhere along the Big Sandy Cut across road which connects highway 191 to Wyo 353 down south a ways. Find water and go from there. Also most of the goats that are on private do come out onto public either in the morning or evening so hunting the perimeter of these properties can be successful. As far as weather goes September is usually pretty nice and warm. If you do shoot one early while it is warm just make sure to get it skinned and cooled down as fast as possible. October is dicey at times it starts to snow more and the weather can change on a dime. I have been caught in some nasty storms out there because of that. However the hunting doesn't change much from month to month. The first week of the season (Sept 10-15) there will be lots of hunters but after that deer season opens and the crowds die down. I would suggest coming somewhere around September 20th. As far as lodging goes I would look up the log cabin motel in Pinedale they have reasonable prices and are nice people. here is their number (307) 367-4579. There are currently no meat lockers in this valley so I have either been processing my own or taking it to Buffalo Meats in Jackson but a coworker of my wife is building one now in Cora which is just north of Pinedale and hopes to have it open before the season opens. He went to school to be a butcher so he knows his stuff and from what I've heard he will be cheaper than anyone else as well. I will keep you posted on that one though. I hope I have answered some of your questions but if you have more feel free to message me.
Good Luck!

It's a great unit you will have a blast. I run gas wells in the area so I get to observe lots of speeds goats daily. There is a ton of human activity in this unit because of the oil and gas operations so if there is a particular huge buck in the area chances are somebody working up here has seen it and will be after it on the opener.
I really like to hunt this unit around the 15th of October, the migration will be under way and the antelope will be starting to bunch up. Every day you will see new bucks to go chase down, with most of the locals trying to fill their elk tags at that time of year.

Thanks for the reply's I've been battling a kidney stone so it has taken me some time to get back on. We had 4 points my wife drew 87 because she only had 2 points so I ponied up the extra cash and went with 87 giving her a better chance. They are super excited they have each shot deer but that is it as far as big game. I wanted a high success hunt with lots of animals. Two of the guys that are going with us are up in age 70's with limitations so they won't be getting to far off the road. John

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom