90-2 Antelope - Hunting Late

G

gon4elk

Question for all you experienced(past or present) 90-2 Antelope hunters. Our plan is to hunt the opener next week and 3 days and come back the next weekend (live within 2 hours of the unit). We also have Deer tags in G and Unit 78 deer tags in Idaho so may not be able to get back for lope until October. This is the first antelope tag I have had since I was 16 so I want to be a little picky and was wondering how the hunting is towards the mid to later part of October? Do these antelope move out of here prior to end of the hunt if the snow flys? Drive by this unit all the time and see soem in the late Fall Early Winter but to the main bunch head out?

Thanks

Steve

Having hunted this unit 2 years ago, I can assure you that you are making the right decision. I shot mine opening day. As for size, I could have done a lot better. However, my son and dad were there so it was a great hunt.

Another member on this site PM-ed me the following year. I told him some places to go. He hunted later and the herd sizes he saw was staggering IMO. He shot a really nice goat. I believe the one side was 17" and the other horn had a small piece broken off. Regardless, it was a huge goat given the good mass the animals have on that unit.

I wouldn't worry at all about hunting late, there will be plenty coming through (I'm sure). There is a lot of area to hunt.

Good luck!

Got the message, thanks. Just got back, pretty bleak as far as overall numbers. Don't know how they can justify 250 buck AND 250 doe tags.

I'm guessing you didn't see the numbers you wanted to see. How did the overall hunt look if a hunter wasn't looking for a trophy book anteleope? We're there plenty of average bucks?

Hey shortmag what do you consider an avg. buck? I guess I was expecting to see more #'s of antelope given the amount of tags they offer. The bucks we saw looked like they came outta the same mold - 12-13" (don't know where the smaller ones were). And then a few that were nicer 13-15". Lot of antelope country with nothing in it. Put lot of miles on the truck.

Average buck for me would be high 60's to low 70's. We have tags for 90-1 and have heard great things about the unit in the past. We're headed out in a week for our hunt and I hope we see more bucks then you describe in the area. I'm looking to get a decent buck, but won't be overly dissapointed with a low 70's buck. I'm mainly looking forward to seeing a lot of animals and putting some stalks on. That's why I asked... your post has me a little concerned because you were dissapointed in the adjoining unit.

But hopefully your expectations are higher than mine.

Shortmag - I am starting a goat hunt in 90-1 starting the 23rd. We will be staying in Farson. I will try to post a report if I can find internet access. Good luck

We were back there over last weekend and did some chicken hunting in 90-1. Filled up in 30 minutes, lots of birds. Went back to antelope hunting later that day and my bro in law shot a real nice buck that afternoon. Saw better bucks this past weekend I think and not another hunter. Be prepared for some wild critters. They were running at the sight of the truck over 1000 yards away.

Heading back to Wyoming in the AM for deer for a week.

Just got back from my hunt in 90-1 and it was awesome! I can't believe the amount of animals that the land carries. We were so overwhelmed at all of the beautiful country and wildlife up there. And the antelope, wow, it was hard holding off as long as we did!

I am by no means a trophy hunter, the experience is what I'm after. That being said I exceeded my expectations with a trophy I can be proud of. I hope to post some pics soon, when I figure out how. Thanks to everyone on the site for your knowledge. This hunt exceeded all my expectations and I can't wait to go back for another hunt.

I'll post some pics and our hunt story in a couple of days. Just walked in the door and wanted to share. Good luck on your hunts, hope you're all as successful as we were.

Shortmag - glad you enjoyed yourself. We had a similar experience. I glassed dozens of 12-13" bucks. We couldn't find any bigger so my buddy and I each came back to Minnesota with respectable goats. I'd love to know from the experienced Wyoming hunters if the bigger bucks are all gone by the second or third week of the season.

We saw some really nice ones, but all of them were hanging out right next to the highway. I think they're smart and know that they are the safest next to the road. We sat and watched a huge buck that stood watching traffic for a long time. Then moved on because I wasn't going to hunt within a few hundred yards of the highway.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom