A fellow sportsman

Bugler

Had to come down from my mountain home, to see my grandfather off. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I found out about it while on the road to the Kaibab this last October for my wife and daughters deer hunt. It was pretty traumatic.
I have seen just about every type of death out there and deal with the aftermath in my work, and when i was in the Army etc. After 20 plus years of dealing with that stuff I thought I was pretty tough skinned against it.
anyways I had to come down because my pop called me and said I needed to come down a it would probably be the last time I would be seeing him alive.
This is a man who I learned so much about life from. about the woods, hunting, shooting a rifle fishing etc. He was more like a best friend over the years even though we are 40 some years apart. I am grateful I had him in my life and for him being a part of my childrens life. My daughter went on her first hunting trip when she was 2 my grandfather was there and had shot a big cow elk. It is a great memory. I have been on many hunting trips with him since I was small and even though i have dealt with, witnessed, and cleaned up after many peoples incidents and have tried to prepare my self for this I cannot seem to do it.
I am awash with grief over losing him from my life here on earth. He wont last long im afraid as only 10 percent of his heart is working at this point and he is at home now on hospice with the whole family around him.
Guys I just wanted to say that becuase of our trips together in the woods as a family we are so close. Remember that is one of the reasons we do this thing called hunting. At least it is for me and mine.
He has hunted his last season and will soon be gone.
How I will deal with it is only to be seen. Thanks for letting me vent here.
Bugler

Bugler sorry to hear what you're dealing with. Thanks for sharing the memories and reminding us how precious each and every day is...... Terry

Stay Strong Bugler...that is what your grandfather would expect of you...Just think of the good memories and you will get thru this ordeal... Best of Luck!

INSTEAD OF MOURNING HIS PASSING.............CELEBRATE HIS LONG HAPPY LIFE & BE THANKFUL HE TOUCHED YOUR LIFE. THE MEMORIES WILL CARRY YOU & YOUR FAMILY FOR YEARS.....YD.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-09 AT 01:42PM (MST)[p]I am sorry to hear this about your grandfather. May God bless you and yours during this time of difficulty. You will be in our prayers.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-09 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p]Bugler,

Sorry to hear about your granddad. Your relationship with him sounds very much like the one I had with my grandfather who died in 1985. Here's a link to another thread on MM that has an article I wrote about him on the day he died. You'll need to scroll down a bit to the #8 message. Look for "A Tribute To Pop."

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/9130.html

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

It is too bad that it takes situations like this for us to step back, slow down and remember what is really important in this old world. God Bless............

I hope you have peace when remembering your history with Papa in the woods, all we can do is live a life worthy enough to know we'll see our loved one's some day up there.....Manny

Bugler, that's tough to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm glad to hear that hospice is there to lend support. Those fine people are wonderful.

Eel

I feel for you and your family, I just when through the same thing with my aunt. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless.

Thanks guys. I am here with him tonight, layin on the sofa next to his bed. My pop almost fell apart tonight, I went and got us a couple of cokes so we could sit and talk a bit about a few things, a rare moment when you have a serious man to man about life and death and the things that were important in between.
I really appreciate my fellow hunters and will pass along the prayers you have offered without even knowing me or my family, that means alot and thanks.
My Grandpa fought a life full of obstacles, from a sharecropping tobacco family in Kentucky, WW2 where he was hit by a mortar, pulmonary fibrosis and leukemia to this and he has fought all the way. He taught us all to shoot and hunt and everything in between, I am proud and humbled to have been given the time in this life to have known and loved him. Again I thank you from my family for your well wishes and prayers.God bless.
Bugler

Bugler
I know what its like to loose somone that close to you I have lost three grandpas and one grandma to date. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this trying time. Keep the good thoughts of him close to your heart and remember he will always be with you.
Good Luck and Great Memories

Sorry for what you are having to deal with Bugler.. While it effects each one of us differently, everyone has their own way to process the loss of special people in our lives.
Be thankful for the years you had him in your life and cherish the memories. While we don't ever stop thinking about people we loose, time takes some of the pain away.. My thoughts are with you..

Jim

Bugler
As I continue on in the journey of life, I have come to an evolved understanding of death. It is true that when someone dies their physical body leaves this world, but their spirit lives on thru the loved ones left on this earth. Thru your memories and sharing of stories your loved ones live on with you in this world. More importantly they are never that far away. All you have to do is close your eyes and think back on all the good times with them and they will be there with you now. I find comfort knowing that I can continue to consult with those that have physically left this world, by reflecting back on my times wth them and knowing what advice and encouragement they would contnue to give me today. So yes, there is the inevitable and immediate heart felt loss one suffers and experiences with the loss of ones physical passing, but with time that will pass and I am confident you will come to appreciate that they are not that far removed from your life.

THanks for all the kind words and prayers folks. Grandpa passed on Tues night the 17th. It was a hard week being by his bedside. I stayed and helped him during the nights. On Monday I had to leave to come back home, the kids had school and I had to come back to work. When I said goodbye to him I told him I loved him and could have done no better in this world being blessed with a grandpa and a friend such as he was. He replied, "I love you too son."
These were the last words I would ever hear from him and I knew it at the time when I walked away, got in my truck and began our trip home.
He went to sleep after I left and never woke again. My mother, his daughter in law took such good care of him. I received the call from my dad at 1130 Tues night. We laid him to rest this Sat morning past, I gave a eulogy in the service and it was hard to see him like that.
Anyways folks I want you to know I told him about all of you and your wishes and prayers, he told me to tell you all thank you. He was a good man one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and walking behind in the woods for the last 38 years. I am lucky. He taught me almost everything I know about them woods.
Again Thanks for all your warm wishes condolences and prayers. I know for the most part that hunters really know the mortality of all living things and your wishes were genuine. Thanks.
JD

Now, you just need to continue straight-forward
in the manner he would want you to.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up.
I'm sure that's what he'd want you do do.

Larry

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 08:53PM (MST)[p]He sounded like a great man.
My condolences.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom