A LITTLE HELP FOR AN OLD GEEZER

R

randeye100

I hate to bother you fellows, but if I could get a little help on a couple of things I would greatly appreciate it.
I last hunted in Colorado when you bought a license and could pack out 3 muleys of any sex. I look at the likely hood of success in the draw, for units such as 22,23 24 and it appears there is a 100% issue on the draw. This is the area I use to hunt and still remember it some. I got my first buck here when I was 13 with a 303 British. I don't think my dad or any of the other fellows thought I would do any good, as they were shocked when I found them and told them I needed some help.
Also do I understand the CO regs, that I can buy a point each year for $25.00? Do I have to buy points in any area I would like ot hunt in? Is there a chart from somewhere that tells the success ratio in each unit?
When we last hunted there, we only had to ask the rancher if we could cross his land to get to the Government land with our vehicles. His only concern was that we made sure to close the gate to make sure his cattle could not go back in.
I hope to maybe have a couple more hunts in me, so any help would be appreciated.
Randy

If 22 is what you want to draw, put in for it and if you don't draw you will get a point. You can also put in for a preference point only if that's what you want. This year 1 pt for a non-resident was good enough to draw and some with 0 pts drew as well, but not guaranteed.
As far as driving across private property, those days are long gone. If you haven't paid a trespass fee, they will have you arrested, no joke. It is a money game pure and simple, plus people ruining it for the rest of us by not respecting their property.
That country has changed, it has changed dramatically in the 10 years i have been hunting there. Oil rigs, Gas rigs, roads and pipelines everyewhere.
Good luck, hope this helps.

Randeye100, Welcome to Monstermuleys!!

I haven't hunted Colo since 1992 though i've hunted there many times going back to the mid 70's. Seems i've missed the boat as they say as some of my close friends are now getting in on huge bucks every year on public property. That said, the country they hunt is some of the most rugged and steep country around. Some good hunting to be had but those days where i could run up those steep Mts while eating a sandwich, have come and gone.

Good luck on your quest. I admire it when a guy such as yourself wants to give er another try. I only wish i could help you more myself. Litch, above in post #1, gave you some good stuff for an idea how that country has been going. You might want to post your question here in the Colorado Forum if you haven't already done so. Hoping some here will give you what you're looking for and again, glad to have you with us. :)

Joey

Thanks Litch, its a start. What do you think about paying the money for a drop camp? I see some of those at a reasonable price. We use to see a lot of Muleys in unit 23. Is there any access to those areas without crossing someone's land? As far as waiting to gather points. I'm no spring chicken (65)and have had some issues. Feel pretty good last couple of years, but who knows what is around the corner. Really want to get a big hunt in before I go to the rocker.
Thanks RANDY

Thanks Joey, I have had some issues, but I think I have another big hunt in me. Maybe a drop camp looks doable. Gotta round up some other fellows whose got the right stuff to do 7 days in the mountains.;-)

RANDY

There is Much age and wisdom on this site. Joey is great for a young man but if you really want some good advice you should PM Eel, or Kilo. They can set you straight on path to the best strip clubs, and bars in the nearest towns as well as the best place to purchase Depends and Metamusol. I hope this helps you and yes they will let you join there geriatrics hunting club if you wish.

I guess that your post is meant to be entertaining. But if that was what I was looking for, I can afford that anywhere. How about you? I have no expierence with Depends. How about you?

Randy, it was a simple tease at the Senior crew around here. All in jest ,but you have to have a thick skin to hang with these guys. I hope you have much sucess in your furure hunt.

randeye100, good luck on your quest for CO information. I'm sure you'll get some quality help.

Don't be too hard on Jingow. He can be the class clown at times and is always ribbing us older guys. All in good fun, and he really is a good guy.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

F-U Eel, I'm 45 and feeling it. Hey I cant get your PM to come through, but I haven't forgot it. I'm thinking on a sea duck hunt up north, but I'm not sure I can pull it off. Hope the brant are dropping in for you. Thanks for the back up, and as allways my ribbing is ALL in jest to everyone. Sincerly, Jim.

Thank you for the jesting. I guess where I work, that side of me has been lost. Thats why its time to get back to the basics and open air.
Hopefully I'll be able to add some pics at a later date.

RANDY

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-09 AT 04:07AM (MST)[p]old farts diapers have many uses...a pillow, wrap your lunch in it for a hot lunch later, packs your meat....etc etc! jings a arse!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I might be AN arse Crack disaster, but at least I have a basic grip of the english language.L-c- My B-lls you mud duck hunting goon. Sincerly Jing

Randy,
My uncle that hunted his entire life was 80 and stumbling along on a walker in the bush to bag his last deer before meeting his maker.

Jim, since your PM is not working, the brant hunting has been fantastic. Last Sunday I let about a dozen flocks come into the decoys before I shot two. I love to watch the birds work. Never seen this many birds this time of year.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom