a little help wih turkeys

T

threelemonbob

My uncle drew out on turkeys here in utah. He can hunt until may 9. Weve been out a couple of times and seen some good birds but we have never hunted them before and if anyone has some good information it would be appriciated. We need to know what we need as in blinds calls and how to call. A question do they usually roost in the same spot and feed in the same areas? What shot should he use on one? How far should he shoot? What about with a bow? Any info would be nice

I am far from an expert but I would say to go buy a decent video that has western turkey hunting on it. Buy a call of some sort. I bought the Freak from Primos and am very happy with it. I just listened to the video and practiced for a couple months. I would strap it to my leg and practice to and from work everyday. That way my wife didn't shoot me and I got pretty good. If you know where the turkey's are then just set up in front of a tree and try to bring them in. I shot mine last year at 30 yards. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-04 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-04 AT 10:04?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-04 AT 10:02?PM (MST)

I'm no expert, but here is my knowlodge of turkey hunting. Obviously, it is an advantage if you know where the birds are roosting, at least in the general area, and if you know the roost tree, you will have greater success. If you can, try and get within 150-200 yards of that roost tree before dark without bumping the birds, and set up there, sit down with an object behind you (tree), and start working some quiet tree yelps and fly down calls, etc. If the birds get off of the roost and don't see much interest in you, it's probably because the toms have hens already around them and see no need to wander off and try to find another lone hen (you). The tough part about turkey hunting is that you are trying to reverse nature, because normally the gobble of the male turkey is used for the hens to locate them, and move to them. Instead, you are trying to call the toms into the females. Calling depends on the situation, but it is best to start out a little more quiet and if they like what they hear, you will know. Change it up if they are not responding, and just mess around with your call. Some good locator calls throughout the morning are an owl screech and a crow call (I use an owl call). The reason you are using these is to get the gobbler to give up his position. If you are unable to get the birds to work off the roost, I found that the best time to work the birds are from 9-11 A.M., because at that time the hens have moved to their nests, and the lone toms are wandering around looking for responsive hens. Obviously, the key to the birds not seeing you is to limit the movement at all costs. The turkeys sense of hearing and smell is lacking, but they make up for it in their eyesight. What range to shoot the birds is up to you and what you think you are comfortable at, but in general, the rule is 40 yards at a maximum (you are trying to put as many pellets in the head and neck area as your can at a high velocity, so patterning your loads is very important) With a bow, again, you should shoot what you feel comfortable, but a begginning bow hunter probably should be limited to 30 yards for a turkey, because the kill zone on the vitals is probably the size of cereal bowl.

Anyways, I think this may help you a little, and if it is too basic I apologize, but I figure some1 may benefit from this...

Oh ya, most turkey loads will work fine if used at a good range and aimed right, but I used 5 shot out of a 3 inch shell, which does the job fine. I also use a glass slate call, which is pretty easy for a beginner to use. Like the post above said, by a video and listen to their calling techniques. If you know how to use a diaprhram call, they are really effective also and keep your hands free.

Let me know if you have any other questions....

What unit did your uncle draw? I'll be taking out a buddy and his uncle this weekend as well. I've done alot of scouting. If by chance we will be in the same unit, maybe we can share some info.

he drew in west Emery county in utah. We know were there are some birds one even has about a 8 to 10 inch beard but any help would be nice

Its really hard to give tips on turkey hunting, its pretty much one of those things you got to learn by hunting them often. And i know out west its impossible to hunt them all the time and have multiple bag limits. Tactics for calling turkeys in changes with the hunting situation , how the gobbler is responding, ect ect. The best advice i can tell you is dont call really often. It will make a gobbler hang up and not want to come in killing distance. As you have probably heard people saying " that bird much have gobbled 100 times." And when you ask them where the bird is they say he didnt come all the way in, thats usually b/c they called too often and hung him up. I would get a good box and slate ( my favorite, ) and go to work figure out how to replicate sounds by listening to turkeys sounds on-line. Learn what each calling series represents. Look up "turkey sounds" on your search engine a few sites will pop up.

Try to get within 200 yards of thier roost in the AM. It really helps. Right when its getting light and the birds havent came out of the trees do a soft series of yelps ( tree yelp ). This is the hen saying I'm over here and I'm about to lad. Then hit'em with a fly down kackle. Now that the gobbler knows where your at regardless if he gobbles or not give him a little somethings to entise him. I start out with a lost hen yelp backed by a series of clucks, then i usually just purr and cluck. I like to keep it quite once he knows where I'm at. You see gobblers are used to hens coming to them, if you are sounding like a excited receptive hen he is just going to sit where he is struttin waitin for that horny hen. So keep it low key once you get his attention. For better words " play hard to get".... Good luck, I could go on all day.. Let us know how u do.

later, MP

later, MP

We will be hunting a unit in the southern region. so I guess we wouldn't be able to help out each other with info. good luck to you though.

threelemon,

Since the season is upon you, your time to learn to call and practice before season obviously is gone. My suggestion is to get a push button call for now. Hunt with it and get a slate call and a box call to practice with for future hunts. You were given good advice above about finding turkey sounds and listening to them. For now, keep it simple. Learn the "yelp". With the push button call, you don't have to worry about making the right sound. It does it for you. Work on the tempo of your yelping. Imitate the rhythm of the sounds you find in your search.

After the turkeys have left the roost in the morning and moved off and you are wondering how to find turkeys, a good technique, sometimes known as "cut and running", is worth trying. Basically, you call in an area for ten to twenty minutes and move on if you don't get a response.

To cut and run, a good rule of thumb would be to give three to five yelps, wait ten seconds and repeat, then listen for a minute and then do it again. If you don't get a response after four or five yelping sessions, wait ten minutes and try again, or move a couple hundred yards and try it all over again. If you get a response, respond back with a few yelps to let him know you heard him, then be quiet. As pointed out above, he will be expecting you to come to him so you need to make him wonder why that hen didn't come to him and get curious enough to come try to find you. If you call everytime he gobbles, he will hold his position and wait for you to come to him. But, don't completely go silent and never respond to him or he may lose interest and leave. If his gobbles don't seem to be getting any closer, then you can be sure he has set up in a strutting area and is waiting on you. All you can do is keep trying to make him curious enough to come to you (until you have had a chance to learn more aggressive calling techniques.)

Of course, if he has hens, he won't come no matter what you do, but in that case you can try to entice the hens curiosity and get them to come check you out and bring the tom with them. He will be bringing up the rear. Generally, when calling to hens, aggressive calling works well. When she calls, call right back with for or five loud yelps. It wont't hurt to be so aggressive as to cut her off in the middle of her call, making her mad and wanting to come kick your butt. And where the hens go, so goes the tom.

In the evenings, say three hours before dark, move to the roosting area and set up and wait for the birds to come to you. Do not set up at the roost or you may ruin the roost for awhile. Instead, try to figure out where the birds might be coming from and set up three hundred yards or more away from the roost. Every ten minutes or so, give four or five yelps to see if any birds are approaching and to let them know you are already there. If you hear one, call softly and sparingly. There is a real good chance the birds will ease over to you on the way to the roost.

It isn't uncommon for the birds to come in quietly so you need to be alert or one may slip in and see you before you see him. If you don't connect with the turkeys, then, stay till dark, listening for gobbles and try to identify where they are so the next morning you can go set up near the roost and hunt as described in an earlier reply. If you don't hear any gobbles, take a crow call and cut loose with it, before it gets pitch dark, cawing loudly three or for times then listen for a gobble. Keep the crow calling short or you may miss his gobble while you are cawing.

Movement on your part is your number one enemy when hunting turkeys. Their eyesight is legendary. Camo up from head to toe, covering your face and hands, too. When you call, be in a position to set up right then because sometimes they are real close or come running and you may find yourself scrambling for a place to hide while he comes in and sees you moving around. Once you are set up and calling, have your gun up in a ready position so all you have to do is make minor movements to put your sights on the bird when he shows himself.

As stated earlier, #6 or #4 shot will do an excellent job and keep your shots under 40 yards. Twenty to thirty is better. Don't aim at his body or he will keep on tuckin after you shoot. Try to catch him with his head in an alert "held up high" position and put the bead of your gun on the spot of his neck where the feathers quit and the ugly skin begins.

There's a whole lot more to turkey hunting than this, but the fun comes from chasing them and learning all these things. Anyway, this might help get you pointed in the right direction and let you feel like you are doing something for a reason and why. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom