A new low

bulls1

Well we have a new record. The smallest qualifying ranch for and elk tag in NM is now 1 yes 1 acre! The "ranch" is in unit 15, and recieves a unit wide MB tag this year. I am not against all landowner tags, but at some point the abuse of a well intentioned program has to be obvious?

Wow. I think I'll start looking for 1 acre lots in 15. An acre probably cost less than a landowner tag over there.

Can you please post a link.. i am PISSED... I am going to raise hell... AMAZING...
j

Find a acre or more and I will join in a 3 way partnership on the land,can't beat a tag every 3 years, a 3 way partnership should get the payments down low and you can have a tag every 3rd year wow that would be nice.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hey, the elk may have got into his garden one time and ate his squash, knocked over fence post, or drank 4K worth of water. :)

One year I talked to a land owner that was selling a bull tag near Taos for $800 bucks. He said it was a great deal because he was not allowing people to hunt on his land but on the whole unit instead. I asked him if he thought I was retarded. I had to break it down for him. First, he got those tags based on the animals on his land, so why would it make sense to not allow the people who purchase those tags to hunt on the land. Second, As a NM resident why would I pay $800 for a public land hunt when I could just go to Colorado and pay $550 for a 9 day OTC hunt. That landowners tags should have just been put back into the lottery for the normal drawing. Land owners are out of control!

A new low? Really? How about normal for New Mexico. Get real.... NM's a joke and has been for a long time. This is the norm in New Mehico.

Beyond ridiculous!

I do not blame the ranchers though.

The NM legislature/G&F need to can the Jennings Law (legalized poaching). That way when the ranchers vow to close their ranches, the elk eat them out of house and home. Not long after that they would be begging for hunters.

This is the exact thing I have been screaming about for quite some time. No offense NMPAUL but you get landowner tags as well and you know you don't have enough land to even think about getting them. I also don't blame you paul. If the system lets you in and its legal then why not do it? I definitely would. They point is that even the guys in the system that use it think its a joke of a system.

Lets see if those wolf loving guardians for wildlife or sfw will ever do anything about this. I seriously doubt it.

sounds like a joke! NM is jacked up look what they did to the diy NRs. dont worry residents, im sure those 1 acre LO tags just get taken outta the NR DIY hunters pool anyway! just a way to keep the dirty rotten sob NR's outta the nm hills.

Its also a joke when 3 elk occupie the land and you get a MB tag.

I do blame land owners to a point they know exactly what they are doing when they apply and many go out of there way to make these smaller ranches appear flooded with elk, take pictures so the G&F think its an issue. I have seen it first hand! BULL S%IT!

>One year I talked to a
>land owner that was selling
>a bull tag near Taos
>for $800 bucks. He said
>it was a great deal
>because he was not allowing
>people to hunt on his
>land but on the whole
>unit instead. I asked him
>if he thought I was
>retarded. I had to break
>it down for him. First,
>he got those tags based
>on the animals on his
>land, so why would it
>make sense to not allow
>the people who purchase those
>tags to hunt on the
>land. Second, As a NM
>resident why would I pay
>$800 for a public land
>hunt when I could just
>go to Colorado and pay
>$550 for a 9 day
>OTC hunt. That landowners tags
>should have just been put
>back into the lottery for
>the normal drawing. Land owners
>are out of control!

This is funny because don't they agree to allow access to their land by accepting the tag?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-12 AT 11:22AM (MST)[p]>where sis you see 1 acre?
>all i seen was 20
>as the lowest, which is
>still a joke!

It is on the small contributing ranch landowner list. Unit 15, although there are many "ranches" with less than 10 acres throughout the list of units.

>sounds like a joke! NM is
>jacked up look what they
>did to the diy NRs.
>dont worry residents, im sure
>those 1 acre LO tags
>just get taken outta the
>NR DIY hunters pool anyway!
>just a way to keep
>the dirty rotten sob NR's
>outta the nm hills.

I agree the diy NR got screwed. Problem is your not the only ones being screwed. Did you know that 28% of NM elk tags still go to NR if you include LO tags? Only 43% of NM total elk tags go to residents through the public draw? 16% of NM tags never get used because they are given to LO who will not convert cow tags. God forbid they sell them for less than what they perceive as market value. If a landowner will not use his cow tags I feel his MB tags should be cut in and equal %. Put them back in the draw if they aren't going to use them. It would have made a hell of alot more sense than what they did with SB196. Not that I was against SB196. I was for it until they decided to keep the outfitter pool, and put the burden on the diy guy. Make the SCR ranches PROVE depredation before they get a tag.

1. Repeal Jennings law. 2. Make all E-plus ranches ranch only. I am sorry if the elk aren't on your property during hunting season. Suck it up and let G&F hold a depredation hunt on your property when they are there! The ranches that do the most good for elk already recieve RO tags. 3. Clean house on the SCR "ranches" Prove you have depredation problems you get a tag. 4. Leave the outside of the core ranches alone, it is the only way to manage the elk in these areas due to lack of public land. 5. Get rid of the guided pool in the draw. Give 15 or so % to NR across the board. Any outfitter worth their salt will survive just fine. Many NR will still hire an outfitter, and there will still be plenty of ranch tags for them to sell and outfit.

i dont mind ranches that are having significant problems with elk getting a LO tag even if they only get the elk on their property during winter. They house the animals during a part of the year they should deserve a LO tag. however i think there should be a minimum amount of acres to be eligible for a LO tag. In utah you have to have 640 acres(1 full section) to be eligle to recieve on general deer tag. for every 640 of deer habitat you have you can get one tag given to an immediate fanmily member. kids, siblings parents. no cousins, no nieces nephews. A minimum acreage like that would make a lot of sense. i mean be real aomeone with 20 acres does not have enough land(feed) to hold any amount of elk for longer then a few days. unless of course its farm land and they are devastating it in which a depradation should be held

What a joke!

My dad owns some land in 34, and we noticed some elk have been on there. We would never go that route etc.

The deer permits leftover speak volumes also. I understand that you have to factor in the econ, but there are no deer to hunt anymore.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-12 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]did anyone see how many people with 2 acres got mb uw tags? a total joke. btw ox, your state is the ones screwing nr's leave nm alone. how many bighorn sheep tags did you give non-residents this year? 1? wow what a generous state. at least 75% plus of utah's tags go to residents. Look at your premium elk hunts. How many go to nr's. what, about 10% Lets make nm just like your state. Then you can scream cuz then you wouldn't get jack. Heck, I can't even draw a barbary sheep tag anymore cuz there's no nr cap and a hell of a lot of our barbary sheep tags go out of state. Then what happens? the nr's need the resident's help cuz they don't know how to hunt them. Then the nr's come on here griping how they got screwed. lets put a cap on nr bhs, barbary, ibex, and oryx tags first. Then we can cry how nr's are getting screwed. Not mad at you ox. We had quite a nice chat when you really got screwed on your archery elk hunt with all those spike hunters while I was on the dutton. But my problem is that it is getting harder and harder for the regular guys to simply go hunt their own back yard anymore. and before anyone says it i will admit im not a regular guy but a lot of my friends are and they deserve the right to hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-12 AT 02:56PM (MST)[p]

1. Repeal Jennings law. 2. Make all E-plus ranches ranch only. I am sorry if the elk aren't on your property during hunting season. Suck it up and let G&F hold a depredation hunt on your property when they are there! The ranches that do the most good for elk already recieve RO tags. 3. Clean house on the SCR "ranches" Prove you have depredation problems you get a tag. 4. Leave the outside of the core ranches alone, it is the only way to manage the elk in these areas due to lack of public land. 5. Get rid of the guided pool in the draw. Give 15 or so % to NR across the board. Any outfitter worth their salt will survive just fine. Many NR will still hire an outfitter, and there will still be plenty of ranch tags for them to sell and outfit.

Ladies & Gentlemen, the message above posted by bulls1 needs and deserves your full attention.

I agree 100% with his proposal.

Don't you?

I'm pretty sure with NR tag prices on the premium species the G & F has no interest in putting a cap on them...

I'm a nonresident and it always cracks me up when someone adds all the landowner tags into the nonresident total. Nothing's stopping a resident from buying that tag. It's actually much cheaper for a resident. Actual tag cost is less and less travel cost. I don't agree with the system and I'm glad AZ doesn't have it but unless someone figures out how to eliminate it you might as well use it. So maybe you can only afford a cow tag or a unit for a smaller bull at least your hunting. Im sitting on 8 bonus points in AZ as a resident and still didnt draw an archery bull tag. LO tag in NM is sounding pretty good about now. Did I think the nonresident DIY guy got screwed? You bet I did but I still applied this year because it's still an option. Sorry Stinky I got your Barbary tag this year! 1 tag out of 4 applications is more than I expected and if I want it bad enough I can always look at LO tags.

AZ,

You are exactly right about residents trying to hold the non-resident % of purchased landowner tags against the total %. A resident buying a LO tag has about at least a $1000 advantage by the time you figure travel expenses and the cost for a non-resident tag. Remember the LO tag isn't really a tag, just a certificate that allows you to purchase the tag from NMG&F. The fact such a high percentage of LO tags go to non-residents is primarily a combined factor of economy (i.e. people making more money than the locals) and the mindset of residents who wouldn't think about paying extra for a tag that they can sometimes get for under $100. The average non-resident DIY can't afford a LO tag either so throwing those apples into the comparison boat is just ridiculous.

The bigger point here boys it is a messed up system. It has been abused for years, and we all suffer res or non-res!

Yep, talked to a friend of mine that has 10 acres, drew a lop tag the last two years and has sold it. Said a guy he knows has 3 acres and drew one two. This is in unit 15. already scouting some property down there...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom