A picture is worth 1000 words

REDDOG

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-12 AT 11:55PM (MST)[p]Or is it?? Before I start this chit storm let me say I love big carts, weatherbys,ultra's etc..But when a friend asks what i recommend, its never one of the big boys, why? Mag confines of most of the actions the guns are built around..

1000 words

My dummy rounds i keep for seating depth 300 ultra and 7mm weatherby in the pic..So i try to explain why i recomend the 7mm rem over the 7 RUM to a friend tonite..i sent him this pic, his reply was that he didnt know what i was getting at..Can you guys see it?

20121104_233845.jpg

Getting at? Could it be that you need the much bigger action for the Ultra Mag loads yet the overall length of the regular sized mags using the smaller action, are only a fraction shorter and you can have the bullets seated way out near the lands?

The big stuff is not my cup of tea but seems reasonable to use the shortest action you can that allows you to get done what you want your rifle to be able to do.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-12 AT 01:53AM (MST)[p]
The action used for Ultra's is the same as the 7 rem..or 270 for that matter, there are two actions in factory offerings, short and long (weatherby MK5 gives a bit more room, part of the reason i like the 30-378 over the ultra)..That is pretty much what i'm getting at, you are forced to stuff 10 pounds of chit in a 5 pound bag. That bullet is sunk into that case so far i am compressing with 95 grains of powder..the 7wby has 82 grains in it, lightly compressed.Its to a point of diminishing returns. Will the ultra out run it? sure will, but not by much and look at the case difference.

This is the reason i went with a 7mm Dakota over a 7 Ultra or 7 STW. I am using an ultra mag magazine which allows me to seat 180 Bergers into the lands and they still fit in the mag.

Red- Is this going to be a custom or just a factory rifle? I am assuming factory and therefore agree with the 7mm Rem. Love mine and I can still hit the lands and fit in magazine with my rem 700. Just a thought. Why not a 7WSM?

Have you seen the 7mm Rogue yet? Pretty neat cartridge!

What I see is that you like the Barnes MRX. I had 2 great experiences with the MRX this year but Barnes has stopped making them. What gives?

805, yes he is just picking up a factory rifle, pretty sure he's getting the ultra.

Those are both LRX. I used MRX till they discontinued them, I really liked that bullet.

Nothing wrong with the 7RUM! What is he looking at? Rem 700 sendero or something lighter? What gr lrx you running in your 7mm?

Sendero.

So far i've only shot the 145 LRX in my 7mm, i just got some 168's this week..I want to try them both on some critters and go from there.my 7wby is a lighter wieght stick, and i can drive the 145's well out passed where i'll use them for hunting, so right now i'm leaning towards them..At the ranges i'll be wanting them for in that particular rifle the extra speed of the 145 more/less washes out the higher BC of the 168.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom