a1 tags

hoytman

ive never hunted in the area before but im heading up scouting next weekend. im going to check out the chester area in c4 and then head up to check out c1.any help would be great, no honey holes just general scouting areas would be great, thanks!!

i just put mine in the mail, didn't draw anything so i decided to do A-1, gonna scout this week end in C-1 ASAP...

Stay up high in elevation, The Chester area gets a lot of deer after some weather brings them down, so during the archery season there is not many bucks around that low. Good Luck! I drew an X3B archery tag this year so I will be missing out on the A1.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-09 AT 01:40AM (MST)[p]Chadrish, apparently you've hunted here before but i question your knowledge of this area.

You said, "The Chester area gets a lot of deer after some weather brings them down, so during the archery season there is not many bucks around that low."

Hunting high is never a bad thing but this area, especially during bow season, is generally not dictated by weather or weather related unless a unusual year with a very early good dumping of snow. Most of the deer high, low, and lower, leave this area for the Game Refuge during the first week of bow season due to pressure, not weather. A few remain in the higher elevations or near town but darn few and it usually takes a good snow to push the stragglers on down thru the trails, not to stay around Chester, down to the wintering grounds as well. The non-domestic, not backyard pets, deer are here one week and mostly gone the next.

By rifle season, i'd guess 60-80% of the deer have already vacated not to return until late spring. Most that get their deer every year sit the trails. Some of these trails are several inches deep. Year after year, once deer season opens, the deer hit the trails and can be 25 miles away and safe overnight.

I, weeks ago, PMed the original poster with some good info. I'm sure he can use or would appreciate more but the above post is very misleading. I just don't believe much of it pertains to this area.

Joey
Chester, Ca.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom