achery deer!

H

hunter1

i am looking to come to california for a blacktail to be closer to completeing my deer slam. what would be the best unit for over the counter tag for a decent buck. and best time to go. thx for your help.

For a true diy blacktail it has to be the (B) zone. On the map theres 6 different "B" ZONES but when you buy the tag its good for all "B" zones for archery and rifle seasons. And make sure you hunt west of I-5, it's considered the boundary for true blackies. The earlier "A" zone is mostly private and hot, unless you have private land to hunt stay away. As far as the B zone's, guy's take good bucks out of all the zones every year.Find some wilderness area and get of the road.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-08 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]I hunt the B6 unit and have all my life, you need to make sure exactly where the boundary is. I know in the area I hunt you have to be even further West then I-5 to be considered a TRUE Blacktail. So if it was me I would check into it. But I agree B unit is your best chance for a Blacktail, as far as a good one, well it will depend on where you go.

Good luck

Slide

That is good advice, Hardway, about A Zone. Very hot and if you don't have private land to hunt, it is difficult. Especially with the fires that have been down here, they've shut off a lot of the forrest. Not sure what will be open come September. That is the bad part about hunting A. They'll close off public land at any given time so there is no access.

Steve

thx guys i will start the research on area b then i dont really care if i shoot a 2 point as long as i can tag a true blacktail. i have noproblem hiking into an area to camp and hunt. is there usally alot of preasure in these areas. i take it this hunt starts in july or ? i have already made arangments for kodiack island next year so i can complete my deer slam with a bow, i cant wait. poor mans slam i cant afford the sheep slam. thanks again if anyone needs help for an az hunt let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, the archery season in the b zones starts around the second sat in august with the rifle opener around the second sat in sep. The A zone archery opens mid july with the rifle starting second sat in aug. Seasons usually run 6 weeks with a week off between seasons and the rifle seasons ending around oct 31st. Just genral info, better check to be sure. Sometimes a few of the B zones start a week earlier than others even though the tag is valid in all zones.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom