Action question?

locofife

I was just wondering how much of the accuracy of a rifle depends on the action. I have read about rifles being built around so and so action, but isn't the barrel the part that really determines how accurate a rifle is and not the action? What part does the action play in making a rifle accurate or not? Any responses would be appreciated.

The barrel is probably the most important part, but if you dont have a good solid action, or the barrel isnt fitted properly, you wont get your best accuracy. All the different brands will do just fine for hunting accuracy. Old timers seem to like CRF's (winchester)and bench rest guys like the PF's (remington). But thats not your question, so we wont turn this into a which is better.....Are you having accuracy problems with your gun?????

The accuracy problems that I have had so far are because of my own shooting skills and not because of the rifle. Although some of the problems could be because I have a tasco scope on my winchester model 70 classic. I won't really be confident that it is the rifle until I get a good scope on it. Will free floating the barrel make it just as accurate as a remington, or would I have to get a new barrel to make it a tackdriver? Also, I am thinking about beefing up the ruger 10/22 that I have and making it into more of a shooter. Big barrel, new stock that will fit the barrel(and look pretty cool to boot) all that. Will the 10/22 action allow me to shoot one big hole at 50 yards if I'm good enough and get a good barrel, or will it not be super accurate even if I get a good barrel?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-05 AT 04:33PM (MST)[p]The first thing I do to "accurize" a rifle is to work the existing trigger or change the factory trigger with an aftermarket.

What make of rifle is it and what caliber are we talking about?

I have a 10/22T (factoy heavy barrel, match chamber) and it shoots great, golf balls at 100yds every time!!!! As far as your winchester, I dont know if free folating will help you, it usually only does if you have a bad stock fit.....Im sure you can find a gunsmith to check it out for little or no charge.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom