Adenovirus

nontypical

Long Time Member
Anyone ever heard of this disease?

The Wyoming Range mule deer study has found out this disease is a major reason for fawn mortality in the Wyoming Range deer herd.

This study is being performed by WGFD/UW and is currently in it's 3rd or 4th(5th?) year. Due to last year's mild winter along with good moisture in early spring/summer, many of us Wyomingites were very optimistic about fawn survival and the resulting rise in deer populations for the coming years. Biologists found out otherwise. Fawn survival was about the same as most years( except for hard winters, where it is much lower). Bummer.

Anyway...deer are captured in December and March for this study. In the first year, does were fitted with collars and vaginal implants in December. This has also been done in all subsequent years. They are all re-captured in March. Data collected includes pregnancy( yes or no. Single or twins/triplets, etc), blood count, disease, fat content, etc. When a fawn is born, the vaginal transmitter comes out with the newborn. This enables biologists to know the location of the fawn and immediately go to that location to collect more data. The implant stays with the fawn so that any mortality can also be immediately known, and biologists can determine a cause of death very quickly before scavengers can destroy the carcass. I believe the original numbers of captured does was round 35. More have been collared since the original 35.

Disease is the number one fawn killer at 36%. Predation comes in 2nd at 27%, malnutrition 14%, trauma 5%, and 18% die of unknown causes. Not sure what the "unknown" category actually consists of( Don't know if disease could be part of this number or not). Adenovirus was responsible for 23% of fawn mortality. Dead fawns appear to be in good body condition except for some oral sores.

There is relatively little known about Adenovirus( AHD). Symptoms include pulmonary edema( fluid in the lungs) and hemorhagic enteropathy( bleeding in the intestines). Signs include difficulty breathing, foaming/drooling, diarrhea, seizures, oral sores. Mortality is generally higher in fawns than adults. It is believed to be spread through direct contact between deer and contact with bodily fluids. Airborne and contaminated water could also be contagions.

AHD was first documented in Wyoming in 1999( not sure where).

In 1993-94 an outbreak in California killed over 1000 blacktail deer in 17 counties.

If the same happens here, the impacts could be significant, especially in a winter range type situation where deer are more congregated than at other times of the year.

There is no known cure or vaccine for AHD.

Looks like AHD is a major contributing factor in the decline of mule deer in the Wyoming Range. Makes one wonder if this disease is going on elsewhere in the west...

An elk was diagnosed with AHD in January around Casper. It was a hunter killed calf and I believe is the first known elk to test positive in Wyoming.

Adenovirus is the common cold to Humans. There are many different varieties of Adenovirus it can effect the lungs, intestines, eyes and on and on. For the WY. range deer herd it is another reason (excuse) for the continued decline. There are a few interesting things coming from the studies. But this has to be very stressful and hard on the deer.

>Adenovirus is the common cold to
>Humans. There are many different
>varieties of Adenovirus it can
>effect the lungs, intestines, eyes
>and on and on.
>For the WY. range deer
>herd it is another reason
>(excuse) for the continued decline.
>There are a few interesting
>things coming from the studies.
>But this has to be
>very stressful and hard on
>the deer.

I don't think that a disease that is actually killing animals should be labeled an "excuse." We're all aware of the habitat, migration routes. and moisture challenges the deer face.

Sure I've heard of it Cliff. Goes back decades. I just hope it is not a chronic situation and we can keep growing those deer herds.

I was out hiking last weekend and the deer that I was worried about in late January look great. Sleek coats and great body conditions except for a few older looking white-faced bucks, which are lean.

Critters all look good and these spring storms will hopefully bring moisture but won't last too long. At least it is not real cold today.

I spoke to a WYDOT guy in LaBarge this week, he said they pick up over 700 deer annually from Hwy 189 between LaBarge and Daniel Junction. That is a huge number of deer, especially when factored exponentially with the number of does lost. That could be one good reason for the decline of the Wyoming Range herd.

That's not surprising, gasman.

Fencing and over/underpasses could be a great benefit in that country.

>That's not surprising, gasman.
>
>Fencing and over/underpasses could be a
>great benefit in that country.
>
Instead of muleys fanatics and wygfd wasting money on migration routes that are known. They should spend money on over passes and killing coyotes, but they have proven to be a disappointment so far!

[font face="verdana" color="green"] Jake
Swensen

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom