Advice on optics

PaBen

I live in the east and I never been on a mule deer hunt. I drew a November archery tag and looking for any advice on binoculars and spotting scope. I can't afford Swarovski right now. Was thinking about vortex. I want to get the best glass I can afford but I don't want to waste money on something I don't need.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-19 AT 06:49AM (MST)[p]That's exciting, hunting Muleys is a blast. Icon of the west. I have Swaro, Leica, and also Meopta. And to be honest if I was to do it all over again I would save my money and buy all Meopta glass. Quality, extremely sharp glass edge to edge and about 1/2 the price. I have owned some vortex glass in the past, nice warranty that you will probably need, and the glass isn't that great. Just my 2 cents.

I would suggest checking out Kowa optics. I have two Kowa spotting scopes and I'm extremely pleased with them. I have no experience with their binos but I'm sure they're worth a look also.

I would do a 10 x 42 bino would work. The best you can afford . It's a investment. You can always sell quality optics after your hunt if you choose to. I think for a spotter get a 80 mm or better for early morning and late in the day. Vortex spotters will do fine and a great place to start. Their bino's are okay. But if thats all you can afford. It is better then nothing. Remember out west you can glass miles away. We are not talking yards here. Have fun and enjoy the Rocky mountains.

great advice so far. buy the best that you can afford.
if you go vortex, get the razors they are better than the other models from vortex. if you watch on classifieds you can pick them up fairly cheap. like bigjohnt said 10x42s will be perfect with a good spotter. i opt for the 65mm spotting scope personally for weight, but carry an 85mm occasionally. i personally run swarovski because im a glass snob.... :) but i can understand not going that route for cost.
ive heard the kowas are really good, but i haven't looked through them, also maven and meopta like already mentioned. don't forget leupold too. they are starting to make some good stuff with their binos and spotters.
ultimately its up to your eye, you need to get your hands on a couple different makes and models and see what fits your eye the best. once you found it then go with it and don't look back. good luck! mule deer are so much fun to hunt! my favorite big game animal for sure!

"Shoot Straight"

Great advice given already. I'd also suggest you contact Doug at Cameraland. He can get you setup and is a great guy!

There?s a Vortex that just popped up on the classified forum. That might work out for you especially if you're only going to use it for one hunt

Thank you for the great advice everybody! You have mentioned a couple brands that I have never heard of. I'll have to do some research. And I need to figure out how much I need to spend.

I'm a swaro guy myself, but check out Maven. If I was looking for a budget friendly optic they would be on the top of list with the previously mentioned meopta.

Coloradoboy

You didn't mention what your budget is? But a good mid range bino is the Nikon Monarch HG. They are very close to the Swaro SLC. Very clear and super bright. A little more chromatic aberration than the slc but you really have to look for it to notice. LL bean runs 20% off coupons everyone now and then and you can pick up a set for around 800. But, they do have field flattener lenses and some guys eyes, mine included, don't get along with em.

The Vortex Razor and Zeiss Conquest are about the same with the Zeiss being just a little brighter and a little sharper, at least to me. You can find both for around 800.

Yup, great advice thus far. Go with the best you can afford and then stretch it a little more, you will be glad you did. You?ll also need to budget for a quality tripod and head. Make sure you go carbon fiber or aluminum in case you need to pack it. Get an attachment for your binos to tripod too.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Vortex razors are the best value in above average glass. 10x42, Put them on a tripod and you won't need a spotter inside 1000 yards. I've used swaros, leicas, and looked through zeiss, and they are just barely better at first and last light. Don't be tempted to get vipers (binos or spotters), they are inferior and it will sour you on the brand.

Maven C series or Athlon bino. Athlon Ares spotting scope. Great value in this setup, very well reviewed products that are plenty useable for the field.

Used Swarovski is always an option. They tend to hold their value very well, you can buy a set that's 10 years old for say $1400, and sell them in 5 years for about what you paid.

2a0fcsk.gif

PaBen,

Where in PA are you located. I live in eastern PA near Pottsville and have some high quality optics that you could check out if you live nearby. Send me a message if you are interested. I have a good quality tripod also.

Paul

Vortex customer service and warranty is second to none. Best is set your budget and get best possible option for your budget ~ don't forget tripods. Hard to find bad glass fierce competition has created many good brands. Just like trucks- Chev, Ford, Toyota, Dodge- everyone has different opinion. Look at MAVEN as well, very nice glass and maybe the only you can customize. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-19 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]I'm just gonna repeat what was already said since you were given great advice.

Binos first. 10x42-50, somewhere in that range. If going with Vortex, the Razor line is what you want to price. But every brand mentioned makes quality glass, just stay away from their respective cheaper line. Buy the top model from which ever manufacturer you choose/can afford.

Spotter? Like was said, a quality tri-pod and head will set you back $300 alone. I like the Vortex Razors. I have the mid-size one (15x65?) cause it's more packable. If money wasn?t an issue, I would go with Swarovski.

My favorite glass is my Swarovski 15x56s binoculars on a quality tri-pod. Best for finding game. But they are a luxury for someone doing their first western hunt. And heavy.

Whatever you buy, take it outside before you buy it and look at distance.

Good luck.

If you can't swing both and don't do much western glassing/hunting, you could always look into renting a spotter for the hunt. After the hunt, you might be able to decide if you spent more time glassing with the binos, or if the spotter was a necessity for you.

Thanks again everybody. PLK I live near Warren in the western part of the state. If you were closer I would definitely take you up on your offer. I just noticed that B&H photo is have a one day sale on the Vortex 10x42 Fury range finding binos for $799. I have a range finder but I need an a upgrade so I was think of killing 2 birds with one stone. Any body have any experience with this binos.

PaBen,

You should also check out the classifieds here on Monster Muleys. Camera land has some great prices on some Leica Binoculars and I here that they are great people to deal with. You should call them and ask a lot of questions.

If you are interested in Maven, do the loner program first to make sure you want them. They have fairly large eyecups and may not fit some brow and eye socket configurations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom