AK Moose Sheds

berto

Very Active Member
Went out a couple weekends ago, or attempted to anyway when my car blew a headgasket so this was the only pic i could take...

IMG_1038_1_1.jpg

so made time to try again saturday and took my wife's car since it will be a couple weeks 'til i get the salvage yard engine i ordered from TX last week, and it will probably a couple more 'til i get it put in. anyway, i took a new friend of mine along who had never been since he is a dyed in the wool fisherman (salmon runs haven't yet started here yet so he had some time to burn). of course i forgot the camera saturday, but a picture of him and i in the yard with our finds will have to do!

IMG_1139_4_1.jpg

my goal since i moved up here last month was to find a fresh moose shed, so i am thrilled to have found some bone here before things leaf-out and make it nearly impossible.

fun stuff!

I drooled over your elk sheds, now I guess I'll druel over the moose. Good Job!

thanks boneaddict.

since i knew i was going to miss the entire shed collecting season in MT cuz of my move to AK, i made a commitment to myself to find a decent moose shed up here this spring or die trying!

guess i will live now ;-)

Nice finds, i'll bet that makes you feel more like youre getting to know the place ay?

You guys got any ticks up there yet? They were out of control down here for a while, still a few out but they have dropped of a lot!

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Hey Tony,

Yeah, a little antler success never hurts, especially given my minimal effort so far, but i admit i got lucky. i still have much to learn!

No ticks at all up here. i have not seen a ingle one and i have asked multiple people. they all say ticks do not exist here...now mosquitos on the other hand... :)

I'm trying out that permethrin insect repelent - the soak solution as we speak. I wonder if guys use it up there for the skeeters? It has no oder and kills them buggers. . . You migh have to put some deet on your skin, but this permethrin stuff stays in your cloths for up to 6 weeks or so. . .

good luck if you get out again, and I hope you get that suburu fixed, sounds like it was out of warrenty ay?

Awesome Aaron!
How has the transition been for the wife and kids?
Is your friend hooked on sheddin now?
Jeff

T,

I may have to look into that military-grade premethrin you are trying...for now i will see how it goes with wearing long sleeves/pants and smothering myself with deet.

Yeah, Subaru of America covered headgasket failures in my year car for only the first five years or 100K miles (whichever came first) of ownership. i am at 9 years and 134K miles, so i am waaaay outta luck! based on previous research i did when i bought the car 17K miles ago i knew i was "driving on borrowed time", but the price was right so i bought it anyway. now i will pay the price for that decision!

LAST EDITED ON May-09-07 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]Jeff,

The new buddy of mine that i took with me last saturday is truly a fisherman at heart. by the time we picked up the second side to the nice set of sheds he voiced a bit more interest in maybe keeping the next decent set we find together. but i do not think he will ever catch the fever like i have it!

Transition has gone well for the kids cuz they are still at flexible ages (5, 7, 9). The older two are in school. Younger stays home with mom. older two really like their new school and the people there which is obviously key to their happiness at this point in their young lives.

Transition is ongoing for my wife. at this point she has been having more good days then bad and we are doing our best to get tied into the community here. for example, we became offical members of our new church last sunday, so that should help her get to know more folks with time.

me, i am just happy to be at my new job (soooo much better fit than the job i had for the last 12 years) living here in this outdoor fantasy they call AK! :)

i took the time to check google earth to see where exactly i was last saturday when i found those moose sheds. it's a bit tough to decide where to go around here cuz the country is absolutely HUGE, but i looked at some maps a few minutes ago and settled on an area i will take my fam to this weekend while we are out checking access to some of the area rivers...salmon runs are coming soon!

good to hear from you. take care

Berto, glad the move went well. Thanks for posting pics!! That pic of your car is definately " as it lays." Looks like you made it out okay though.....

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom