Alaska Advise

Tank

I have never been to Alaska, but have wanted to go ever since I can remember. We are considering a move to Anchorage in about a year and a half, when I graduate from Nursing school. I love to hunt and fish. Hunting big muleys are my passion, but I like hunting elk with a bow in the rut. Most of my hunting is done out of a back pack in Idaho (and I have a lifetime license in Utah as well). I prefer to hunt alone, and am pro hunting like that for up to a week.
I know that Alaska isn't known for its mule deer and elk populations, but would love to get into sheep hunting and definately salmon fishing. Is that a good trade off?
So my question is for those Alaska residents, or those who have experience with Alaska. What are the pros and cons of becoming an Alaska resident? Or would you just go up to hunt and fish yearly? What say ye?

I don't care for the Midnight Sun!

Them Skeeters pack a Punch!

Alot of neat stuff to see up there!

Guess alot of people think it's neat until they find out how short the Summers are!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

This coming from a 38 yr Alaska resident. Mind you, I've only lived along the southern coast (Juneau) and have spent hardly any time in interior

Pros:
You get a PFD check every year.
You get cheap licenses.
You get 4 deers tags with a 5 month season.
Allowed 2 black bears every year.
1 brown bear every four years.
You can pretty much go sheep, goat, caribou and moose hunting every year.
Excellent fishing (including shellfish)
World class skiing and snow (if you live in the lift serviced town near Los Anchorage or Juneau)

Cons:
Cost of living.
Long and dark winters (you better like snow/winter sports)
Touristas during the summer
Specific jobs may be hard to find in the smaller cities.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]Tank, I've kind of struggled with that myself. So far I've stayed here in the "outside" and gone to Alaska as time and money permit.

Don't forget, Alaska is in lock down from about Oct. 15th to May 1st. hunting and fishing wise. (except for blacktails) I'll be steelhead fishing this weekend and clear into March.

On the other hand, between June 1st and Oct. 1st your arms get so tired in Alaska, you need all winter to rest up.:)

If I had it to do over I would move to Alaska and never look back.

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

Do it! Make the move, you can always come back down the road. I've been so close and just never made the leap, now with a family I just don't see it happening. Still try to get up there every other year. I believe nurses are in high demand across the state. Alaska is just unbelievable, and vastly different, from Juneau to Prudhoe. Man up and make the move.

Make the move to Alaska as a legal resident and find a way to spend the winters in AZ or Mexico. That way you have the best of both worlds.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-11 AT 07:16AM (MST)[p]i moved to alaska for 4.5 years i lived in los anchorage. wild place prostitutes every where " bumsickles " laying in the gutters, panhandlers everywhere unbelivable crime rate...the first 2.5 years it was so fun the darkness and the light in the summer. but the winters get hella old......you cant even get the mail without feer of falling on your arse. things i miss

wages !! i worked at alaska regional hospitial and made 10 $ more an hour than i made in adapoe!

northern lights nothing like them

the people are very cool not the stuck up fakeness that is down here

the fishing BUT it's not like t.v. any where there is a salmon and a road it is combat fishing !

hunting !!!!!!!
permaninant fund dividend !!!
things i hated.......the 8 month winters, panhandling natives,isolation from family,very expensive to fly in state, but i am wishing lately i never left ! good luck

"Don't forget, Alaska is in lock down from about Oct. 15th to May 1st."

Can't agree with that. You can trap all winter. Ptarmigan hunt in late winter. Blue grouse starts getting good in late April. King salmon in the salt is very good May 1 and is pretty close to peak at Memorial Day.

I imagine stream fishing around Anchortown is combat fishing at its finest. If you live on the coast, a boat is a must. For fishing and for deer and bear hunting the islands.

learn to fly and have a great time.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I just moved from Alaska this summer. A guy I worked with up there told me that the amount of fun you have in Alaska is proportional to the amount of big boy toys you have. ATV's, trucks, snowmobiles, etc. will make the Alaska experience more enjoyable. You should be able to make a decent living up in Alaska as a nurse (considering that it is a 4 year wait to get into UAA nursing program, wife looked into it while we were there). If you were to weigh everything out between the opprotunitites staying here and going up every fall and vice versa, I think it would be better to go to Alaska. A good Dall sheep hunt for a non-resident is upwards of close to 10,000 or more. Cheaper liscenses for residents. Species hunts are like alot of the hunts out West (3 different hunt choices per species), no points system, some hunts you can only draw once every 4 years. See if you can get a job with the VA hospital they just opened up outside of Elmendorf AFB (I am not sure if they will let you use the Army/Air Force Rec Camp at Seward if you are a VA employee). Also when you decide if you are going to make the move let me know, my wife worked for a real estate/property management company in Anchorage, they might be able to find a place for you up there. There are some drawbacks like some have already said, but the pros outweigh the cons. Besides if you don't like it you can always move back.
WVBOWAK

I moved to Anvik Alaska in Aug. of 2010 from Montana. Its a little native village on the Yukon River. Its like a whole other world out here. My wife and I are teaching 4th through 9th grade in the village and have 9 total students. We actually sat down last night and figured out all the pros/cons of living in AK thus far. We came up with some of these:
Pros: I got to go Yukon moose hunting, although I was unsuccessful it was an entire different kind of hunting than i'm used to. We cruised all the rivers in the area in search of moose coming to get a drink. Pretty much all of the village shot their moose, and I just had dumb luck.
-The village has really taken my wife, son and I in as one of their own. We attend community dinners and birthdays, new years parties..etc. The people here are very friendly to us.
-Although i didn't get to shoot one yet, the opportunity is still present for me to hunt and shoot wolves. I will include a picture of one my student shot. He knew how much i was into hunting so he had to show me. I stayed up until 3 a.m. helping them skin it out.
-I also got to see my first Grizzly dead. For the first 3 months i was here, we lived in a old cabin (one of the first cabins in the community i think) with wood heat, and no running water. It wasn't uncommon for my wife or I to make a trip in the middle of the night out to the outhouse to take care of business. I was always weary about doing so, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. About a week after we moved into a nicer, a place the school had built for teacher housing, this Grizzly was shot really close to where our out house was.
-The Anvik River is known world wide for its fishing. Although I have spent numerous moose hunting trips on this river I only fished it once, and caught some 8
to 10 lb salmon. The river is also known for its pike fishing. We plan on doing some ice fishing to try for some of the 4 footers that are pulled from the ice every year.
- I've got some snares and things to do some trapping.
- There are some moose running around close to the village,,, so i just might be able to pick up some sheds... wish me luck...
- Although they are sleeping, you can shoot 3 black bears here.
-Moose hunting around these parts are really cheap, even for non-resident. $85 for a "Harvest tag" in some areas.

CONS.
-To hunt here you need to find someone to take you. These people hunt for the food and need to fill their freezers before they want to take anyone else... So its kind of hard to find someone to tag along with.
- The winter hasnt been long thus far. I have been pretty busy, being a teacher and a maintenance guy for the school, so its going buy at a steady pace.
- I am a huge horn hunter.... It is killing me not being able to go look for whitetail sheds now, and muleys later, and then finally elk. hopefully some giant moose paddles will cure this.
- I also love mule deer hunting... This was the first year in 14 years i haven't shot an elk and deer. I was very hard to swallow at first.
- As far as being alone in this wilderness...i wouldn't advise it.
Not once did I step out of the moose hunting boats and not see Grizzly tracks.
I could come up with a whole bunch more..but im sure your getting tired of reading so ill just stop and set you up with some pics of my "adventure thus far."

1744griz_layed_out.jpg

6432griz_teeth.jpg

2581big_hind_paw.jpg

5201wolf_family.jpg

8467wolf_on_table.jpg

4785wolf_one.jpg

2165wolf_three.jpg

9132wolf_two.jpg

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Tank, A lot of good advice here. If I were you I would ask Bearcat. He knows just about everything about Alaska. You could ask him what time it is in Alaska and he would tell you how to build a clock in the backwoods of Alaska out of a tin can and a marshmellow for a spring.

Rutnbuck

Thanks for the good advise. I have always wanted to go up there. Not sure if I will go up to live or just go up during the summers. Thinking about doing a travel job up there for 3 months. Family will be home, and I can do all the exploring I want on my days off.
It is really hard giving up the quality hunting I have here. Get to hunt 170+ class bucks and 320+ class bulls every year. Duck, goose, pheasant, quail, and coyote within 15 minutes of the house. Maybe the grass isn't greener up north. Decisions...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom