alaska DIY moose hunt

ridenmuley

I am looking to do a DIY moose hunt in Alaska this next fall with a friend of mine. I am looking for any advise, help, or experiences people might have. Originally I was thinking of a float trip but have heard that a lot of the large moose along the rivers have been over hunted due to the popularity of these float trips. I would like to take all my own gear (tent, stove, cooking supplies etc) but with the weight limits on the drop planes (some 50lbs per person) have read more and more about the guide services that will supply all the gear for you then drop you off where they have set up their gear. All you have to do is show up with your cloths, optics, food, and gun/bow. What units do you suggest? Who do you fly with? Float trip or drop camp? My gear or a guide services gear? Any items I must bring that i might not think about, any other suggestions, advise, or stories greatly welcomed. Thanks for any help.

My dad and I have gone with Papa Bear adventures out of Bethel twice. Great operation/people. Honest and don't bullshit you about their clients success. They do drop hunts and float hunts. The first year we brought all of our gear, weight limit is 125lbs. Worked good, second time we rented tent and kitchen kit from them, worked great, didn't have to ship it up there and it was a great tent. Either way is good.

When we first went up we were thinking of a float hunt but then after thinking about having to tear down camp and set up camp every day during prime hunting times wasn't something we wanted to do. So we did drop camp and it worked well for us.

They don't guide, so you do all your own hunting/packing.
Their clients shoot some big bulls each year but not every client shoots a big one, it is still hunting.

I wouldn't bring a spotting scope, a good set of 10x binoc's works, you will NEED hip boots hunting with them. You live in your hip boots. We would wear water shoes around camp when cooking/eating/cleaning etc...
Two sets of rain gear minimum, wouldn't hurt to have 3 sets. All lightweight stuff though, low temps are usually 38-45 highs are usually 50-58.
We brought rifles both times, I bowhunt to but paying that much money I want to maximize my chance of success. It is very possible with a bow though if you want to do that.

If I could afford the money and time, I'd moose hunt with them every year.

Also, no matter who you hunt with. Get an alaskan airlines credit card. I think it needs to be platinum or higher. You get one ticket a year for $50 plus taxes when one is purchased at regular price. So you and your hunting buddy share the discount and it saves you a few hundred bucks.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

If you haven't hunted AK moose before, you are probably better off with a drop camp or guided hunt. It is very possible to bring your own gear and hunt DIY, but it is hard for the rookie to be successful. Figure in the cost of shipping your gear ahead of time, as well as the return cost, and sometimes the drop camp isn't that much more expensive. You also may not have the gear you really need.

This year during the moose hunt the Denali area experienced 4 days of 80-100 MPH non-stop winds. Not all tents can handle these conditions. I've done float hunts, boat hunts, drop camps and DIY moose hunts. Each has its advantages, and disadvantages. Ultimately your success in harvesting a moose depends on your willingness to work and the area you are hunting. Great moose are taken every year on DIY hunts, but a lot more are taken on fully guided hunts. You better be really good at organizational skills if you want to plan a DIY hunt. The fact you are starting now is a good sign.

Ask specific questions if you have them, but good hunts are had throughout the state with a variety of outfitters. The converse, unfortunately, is also true.
Bill

I to have hunted with Papa Bear. I agree with everything mntman had to say about them. Personally, I prefer a drop camp to a float hunt. If you do a drop camp think a great deal about the terrain you will be hunting. Where we hunted with PB was flat as a pancake and about 12 inches of standing water just about everywhere. If you have the skills and patience needed to hunt this type of terrain then it can be very productive. I went back to alaska a couple of years later and hunted more mountain/tundra country and had a more enjoyable and more productive hunt.

Rent some of the bigger gear if you can. It will be cheaper and easier than shipping.

Mulecreek, we have hunted both types of terrain too and actually liked the flat "water" better. Funny how people have different preferences. Did you get a moose out in the flats?

Mntman

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

i did not. I saw a small bull that I decided to not take. I saw another 45-50" bull swimming across a lake one evening but did not have a shot. Hunted that lake the next morning and called in a bear. Tried for 10 minutes to get the bear to leave but he would not. I ended up shooting the bear and that seemed to hurt the spot for moose. Saw a good number of cows but no other bulls.

Those flats obviously produce just not for me. To each his own I suppose. I tried climbing trees, beaver lodges anything I could to get some elevation.

So what kind of budget should one allow for a DIY drop camp and renting gear? I did a caribou hunt in 2007 and we spent about $6,500 per person all inclusive from Los Angeles, CA.

+2 for Papa Bear. We rented most of our gear from them, all of their stuff was top notch. We did a drop hunt, which I preferred. I didn't kill one, but had around a 60" bull at 50 yds, but didn't have a good shot with my bow. Done deal with a rifle. Only negative is we went Sep 1-9th. Too early for any good rut activity. Rain everyday, and we sloshed through muck, mud, marsh, and overall shiit. Don't bother with a spotting scope or fancy camo. Get the best rain gear and hip boots and then plenty of polypro long underwear and socks to rotate out. We brought an electric fence and it payed for itself the second night on a black bear. Tons of black bears, no brownies where we were. A head net is also a must. Steve and Robyn are awesome people and they have a very nice place in Bethel with great pilots. Get everything you need at home or Anchorage, Bethel's prices will make you laugh. I plan on going again, if I can keep my wifes fertil loins at bay! Dang kids are cutting into my hunting fund!

Sagebursh, that would be the highend of the costs including shipping antlers and some meat back. Your cost varies depending on how much meat you want to bring back home.

Mntman

Thanks for all the info. For those of you you have hunted with papa bear what units did you hunt. Did they Put you in an area they selected or did you do the picking. How were the moose numbers. Any other hunters in the Area? Thanks

not sure of the unit number, we just buy our license from him when we get there.
You won't be near any other hunters, he doesn't put you any where close to someone else and he doesn't use the same spots every year. both times we went we were the first hunters ever to use those spots.
Good numbers, you will see moose if you hunt.
You tell him what kind of hunt you want, and he picks the area for you from that discussion.

Mntman

I had a great experience with 40 Mile Air. Honest people, with honest expectations. Sounds like you can't go wrong with either of these services.

Papa Bear adventures is a great outfit

Romans 10:13
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

Just booked with Steve and Papa Bear. Can not wait for this adventure. Ill keep you all posted and im sure will pick your brains for some info. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom