Alaska Fishing or Africa Hunting

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
I need some help....

I have been wanting to book a trip SOMEWHERE for a couple of years now. I have been saving and looking for some great deals and trying to decide on what to do and where to go.

I have finally got to the position that I am wanting to go THIS SUMMER. I have been wanting to go on a COOL Alaskan fishing trip for a while. I have been looking at areas and what I wanted to do when I got there. I think I have finally found the place that I want to go. I was within a day or two of booking this trip for August.
Well....a friend just called and just bought a African hunt for June that is a pretty dang good deal. This trip has been a dream for all my life...I just have not wanted to go alone and wanted to find a good place to go. This seems to be the real deal and he booked his flights this week and wants me to join him...AHHHHH What to do?!?!?!

I am not in the position to do both trips this year as we just had a baby on Saturday. I need to pick ONE and go with it. They are both trips that I have wanted to do!!! The Alaska trip is only one week and is about $3000 less money and the Africa will be about 15 days...that is a long time to be gone.

I want to do BOTH...just cant make it work!! What would you all do and why???

I have done really good Alaska fishing trips in the past for $1,500 to $2,000. Africa is more and would be my choice if I had saved up enough money to go. Just my .02

Never done the Alaska fishing thing, not much of a fisherman...but Africa is AWESOME.

Africa2010_N471.jpg

Africa2010_N062.jpg

Africa2010_N049.jpg

Africa2010_N006.jpg

Africa2010_N467.jpg

Africa2010_N306.jpg

FLEH!

Quit being such a Tight Ass and do both,You know You want too!:D

You know I'll take care of things while You're gone!}>

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Well Hell yes I want to do both....I want to do both BAD!!!! Maybe I should start charging YOU to take care of things while I am gone...I will pay for Africa...you pay for Alaska!!! DEAL?? You can even come with me to Alaska....lets go!

If you can go with a friend , I would say its better than going alone ! Take advantage of have a traveling buddy .

So?

You're gonna start 'Chargin Me' to Prune the Grass?:D

Since Your Friend is already going that Africa Trip might be the Deal?

Plus that'd give me 15 Days!:D

That Alaska Trip is fun too FLEH,done it a couple years ago,2 weeks went by like 2 days though,wish I woulda had 2 Months up there!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Not even close... Africa!!

It's been a dream of mine to go and I'll be leaving for my first Safari, along with my wife, this July.

However, I do want to go fishing in Alaska some day!!

Even though I am not the type of guy to go to Africa, I would rather go to Africa than go fishing in Alaska for a week. Africa for 15 days would be awesome, I went fishing once in the 4 years in Alaska, it was an interesting experience. WW went on a day trip for halibut, I had fun and several of my family members that went had a blast (even my wife who started puking 15 minutes before we dropped anchor at the first hole), my one family member who had deep sea fished before even chummed over the side, and I at one point felt like letting breakfast go. We almost limited out ( everyone on the boat except my wife caught our two halibut), I thought I would be picky after the first one I caught but truth be told I got tired of waiting for the big one so the next one that came about at the end of my line I told them to tag it. If it was me I would do Africa, especially if a friend of mine was going, it would be a trip of a lifetime.
WVBOWAK

I second Africa, and you can't go wrong if you are going with friends. I am saving up like mad for my African safari, planned for next year with friends.

You can catch halibut anytime. You can only shoot some African species in ome place in the whole world. That made my decision!

Congrats on the new hunting buddy, btw.

Pred

HEY DIPSTICK, LISTEN UP, YOU HEAR!!! Do you even need to think about this for more than like, a minute? If so, buy a plane ticket and get your butt back out here and we can discuss it down in my room that you sleep in when you visit. How many memories down there come from Alaska fishing trips?

If you haven't figured out which one I would chooose (and since I've hunted Africa 4 times and fished Alaska more than that, I'm qualified to offer an opinion), get your butt back out here and I'll talk some sense into you, if that's possible, over a short turkey hunt.

If you need to even think about this at all, you're a dork! You can go to Alaska anytime, you may never get to Africa if you don't follow the Nike slogan and...."Just Do It!"

SHEESH!

No way any african trip can price out close to what an Alaskan fishing trip costs. You need to factor your dipping, shipping and taxidermy fees for africa, and you can usually double whatever you are spending for the rest of the trip on all those. Are your trophy fees included? I don't want to piss on your parade or anything, but there are a lot of hidden costs in getting there and back with your trophies, whereas its a buck a pound to process your fish and you will end up with enough halibut and salmon for a year. I'd do the fishing trip and chunk some money into juniors college fund.

Big money for Africa even if its a deal. That is not something I'd make a quick rash decision on. I'm the kind of guy that has to do some serious homework before I plop down that kind of cash. Taking a buddies word for it just wouldn't cut it for me. I'd have to make sure it is EVERYTHING I want before my wallet comes out.

HEY DIPSTICK, SOMETHING ELSE TO THINK ABOUT....

Now, you and I have hunted together a few times, and you know a duck blind is a great place to get to know a guy and talk about all kinds of stuff. So remind me, when did you tell me how much you were looking forward to fishing in Alaska? I can't seem to remember. But, I can remember you telling me how much you'd like to hunt in Africa someday, and you've talked about that more than once.

As for those who worry about dipping, shipping and taxidermy, it can be expensive, or not, depending on how you do it. Last time we were ther was in 2009, and my dipping cost $600 bucks, shipping was about $800 and about 8 months after we got home. Taxidermy has been zero since I've got the nyala and kudu skulls sitting in the game room, unmounted for now, and won't mount the other animals at all.

Here's a little something to help you decide. A pic I took on my last trip.

7796cape_buffalo_re-worked_by_roland.jpg

And if that picture isn't enough to motivate you, maybe this one of Danny will help more.

2323danny_and_his_big_kudu.jpg

OK, did that help you with your thinking???

BTW, I hope you're getting up in the middle of the night so that Ashley can sleep some. If you want to go to either place, you better be helping her out. ;-)

CAelknuts is right...dipping and shipping isn't free, but it's not too awful. Not only that, but like he said the costs are spread out some. Besides, by the time your hides and horns are ready to be sent home you'll be so ready to have them that paying a bit to get them won't hurt too bad!!

I brought home six animals and every single cent from the time I dropped them off to be worked on in RSA until they hit my taxidermist's shop in Utah was $1,656. I've seen cheaper than that as well, depends on what exactly you're having dipped and shipped and who's doing it. It's an "extra" expense of hunting Africa for sure, but it's definitely not half of what your entire hunt will cost like you sometimes here from folks.

Africa is a great deal for what you get, but it's still not cheap, I'll definitely admit that. It is worth every penny though!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-11 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]I really love to fish.
Salmon & steelhead have driven me crazy for years.
Fished Alaska back in '88

I vote Africa.

Never been, and at 50 years old it's on the old bucket list.
I'm green with envy as I read Stinktstomper's opportunity at the 200lb Leopard.

Listen to Dan, he's the Man!

HH

Dan.....why dont you go ahead and tell me how you feel about this!! LOL I was waiting for you to post as I KNEW how you would feel about it all.

You would think that this would be an easy decision. I REALLY REALLY want to go to Africa. This is a trip I have dreamed of my entire life. My problem is that I wanted to be able to shoot everything on my list when I finally went.....well, if I got in June that list will have to be cut back. I just dont have the funds to kill everything I want. HOWEVER...I think I can kill a few good things! The trips Trophy fees that are INCLUDED are for an Impala, Blesbuck and a Warthog. I have looked and I think I can add a Kudu (I would not even think about going if I could not) and also a Zebra. I still think it could be a fun trip with only those 5 animals. As for the dipping and shipping...there are 3 guys that are planning on the trip. We are going to try to fill a crate and split the shipping between the 3 of us which will cut down on the cost. I do not have to pay for any airline tickets as I have WAY more Delta miles than I ever could use.

That being said...it is still going to be about $3-4000 more money to go to Africa and also be gone for 15 days. That is rough...

I will be honest and tell you that I feel Selfish for wanting to go on this trip. I have a wife and 3 kids to worry about. They love to go on Vacations and get away and I LOVE LOVE to go with them. This will be quite a hit on this years Vacation plans with the entire family...and I am feeling a little selfish for wanting this JUST FOR ME! Is that wrong? It actually is not really a money thing...more of a time thing.

Man...this is stressful and a lot harder than I thought!!!!!!

I really enjoy wading the rivers and streams in the Alaskan wilderness with a flyrod in my hand. Early September Rainbows are awesome up there.

You're a good man for thinking of your family first! That part of the decision I don't think anyone can help you with! :)

I was able to take my wife with me to Africa (no kiddos) and having her there really helped make the trip what it was. She had an awesome time and I wouldn't have wanted to go without her.

I understand what you mean about wanting to be able to take everything you want...I was on a budget over there, like most of us would be. Here's the thing though...there are SO many critters over there it'd be almost impossible to go once and get EVERY one that is on your wish list! Take what you can get! ;-)

AFRICA!!! I guided in Alaska for 5 years and and if a client had told me they turned down a chance to go to Africa to come up fishing, I wouldah hit them with the club and pitched them overboard.

A few more pics for you...here are the animals included in your package...may not be kudu, but they're still pretty darn cool!! :) All the animals over there are way cool! In fact, blesbok was on of my favorites!

Africa2010_N235.jpg

Africa2010_N039.jpg

Africa2010_S080.jpg

Most guys don't go to Africa just once, it does become an addiction. You won't shoot everything you want on your first trip so you might as well resign yourself to the fact you will be going back again. I'm heading to trip #4 in the not to distant future..... after telling myself the last hunt there would be my last hunt there :)

My last shipment back cost under $1400 for 8 animals. (Euros and tanned hides). Not that expensive and you don't have to pay that for several months after you get back usually and that cost can doesn't have to be budgeted in to the hunt. Taxidermy is expensive but you can have that done by the piece at your own pace.

"I will be honest and tell you that I feel Selfish for wanting to go on this trip. I have a wife and 3 kids to worry about. They love to go on Vacations and get away and I LOVE LOVE to go with them. This will be quite a hit on this years Vacation plans with the entire family...and I am feeling a little selfish for wanting this JUST FOR ME! Is that wrong? It actually is not really a money thing...more of a time thing"

Do everything in your power to take your wife along, as an observer. As I am sure they have told you, your accomadations will be nice and I am sure they will give you a good deal to bring her along.

Besides, she will get excited about it and let you shoot a few more animals. Besides, it beats a divorce lol...

Woody....I would LOVE to take her...There is just one problem, well not a problem, just an issue.

We just had a baby on Saturday and he will only be 3 months old and still Nursing. So....no way Momma is gonna leave baby boy to come to Africa...and I am not gonna bring a baby.

Still a tough decision!!! Thanks for all the comments, but you guys posting pictures are sure swaying my thoughts!!!!!!

Fish

Do both Alaska and Africa and come to Kona next year. Next year we add deer hunting to the menu on one of the other islands.
Please bring about 100 lbs of red salmon if you come over.

JASON....

Africa can be a family place!

9891family_with_nyala.jpg

If you don't take Ashley now, you'll need to take her in a few years. I've taken my wife on 3 of my 4 safaris, and nothing has caught her yet. Of course, she did get chased up a tree by a cape buffalo once.

Camping is better in Africa also. Beats cold and wet, around a damp smoky fire!

8615erindi_pics_157.jpg

That is, assuming you like comfort, conversation, and convenience. :)

OK, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but for my money I'd have to go to Africa. I realize it will be more expensive but how many times do you think you'll have a chance to hunt Africa vs fish in Alaska....

Jason, have you consulted with B BOP to see which hunt he wants you to take? How long is he willing to 'stand in' for you? ;-)

Heres a picture of a sable my ph says is staying on his property and to add more fuel to the fire he says this sable isn't even close to the big one that lives there.

8235sable2.jpg

then theres the giraffe I shot 2 years ago. Think you're gonna pull one of these off the bottom of the ocean with a hook? lol

1237blackbull.jpg

I'll go against the grain and say Alska fishing. So far the Africa bug has never bitten me.

But thats me....If you got a good deal in the works and hunting that country s a lifelong dream I'd say go for it.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-11 AT 11:49PM (MST)[p]Africa is a life's dream for most hunters. If I had the money and time I would definitely go to Africa before going to Alaska.
My first animal would be a Kudu followed by a gemsbok.

Eldorado

Ok....I have made my decision.

This was not an easy one. I have dreamed about BOTH trips all my life and I just do not know why both had to come at the same time. It was not something we just decided over night either. Thanks to all your suggestions. It was fun to see what everyone else would do.

Just because of TIMING....I am not going to Africa. I will be booking my trip to Alaska this week for a trip the first week of August. I am VERY excited and can not wait to get up there! I am going with my Father in Law and possibly two of my Brothers in law. We are super excited and I am really looking forward to it.

After LOTS of thinking and discussing of what to do....the timing of the Africa opportunity was just not good. Being I just had my son and being the trip was only two months away I just could not justify it. Another MAJOR reason that I decided to not go this time, is that I REALLY want to take my wife with me. I have talked with lots of folks who have taken their wives and family's and it has been a GREAT trip. For this reason..I am putting off Africa. My wife has been TOTALLY supportive and would have let me go in June if that is what I would have chosen...but I want her to go with.

So....off to Alaska I go in August of this year.....and Africa is now FIRMLY planned for June or July in 2013. We are now looking at the areas we want to go and will book soon.

Cant wait for both trips!!!! Thanks to everyone for the opinions!!!!!!

You should have a great time,especially with your family along ! I guess me and all of the monster muley guys will have to go without you to Alaska another time. :(

John....I am up for multiple trips to Alaska...that is no worry! I just wanted my first Africa trip to be a good one and not a rushed one, so that is why it is being postponed.

A MM trip to Alaska...I am all in for that!

No offense Stinky but WTF would you want to shoot a Giraffe?

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom