Alaska Guide Creations Bino Pouch

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
I just bought some Leica BRF 8x42s from CameralandNY (great deal, thanks Doug!!), and needed a harness for them. I was tired of all the bouncing of the regular elastic strap harnesses, so I swung up to Outdoorsmans to pick up the Alaska Guide Creations Bino Pouch.

The product was made with quality, and I really liked the accessory pockets to carry other little things. It also, didn't hit my bowstring, which was a concern.

Though it took away the bouncing, it presented a few other problems. The pouch held the 8x42s a bit too tight, necessitating 2 arms to retrieve my binoculars. Also, unless I held the pouch down during bino retrieval, the pouch would be up near my face until I could wiggle them out...which would also necessitate a refocus. Once out, I again had to use another hand to pop off all the lens covers. There were too many steps involved for a quick glass at an antler tine or something of the sort.

I do like the idea of protection for a $2k+ piece of equipment. And for riding to your spot or roughing through the thick stuff on the way back to camp, this pouch would be great. But for quick glassing on a hike, or on a stalk, these would be a big pain in the butt to get your binos out.

I hate to give a negative review to a small company like Alaska Guide Creations; but it just wasn't what I was going for.

[http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/store.html]

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I have the same bino pouch. However with my Swaro 10X42 SLCs there is room to spare in the smaller of the two sizes the bino pouch is offered in. I can get my binos in and out one handed no problem. Those BRFs must be a lot bigger than the 10X42 swaros. Also, why do you still run lens covers if you would keep it in the bino pouch. Yeah that would be an annoying extra step that is not at all the fault of the bino pouch. I would suggest getting the large size bino pouch and removing your lens covers and you'd be set.

I do believe the BRFs are a bit bigger than the Swaros. The BRFs do fit snugly in the pouch; but it was just a pain to get them out. I mostly bowhunt, so it would be a pain to put my bow down everytime I wanted to glass something.
I suppose I could take the lens covers off..I guess i'm just paranoid about having them exposed that much. Which isn't much by the design of the pouch; but a little desert dust down here in AZ, and it's guaranteed to creep in the pouch and cover the lenses. No biggie, I know...
The main problem was the trouble I had getting them out of the pouch. Like I said, they fit snugly, so it took some wiggling to get them out. And the more I pulled them up and out, the more the harness rotated, and the next thing I knew, I was wrestling with the pouch at eye level....just to sneak a peak at a buck or something.

If I was to forget about the lens cover thing, and sew on a hook to attach to my belt, the pouch would work. The hook to my belt would hold the pouch in place when i'm wiggling them out of there, and would would hold it a bit more secure when hiking hard.

Overall, it is a good product, and getting close to ideal..at least for me. But I still have a hard time spending $50 on a simple piece of equipment, that I still have to modify to work.

I have the same pouch and carry Swaro 10x42 EL's. The pouch fits perfectly and you are right the lens covers take a second hand to remove. I guess I am a little paranoid about lens also, I will try to use them without the covers next time. The things that I didn't like was that during early archery season the pouch creates a hot spot and I really work up a sweat when hiking. One thing that I modified is the bottom strap on the main pocket to keep the lid closed. It is routed over the front zippered pocket and renders this pocket somewhat useless. I cut and sewed the strap back behind the zipper so that I can access the pocket without unsnapping the main pocket. Overall this is a great product and I believe he will get there with a few mods. Can't please everyone.

I agree with that HoofsUp. Well put. Just a couple tweeks and it would even please my picky a$$!

Get the Badlands Bino case... BadAzz! Badlands will even modify your badlands pack so it will attach directly to it, or you can just use the harness system that comes with it.

I also have the Alaska Guide. I loved the concept, but hate the problems it causes when I need to get to my binos in a hurry. I have missed getting a better look at numerous bulls because of that problem. I also found they are not waterproof or resistant at all. I spent the day in the wet snow and rain last year and found my binos were soaked even with the lid shut tight. I love them when riding my horse though, they stay snug to my chest and don't bounce off the saddle horn.
I only spent $35 and change for mine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom