Alaskan Brown Bear

smitty

Very Active Member
I'm headed to Alaska the end of April for a 10 day Brown Bear hunt. I'm hunting 90 miles or so west of Anchorage.

Going to be a bow/rifle hunt over bait and spot and stalk. It's a depredation area so I'm able to kill 2 brownies and 3 black bear. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

I'm pretty comfortable with my gear. Just wondering from guys that have been there, what is the most important gear item you take to Alaska in the springtime?

I've talked with my guide several times about gear lists already. I'll be taking waders to combat the rain and wet. light clothing in case we need to spike camp. head net for bugs. Anything you experienced alaska guys suggest?

Thanks

Take two different head nets for bugs. They have one size for mozzies and another tighter one for no-seeums. They tear real easy if you are in the bushes. Helly Hansen rain gear, better to be hot and sweating than being bitten to the bone by bugs, if it turns off warm.

Thanks a lot for making us jealous.. good luck to ya. Looking forward to seeing pictures

Take at least 6 Head Nets & 4 Body Suits!

Don't know if anybody makes a Pecker Net?

But if they do get a few of them also!

When them Bugs see a TARD in Alaska they start Smiling!

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

No BS smitty!

I seen locals up there wearing Short Pants!

F'N Skeeters just eatin them Alive!

They'd Say:'They Ain't Bothering me'!

I Think them Alaskans have been Bit so many times they Can't Feel it anymore!

The guy that took us Fishing on the Rivers was one of them!

I'm tellin you them Bugs thought I was Candy!

They'd Lick the 100% Dete off like it was Dessert!

And Remember:

You're Huntin Bear!

Don't Stink!

Don't Move!

And Don't Sctratch!:D:D:D

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

>Are you really going to shoot
>five bears ? What are
>your going to do with
>all of them ?

Does it matter? It's a depredation unit. The bear population in these units are hammering moose numbers. That is why Alaska game is trying to reduce numbers. I'd kill five and wish I could get a 6th.

smitty, who is the outfitter your using on this hunt?

Thanks
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

I've been on 4 Alaskan big game hunts, a mid October caribou hunt a late October Grizz hunt, an April Grizz hunt and an April brown bear hunt and and have never seen a bug.

The first cold frost kills the bugs and they don't come back until the weather warms.

Still better safe than sorry... :)

Good luck on the bear hunt!!!

Dryboot said something about spending a week or so in Logan about that same time. Hmm.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom