Albq to Tucson Question

kilowatt

I will be going to LV in June for a Reunion with my Vietnam Army
buddies and planning on a trip after to see two close friends, one in NM and the other in AZ.

Most likely in June, I will visit a friend of mine in actually Tijeres s/e of Albq for a few days. When I leave to head to Tucson to see another close friend, trying to figure out the most scenic route to drive.
Should I go I-25 south to Lost Causes, NM (j/k) then I-10 west to AZ and up to Tucson?

2nd idea...go down on I-25 to Socorro, take Hwy 60 west either to Springerville, Az then take 180 south to Alpine and then take 191 south to I-10 and west.

3rd idea...again go to Socorro and out west on Hwy 60 to Datil and then south on Hwy/Rd 12 to junction of Hwy 180, then to Silver City then take RD 90 to Lordsburg at I-10 to Tucson.

probably will never see this part of the two areas again, so just incase I never get back that way again, want to take the most scenic and best roadways even though I will be in my 4x4 PU...don't need to break down in some god awefull area as I will be alone.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

X2 for Alpine, but it would be quicker to go I-40 West out of ABQ, then south at just before Grants, through the El Malpais to Quemado, then across to Springerville, then down 191. Don't go through Silver City. There is nothing there to see; just a few old cowboys and some hippies.

Socorro, quemado. Springerville, alpine then 191 in my opinion is a good route. Good blend of road quality and scenery and travel time. The plains of San Augustin with the VLA between Magdalena and quemado are cool to see.

Hwy 191 is windey but pretty good road otherwise.

I-10 a lot easier drive and faster. And the scenery is neat too. The desert around lordsburg is pretty. Especially at sunrise. If you really wanted to make it an adventure you could drop south at Lordsburg and cut across the Peloncillo mountains on the Geronimo trail to Douglas and cut across just above the border. Would not recommend this in a sedan. Or if you are in a hurry.

>socorro datil reserve luna alpine
>the heart of nm elk country
>

Ditto. Lots of elk all the way thru.
Or over to Quemado and down to Reserve.
Get to see the Sawtooths and Mangas and Escondido Mtn then.

Drive slow if your going morning or evening or you'll hit one.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-14 AT 07:51PM (MST)[p]All mentioned make great trips. Make sure to take the Coronado Trail(191). It's between Alpine and Morenci.
If you have lots of time, take the Black Hills back Country By Way. It's a decent dirt road between Clifton/3 Way and meets back up with the 191 kind of near Safford.

I just noticed you mentioned going in June. Probably not a good idea to take the Back Country route during that time.

Thanks to all of you that made a post here that was great. I am going to do some Google Earth the various routes and make a decision sometime next month. My friend in Tijeras use to hunt years ago but not anymore. He knows I do and might even have a suggestion later.

Capt. Coues....your last reply is much appreciated did not want to deal with snow and or ice....I want to have a good trip and not have to deal with any problem areas. Hunting season that is a different story.

I plan on going out of Tijeras on road 337 down to road 55 then to 41 and then to 60. Take 60 back west to I-25 then points west/south towards I-10 in AZ. Those other routes all seem interesting.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-14 AT 07:08AM (MST)[p]No need to take 55 to 41 to get to 60 unless you really want to see Estancia or Willard NM. Nothing to see there. just take 337 south to 55 and turn right it will take you to Mountain Air. and save you an hour you will never get back.

rockn9859....thanks for the heads up and I will make note of this too. I had actually already done the GoogleEarth that way first. Then looking at map figured this other way might be faster. Thanks again FYI.

Brian http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Just know that it takes 3 hours to get from Alpine to Morenci. Good drive, but pay attention to the road!

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

dang302...thanks for the info on that route....no way. Three hours to drive 93 miles I think, no I know, will go another direction...Thanks.
Now Bessy could do that run in half the time but would need another set of NEW TIRES...LOL

Brian

Ditto to ABQW thoughts..one place you need to eat is Roberts Cafe in Tucson..guaranteed..pies and pancakes..route you will be traveling is quite scenic....good travels!hth

Brian,
I travel up into that area from Phoenix quite a bit. I would definitely travel through Springerville and then up into Alpine and have lunch. Then what you were told about the time to drive down 191 is pretty accurate, very pretty country but 15 MPH curves most of the way down. If you down want that slow trip to head south, then I would go East out of Alpine into NM through Luna on 180, very beautiful country and travels along the San Francisco river a few places and a couple of small towns, Glenwood and Alma. Then take 78 through Mule Creek and then through the Black Hills area below Clifton and Morenci (saves you about an hour travel time going down 191) into Safford and then south to 10. You may want to take a day around the Benson area to check out Karchner Caverns, great caves to visit. Not sure what your travel time is but very scenic route I laid out for you and visit the caves if you have the time!
THX
DAN

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom