All around hunting suppressor?

elks96

Long Time Member
Have been wanting a suppressor for a while now. About 3 years ago I was looking around and had a few that seemed preferred…

What is a good go to suppressor for a little target shooting and hunting? Calibers will be 223-233-270-300win mag…

We won’t be burning a ton of ammo, not shooting competition. Just want to calm kick, decrease noise and have a more enjoyable shooting experience. Lastly weight is a concern, don’t want to add a bunch of weight to my lighter rifle.

I’m using the SiCo Omega 36M with a brake ASR. Shoots good, it’s modular so you can shorten it up for hunting if you want to reduce weight if you wanted. But it hasn’t been an issue for us.

Look into rugged. I like the fact I put their muzzle breaks on most my rifles and can quickly put the suppressor on any rifle. I like the radiant 7.62. Like the length plus I can decrease the length but also gain a little more decibals if I do that

Lots of options. Everyone has there favorite. A good dealer will take you out shooting and try out the demo cans. Try them on to see how they feel and get the experience to shoot a few models

Don't waste your time with a gunwerks suppressor. Built cheap, can't get hot, can't put on 5.56 and wasn't impressed with the sound

The rugged surge which has great sound levels had a free tax stamp couple weeks ago. The length is a little longer

DT is a red herring. We can fix a DT insert in a Dominus-CB if you want but mounting on a CB brake is superior.

In general, they suppress the same so for hunting the Ultra 7 is a better choice unless 0.75" in OAL matters a lot.

Have a dear air nomad titanium, and siCo harvester evo in jail, super happy with my dead air, took my buck with it this year, other bucks and does had no clue what was going they didn’t move off until I walked up on my deer

I have one only. Banish 30. Very little experience with any others. I love it, though. I have every intention of going and doing the paperwork for another one for the last couple months, and maybe this afternoon.

Huxworks ventum if weight isn't an issue for you. If you want as light as can be, look at the nosler 30 they just came out with. Stupid stupid light. Once we get the huxworks in that's the one I'll be after. Has a great vent system that works good for bolts and also semi autos If you slap it on an AR.

Last edited:
I run TBACs. Like them.

If you want to save weight look into the Banish Backcountry. If you buy now, you get a free .22 can. Heckuva deal.

Just started my background for a huxwrx 762 flow ti. Amazing weight and tech that self tightens. Full auto rated too if you want it on an AR or anything.

I really like the Banish Backcountry. Short and lightweight makes it perfect for a hunting setup. I just shot a buck a couple days ago with my 300WM and backcountry. It was actually a little weird shooting without the loud muzzle blast.

I did a Banish 30 evaluation a couple of months ago and posted it in the Reviews forum. Short version, it quieted my 300 WM to less than a 22 WM. And reduced the recoil significantly as well.

The Banish can be completely disassembled for cleaning. OEM recommends something like 100 or 200 rounds however I would NOT recommend that. PITA to take apart after only 40 rounds. From now on, after each range session, or say 20 shots, it's coming apart and going into the sonic cleaner. Solvents don't completely clean it without disassembly. Guessing that applies to other brands as well. But I have seen some that could not be disassembled. After seeing the crud in mine after 40 rounds, I would never consider one that couldn't be disassembled.

Any suppressor that can be disassembled for cleaning or any other reason is a sales gimmick. Any suppressor can be cleaned without being taken apart but rarely is it ever actually required. Mine have thousands of rounds through them have never been cleaned nor do they need to be cleaned.

Most manufacturers are pitching a gimmick full of buzz words to make you think their product is better for any number of reasons.

Look for a suppressor from a well established MFG that doesn't come across as a used car salesman. There's alot of junk out there, don't buy into the gimmicks.

I have multiple cans and don’t shoot without one anymore. The only downside to them is added length and weight. That said look for a direct thread version to save weight on a hunting rifle. I like the quick connects for ARs but not for hunting.
You can get shorter cans but you give up sound suppression for the most part. Theres resonators and 5” cans but they are not good cutting decibels. Find something that is rated to keep sound levels less than 140 db on a 300 mag. You’ll be able to shoot that without hearing pro at game once or twice. You will still need it at the range though or any time you can get it on.
I use a SiCo harvester and will soon upgrade that to Scythe Ti or harvester evo

Any suppressor that can be disassembled for cleaning or any other reason is a sales gimmick. Any suppressor can be cleaned without being taken apart but rarely is it ever actually required. Mine have thousands of rounds through them have never been cleaned nor do they need to be cleaned.

Most manufacturers are pitching a gimmick full of buzz words to make you think their product is better for any number of reasons.

Look for a suppressor from a well established MFG that doesn't come across as a used car salesman. There's alot of junk out there, don't buy into the gimmicks.

I'm not being disagreeable, just sharing my experience for the OP to make his own decisions.

I was very surprised at the amount of buildup in the can after only about 40 rounds. When I attempted to disassemble it, it was stuck. I was able to remove the end cap but not the 2" extension. After soaking in various solvents for a couple of days, and sonic cleaning it several times, I was able to separate and remove all the baffles. I was surprised again when comparing the baffles I was able to remove to the ones I could not. They all got cleaned the same way the same number of times, and the ones I couldn't originally access were much, much dirtier.

Also, do an internet search for "stuck suppressor." You'll find hundreds of questions about how to un-stick them. That tells me that carbon buildup is real.

Mine went back together with a light coating of high temp Never Seize. There were a couple other recommendations that weren't as messy, but I can't remember what they are.

Tbac dominus, ultra 7, SiCo Scythe Ti, AB....plenty of good suppressors out there.

Fyi, I'd avoid Dead Air for a while until they get things figured out. The way they handled their recalls is terrible, there are guys still waiting on their repairs they sent in months and months ago.

If it was me I'd look into one of the first 3 I listed above.

Rem how well does it reduce recoil? as good as any muzzle brake.
No, a suppressor will not compare to a muzzle brake in terms of reducing recoil. What it does do is change the recoil pulse, generally speaking making it slower. You'd be surprised though because just reducing the noise and pulse change can make it seem much less than it actually is.

Anyone use a suppressor on a rifle big enough for elk and can watch bullet impact on target through the scope. Anything similar to a .270/ 130g bullet?

Anyone use a suppressor on a rifle big enough for elk and can watch bullet impact on target through the scope. Anything similar to a .270/ 130g bullet?
I use a suppressor on every rifle I own. Spotting your own hits is not a problem up to regular size magnums, really big magnums can be tough to spot your shots.

I use a suppressor on every rifle I own. Spotting your own hits is not a problem up to regular size magnums, really big magnums can be tough to spot your shots.
Thank you. I hunt solo most of the time so I’d love that advantage on a longer shot.

It’s a good suppressor. Go over to pew science and research a bunch if you haven’t already done that.
I've been trying to decide between that and the dead air nomad Ti. I've spent a bit of time on pew science as well. I think I've all but decided to go with the Hyperion K.

I've been trying to decide between that and the dead air nomad Ti. I've spent a bit of time on pew science as well. I think I've all but decided to go with the Hyperion K.
Like I mentioned above, I wouldn’t get a nomad until they sort out their issues.

The Hyperion would be a very good choice!

Like I mentioned above, I wouldn’t get a nomad until they sort out their issues.

The Hyperion would be a very good choice!
Yeah this isn't the first place I have read about Dead Air having some issues, that was what kind of swayed my opinion. Thanks for the response!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom