Alta Utah Hunting...

It has been a few years but there were some big deer and huge moose in the town of Alta. I don't think you can hunt inside town limits and they are very protective of the local animals. As long a s you have a good map and are out of town limits on forest service land you should be ok. Check with the Utah DWR or the Alta town marshal. I have not seen many elk in the area. I lived at Snowbird for 4 years and was in Alta a lot. Great area and some big deer and moose but you need to know where you are.

Utah400Elk....(or anyone else):

How busy is this area during August - October (before snow flies) as far as human traffic in the hills etc? Are there any main trails or concerns I should be especially aware of other than the "Hunting Boundaries" or Private Lands?

?-ERock-> ?

The hills around Alta and Snowbird are always busy. However after Labor Day the traffic mid week drops to almost nothing. The only concern I would have is to make sure of where you are. You will have anti hunters in the area and they will know the boundaries.

There is a forest service booth that will hand you a map of the legal hunting area. Unfortunately, the legal township of Alta has been extended to encompass the ski resort and most of the entire basin from Snowbird to the ridge on both sides of the road.
Follow the map and avoid the other 25 archers and you will do fine.

There are more mountain goats up there now than deer it seems :)

Cheers,
Pete

Where is the Forest Service booth located?

....And Mtn. Goats???? I have never seen those up close and personal, so maybe I will strap on the pack for a little pre-season this weekend!

?-ERock-> ?

+1 cantclosethedeal...

...except you'll need to avoid more like 125 other archers rather than just 25. It'll be a zoo up there.

Thanks Elkstalkin, that was the map I already had so glad to know it's still the same.

Anyone taken any animals off this unit - PIX etc??

?-ERock-> ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom