Alternatives to Sitka or Kuiu

prizes14

Im looking at upgrading my gear from my Carhart cotton coveralls and wal-mart sweatshirts to some better synthetic stuff. Any recommendations for some stuff that is just as good but lower priced than Kuiu or Sitka?

I wear a lot of Sitka but one of my favorite shirts is Cabelas microtex. They wear like a rock and dry super fast, and are super quiet. They sell it in 2 thickness'. The also sell microtex pants but had a giant cargo pocket over the knee that I didn't care for. They may have changed it since I bought and returned the pants. There are usually some great sales on Sitka where you can usually get 30 to 50% off.

kuiu runs sales every yr around thanksgiving. Nothing wrong with the teton line.

Smartwool merino would be good for a base layer, solid color though. Sylo or skre would work for midlayers. I prefer kuiu for rain gear. Cabelas microtex is reasonable and the Octane line up is good stuff, their hybrid puffy is worth every penny.

Go one item at a time get the fit right. Sitka optifade is the best pattern to hide from people but their sizing sucks..Capri pants and their sleeves hit mid fore arm.
Buy a pair of First lite guide pants in a solid color. You will be amazed. Don't know your trade. But there are pro deals out there. Only way I own this stuff.

I slowly started buying first lite gear a couple years ago and have a pretty healthy layering system in place. Once you ditch the old cotton bibs youll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I used to hunt in carhart pants as well. That has been the best upgrade in my opinion. Get a pant with 4 way stretch or at least 2 way. The $150 for a pair of pants doesn't sting as bad once you do a hike in them. Completely worth the money!

Sell your truck and get a second mortgage. Then buy the Sitka gear! It'll make you a better hunter and you'll automatically kill bigger game.

I have Sitka Core 4 KUIU SKRE & First Lite also some Russell & Browning misc .Was a big Sitka fan { Way over priced } then found KUIU awesome gear {Crap for having stuff in Stock } found SKRE last year Awesome service Awesome gear everything I ordered was in stock & shipped same day or next day !! This gear in my opinion is Better by far both material & cost wise than either Sitka or KUIU . But I have been buying First Lite & I am sold their base layer wool gear is Hands down a HUGE step above Sitka or KUIU. Buy what you want like or can afford But if your wanting GOOD gear at a GOOD price stuff that will last & Work I would check out First Lite & SKRE

Kings Camo gear is pretty decent and very budget friendly . KUIU is my favorite if you can afford it.

Don't be afraid to buy used gear off the forums , I have a bunch of old Sitka gear I bought from a MM member, works great and was priced about 30% of what you'd pay for new stuff.

I've tried several brands of high-tech hunting camo clothing... two years ago I bought some of the Killik Gear from Sportsman WH... its the best I've tried. I have one set in the Highlander and one set in the K1 pattern with (jacket, hoodie, long sleeve shirt and pants)in each.

The fit is perfect for me and very comfortable and from my use, well made. I wear them elk hunting which gives them a good workout, warm/cold/wet/dry... kneeling/belly crawling/ and causal walking with no issues, they hold up to snagging tree branches as well as abrasion crawling/laying on course rocks glassing into canyons. No tears or fraying, no loose threads broken zippers or seams coming undone...

I also have a full set of Cabelas Microtex in the Western pattern and they've fit and perform just as well.

They are not cheap but you don't have to sell a kidney to afford them either.

2f350s: Hunt hard, hunt ethically.

Im a huge fan of the first lite as well. I currently have a full set of the kryptek Highlander and prolly wont buy anything else from them since they want Sitka prices for there new lineup. +1 on the KUIU clothes as well. Browning hellfire lineup is equally awesome and if you get up to the browning store in morgan,ut you can get close to 60% off.

I have a wide variety of camo/clothing as well like some others have mentioned. My kuiu gear is hands down the best that I own as far as comfort and weight. I also have plenty of kings camo. For the price, Kings makes some really great items and to get closer to the kuiu/Sitka clothing systems, the xkg series is really a great system, but more expensive as well. The Kings patterns are very versatile as well.

Some good recommendations above, BUT camo is for hunters.

Sure I own some, but Camo is for hunters in the vast majority of field scenarios. Technical mountain-hunting upper-end hunting apparel and gear companies have been making gear for 5-10 years, and some do a fine job of producing some genuinely quality pieces of equipment. But for my money (and often for much less of it!), I go with companies that have been making technical mountain-hunting upper-end backpacking apparel and gear companies for 10-50 years. Many of these companies have been refining their gear for decades, under pressure from gram-counters to improve their weight and other critical specs. Solid colors, sure there might be some neon ones to pick through, but frankly - even some of those work well in the field. Packs are the one item that I still have more faith in a company like Stone Glacier or Kifaru, most backpacking applications aren't designed to carry heavy heavy loads.

Some companies to check out are Stoic (their merino gear is quality and cheap and from 50-70% cheaper than companies like First Lite; their Hadron puffy is freaking awesome as well), Marmot (their PreCip gear is an excellent fly-weight option that is a FRACTION of the high dollar camo options), Helly Hansen gear can NOT be topped for more dreadful wet weather conditions, Target carries Champion C9 Golf pants (less than $30, indestructible poly/nylon mixture, less than 10 ounces for my M size, and available in flat colors like khaki and slate), I could list many more.

Good places to look...The Clymb, Steep and Cheap, Backcountry.com, frequently check the Deals thread on BackpackingLight.com, Sierra Trading Post can still cough up a good deal every now and then on base layers and wool blend socks (not as good as it used to be though).

1645dscn9537.jpg

Another couple items I've had zero issues with and sing the highest praise for...Salomon 4D II GTX boots and MEC's quilted hoodie.

Game Gear. High quality, reasonably priced, all American made, super customer service. They are now the #1 American made gear for a reason.

>Some good recommendations above, BUT camo
>is for hunters.
>
>Sure I own some, but Camo
>is for hunters in the
>vast majority of field scenarios.
> Technical mountain-hunting upper-end hunting
>apparel and gear companies have
>been making gear for 5-10
>years, and some do a
>fine job of producing some
>genuinely quality pieces of equipment.
> But for my money
>(and often for much less
>of it!), I go with
>companies that have been making
>technical mountain-hunting upper-end backpacking apparel
>and gear companies for 10-50
>years. Many of these
>companies have been refining their
>gear for decades, under pressure
>from gram-counters to improve their
>weight and other critical specs.
> Solid colors, sure there
>might be some neon ones
>to pick through, but frankly
>- even some of those
>work well in the field.
> Packs are the one
>item that I still have
>more faith in a company
>like Stone Glacier or Kifaru,
>most backpacking applications aren't designed
>to carry heavy heavy loads.
>
>
>Some companies to check out are
>Stoic (their merino gear is
>quality and cheap and from
>50-70% cheaper than companies like
>First Lite; their Hadron puffy
>is freaking awesome as well),
>Marmot (their PreCip gear is
>an excellent fly-weight option that
>is a FRACTION of the
>high dollar camo options), Helly
>Hansen gear can NOT be
>topped for more dreadful wet
>weather conditions, Target carries Champion
>C9 Golf pants (less than
>$30, indestructible poly/nylon mixture, less
>than 10 ounces for my
>M size, and available in
>flat colors like khaki and
>slate), I could list many
>more.
>
>Good places to look...The Clymb, Steep
>and Cheap, Backcountry.com, frequently check
>the Deals thread on BackpackingLight.com,
>Sierra Trading Post can still
>cough up a good deal
>every now and then on
>base layers and wool blend
>socks (not as good as
>it used to be though).
>

Stoic hasn't been made since 2012-13.

Still lots of Stoic gear out there to buy though, check out SteepAndCheap. I think they have re-branded some of their gear with a Basin Range label.

Another place to look is mytrailco.com - the former owner of GoLite started this up a few years ago, and his prices are right. For those who have had GoLite stuff in the past, the quality speaks for itself.

Lots of good cloths out there. I recently got a pair of Pirana Bion pants and they are great. Very similar to camo ones I have from Sitka and Kuiu.

Been wearing cabelas instinct and killick from sportsman warehouse and love both brands. Very very comfortable especially when hiking, the 4 way stretch is incredible, highly recommended.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom