Another caliber

yoteduster

Very Active Member
Has anybody had a chance to handle and or shoot the new Browning x bolt 6.8 western just curious if it's going to be a good one or do we even need another new caliber to even further confuse us old guys..

Depends (sorry, no reference to "added clothing" for old guys intended).

The 6.8 western will give you the performance in between the .270 Win and 7mm Rem Mag with a shorter bolt throw.

You could get pretty close to the same performance loading a .270 WSM hot, or even re-barreling to accommodate the 160 and 170 gr bullet offerings.

From a standpoint of practicality, no, we don't need another cartridge. However, the shooting world has gone far beyond practicality and I believe this cartridge will retire the 6.5 CM as a long distance competition round. At any rate, we can talk about a real man's rifle instead of the "Man Bun Gun" :cool:.

That makes sense roadrunner heck I'm just getting some decent hunting loads figured out for the 28 nosler and they keep coming out with something new lol

Looks like an interesting caliber

The 6.8 western will give you the performance in between the .270 Win and 7mm Rem Mag with a shorter bolt throw.

You could get pretty close to the same performance loading a .270 WSM hot, or even re-barreling to accommodate the 160 and 170 gr bullet offerings.

From a standpoint of practicality, no, we don't need another cartridge. However, the shooting world has gone far beyond practicality and I believe this cartridge will retire the 6.5 CM as a long distance competition round. At any rate, we can talk about a real man's rifle instead of the "Man Bun Gun" :cool:.
So basically a 280 Remington or Ackley but with shorter bolt throw.

From a standpoint of practicality, no, we don't need another cartridge. However, the shooting world has gone far beyond practicality and I believe this cartridge will retire the 6.5 CM as a long distance competition round. At any rate, we can talk about a real man's rifle instead of the "Man Bun Gun" :cool:

“Retire the 6.5 CM” ???????????

That makes sense roadrunner heck I'm just getting some decent hunting loads figured out for the 28 nosler and they keep coming out with something new lol
The metric designation is a marketing gimmick and the in thing with the new crowd. Wonder how popular Jack's favorite cartridge would have suddenly become if it were branded the 6.8mm-06?

Looks like an interesting caliber

.277 is an interesting caliber??

I should have said interesting for those sporting man buns ? I’m keeping my .270 & 300 WM
The 6.8 is actually bigger and more efficient than a 270. It's a 270wsm that can handle 160 to 178 grain bullets. From what I hear it's a better long range 7mm mag basically.

I should have said interesting for those sporting man buns ? I’m keeping my .270 & 300 WM
I do shoot the very same calibers as you. I love my 270 and 300 win. I do agree probably no reason for anything else. But if I wanted to build or buy a light weight gun the two calibers I would look at are the 6.8 or 280 ai.

This caliber was an answer to a problem nobody had. It's performance is good but not that good.

There are very few new chamberings that will fill a legitimate need.

Anything created now is just a new way of inventing another wheel. The only hope that anything new has is an incredible marketing push, because there are no practical gains to be made.

From the reviews that i've seen, the 6.8 western is dang near the same as all the other calibers and slightly pulls away between 600 and 1k yards. Spomer did a really good review.

In my opinion, the recoil of the 6.8 (same as a 7mm) is not worth it. and I dont plan on shooting 1k yards at an animal. For my effective range, 280AI all day long.

I really wish we would get a new member join & create the handle “Man Bun” ??? I can only imagine the grief that poor bastard would get on his posts!!! ?

You Guys Forgot about the 50 JFP I Came up with!

50 BMG Necked down to .17!

8680 fps!

50 JFP.jpg

.... has been nothing but an excercise in marketing .

If you build it they will buy it.

For a while anyway.

Lots of dead and dying cartridges that were pushed as the next latest and greatest, had a flash of life, then died out or are on life support.

Proving once again that's it's hard to truly improve upon what we've had for decades. The market is, and has been, saturated for a long time. There's very little need or room for anything new. The classics are classics for a reason.

Hell with all the different calibers out there it is said more deer are taken with a .22 and spotlight.

Wondering what a 1:7.5 twist barrel on a .270 Winchester with a 170 gr Sierra Tipped Game King could muster up? 2700 FPS or so?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom