Another death!!

We have lots of the African 'killer' bees now roaming the state. I have no idea what kind they were, but I've had four incidents where I had to get rid of huge swarms at my place.

When the first one occurred, we were out on the patio when the swarm flew onto a branch in a tree about 20 feet away. They kept building on until the size was about twice that of a football. Thinking they might leave on their own, we left them overnight, but they were still there the next morning.

I called a pro, who charged me $100 to don a head net & gloves to use a can of hornet spray, which is available at Home Depot. It will spray more than 20 feet & kills almost instantly. I already owned a hat with a net, so on the next three occasions, I simply bought the spray & did the evictions on my own. I have a can sitting in reserve for a 'just in case.'

Any suggestions in how to put fear into spiders? I hate them things... someday spiders will grow wings and just randomly land on you. I cant handle that kind of pressure

Last edited:
A friend told me a story of golfing at Quintero near lake pleasant AZ. They heard the swarm coming, there were thousands of bees. They all hit the ground and it took a minute for all of the bees to pass

I believe a hive and a swarm are 2 separate things. The swarm usually has something to do with a displaced queen and the rest of the bees follow here (like the patio branch above). And the hive is,,well,, a hive. Man that's a tough way to go though.. scary.

I believe a hive and a swarm are 2 separate things. The swarm usually has something to do with a displaced queen and the rest of the bees follow here (like the patio branch above). And the hive is,,well,, a hive. Man that's a tough way to go though.. scary.
Yup, true that. That's why I left the one overnight. BUT...a swarm sometimes turns into a hive because they have to settle somewhere for good.

Two I had to rid had become such - one was starting a hive thru a small hole into my attic. My neighbor knocked on my door to tell me he had watched them coming & going. A few months later, another bunch was doing the same thru the foundation & under the floor of a utility room I had added on to the back of my shop. In both instances I shot the spray directly into the holes, and they came streaming out by the hundreds. Finally quit after a 1/2 hr. or so, but I still kept watch for a couple days. I have no idea how many died on the inside, though.

My daughter had a swarm build a hive that went floor to ceiling in a wall between studs in her garage wall. She saw them flying in & out of a small crack next an outside light wall fixture. After they got rid of the bees, it started stinking. So they broke through the sheetrock on the inside & scrapped out all of the hive.

In another incident, my electric company came to see if the wooden pole in my backyard needed to be replaced. To do so, the guy dug down along side it to see if the part below ground was rotten. When he got about a foot down, bees started coming out of the ground by the dozens. He got stung twice.

The pole sat right next to a block wall between my yard & my neighbor's. So the guy from the power co. went over there & found the bees had a huge hive behind some old tires & evidently had somehow tunneled into the ground & under the wall foundation. He left it alone & sent out a bee exterminator the next day. He was there over two hours. First he tried to smoking them out. Then he finally used the death spray.

I had to collect a swarm once at a maritime port.
Took a pump sprayer and some Dawn dish liquid.
Knocked em right down.
They were not Africanized bees, but came off a ship from
Brazil.

In the fall at my place there are a few days when the sky is filled with spider webs. When the sun’s just right you can see them swirling as high in the sky as you can see.

It’s a shame that people indiscriminately kill insects with poison. It has knocked over an ecological domino.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom