Another Drawing Question???

slcmuley

If you apply as a group does it increase the number of chances going into the draw?
My toughts were 5 people in a group- 5 chances- if 1 person draws all 5 are awarded the permit.
IS THIS HOW IT WORKS ???

This is how group apps work,,,,

Applying as a group
When two or more hunters apply as a
group, their bonus points are averaged and rounded down.
For example, if hunter A has seven bonus points, and hunter B has zero bonus points?and they apply together as a group?their bonus points are averaged (3.5) and rounded down to three. The computer then assigns the group three random drawing numbers for their three bonus points, plus one random drawing number (instead of two drawing numbers) because the two hunters are applying together as a group. That leaves the group of two hunters with a total of four drawing numbers. The computer then takes the lowest number the group received, and that's the number the group will use in the drawing.
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I don't think so, I think you actually only get one chance to draw (as a group). So that would lower the odds from 5 chances to one. AND, there has to be enough tags left to accommodate your whole group, you don't draw. In other words, if there are 3 in your group and only two tags left, none of you draw.

And of course, if there is a nonresident in your group, and the nonresident cap has been filled, you don't draw even if there are residents in the group. And also, the whole group goes in as the lowest number of pref points. So if someone in your group has 0 points, the whole group goes in as 0 preference points.

Here is the actual wording:

GROUP APPLICATIONS
1. Any number of people can apply as a group for deer, elk, bear and pronghorn.
Group applications are not allowed for moose. Members must
apply for the same species, hunt code unit, season and method of take for
each choice. If there are discrepancies, the leader?s hunt code is used.
Groups are assigned a number, and if their number is selected in the
drawing, everyone in the group gets a license. However, if the group is seleted
and there aren't enough licenses for everyone in the group, the group
will not draw; OR if the group has resident and nonresident applicants
and the nonresident cap has been met, the group will not draw.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

One of us is wrong goofy. I think he is talking about Colorado, and in Colorado, they don't average points, you go in as the person who has the lowest. Here is the part that says that in the brochure:

Group applications enter the draw receiving priority according to the
member with the fewest points. When there are not enough licenses for
everyone in the group, the group will not draw.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Most states are different. So knowing the state is a must. Its a good question to ask. No need in waisting a choice on a hunt that you cant draw for because the total tags for your pool is less than the members in your party.

I was asking about Utah. In 2005 I had a bioligist tell me that a group increased odds in Wyoming. Meaning our group of 5 with no points would get 5 chances. But again I was asking about Utah. 3 people with 0 points.

I'm starting to think I should have never put a 2nd choice on my Utah general deer. I really feel that I should get a Pref. Point for not drawing my first choice :-(

>I'm starting to think I should
>have never put a 2nd
>choice on my Utah general
>deer. I really feel that
>I should get a
>
>Pref. Point for not drawing
>my first choice :-(

we used to do that....but these days I would worry about not getting a tag at all if you skip on 2nd choice (northern)

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I think you would get three chances at drawing a lower number but only one number is used in the actual drawing process.

Three people with 0 point going into the drawing in utah will get one shot at a low number for the drawing. Also if you put a second choice and draw it then you will get a preference point. Utah has changed its rules on that. Anyway good luck this year.

Where did you find the info for getting a point if you don't draw your first choice? I would like to read up on this. Is it in the guidebook?
I guess if all else fails I can check my point status online in a few weeks.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-10 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]It's in the regs. Certain criteria need to be met.

Also, the WY bio was blowing smoke. Party apps in WY are treated as one app. Points are NOT averaged either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom