Another High Country Nevada Buck!

B

bootsie13

After a four hour stalk and some rock climbing (literally, had to wedge my bow between rocks and climb up then do it over again) I was able to take this fantastic buck at 42 yards. I could not get the timer to work on my camera so it's just the buck. I was thrilled to have my Dad there with me as he is still my best hunting buddy. He carried the head out for me, Thanks Dad! If you guys would like more details on the hunt including my 20 miler on the opener let me know!

I love these mountains - those on the Nevada forumns know which ones I am talking about. There's not a canyon in them I have not spent a few days in scouting or hunting. I do get around! Enjoy!

The first set of pictures are of the buck where I finished him off and the scenery from there. Beatiful.

7401036.jpg

3311042.jpg

7376038.jpg

4280039.jpg

2640040.jpg

The second set are down the trail aways - we decided to break in the shade.

352058.jpg

3260060.jpg

206052.jpg

Sweet buck man!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Dang I wish Id been drawn this year! That is so cool. Great accomplishment! Nothin tougher than a high country mulie, other than sheep. Pat your self on the back! Tony

Great job! Awesome buck! Even better when your dad is with you! What's the patch kit on the inline point? Send the details, anyone who can do 20 miles in these mountains is an animal!

Thanks for all the nice compliments. Hunting in my opinion wouldn't be nearly as fun if we didn't get to share it with others!

flyingspearnv - First, congrats to you as well that's a heck of a first archery buck! I love the Ruby Mountains and any time I see another hunter willing to get up high my hats off to him so job well done.

Here's the details on my 2010 hunt. I had committed to the Boyscout group I work with to do the Ruby Crest Trail with them Wed to Sat prior to the opener on Sunday. I couldn't let them down so I packed for seven days. Four with the boyscouts and three hunting after finishing the hike with the scouts. I met two friends of mine up on the mountain after the scouts headed down to the trail head. We hunted for the next three days and saw over 80 bucks 10 worth shooting. My friends were not able to connect (I will tease them for years to come) but are coming back in two weeks. I decided to just help them out as I had more time to hunt. All in all I did somewhere around 42 miles. I really pride myself and like the challenge of putting everything on my back. The last two years my pack weighed 108 and 110 lbs. on the way out. I am sure there will be some naysayers but to them I say "meet me at the trailhead" :)

Two weeks after the opener my Dad was able to come with me so I choose a location that was more do-able he is still a hiking monster but is getting along in age and I wanted him there with me. We packed in about 4 miles and set up a basecamp hunting anywhere from 2-4 miles from camp. I spotted the buck I killed way up on the top of the canyon wall beneath some cliffs. I decided the only way to get to him was to climb some cliffs and get around behind where he couldn't see me coming. I did just that and rock climbed - it was scary. I am an avid climber but not being roped in with big bulky boots on was tough, I almost turned back thinking I couldn't make it. Luckily I found a few hand holds and was able to make the climb. I peeked over at 42 yards and sunk a near perfect shot. It was wicked steep where he was so when he went down he tumbled and broke the fifth point. That is the splint you see. Luckily the velvet prevented it from flying off somewhere!

Long winded I know but that's the hunt in a nutshell - thanks for asking!

Ryan

Awesome freaky deer Ryan, Congratulations!! I'm not sure we can count the length on the odd fork if you take the splint off and it falls to the ground when we have our final score measuring party for all the marbles, I'll look into the P&Y rules on that one, HeHe.

That is a real nice deer Ryan. I have seen a few like that in the mountains. I have never bow hunted for them. Some day soon I hope to get back to SC to do some archery hunting. I believe you about your pack too. I remember the athlete you were in high school and have no doubts that you packed that out. I packed in a couple years ago for a rifle hunt and got a decent 4 point. Real heavy but nothing like the one you got. Awesome buck.

Marshall

I've been in love since my very first buck at 13 years old in the Rubys, I just don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold up my end of the romance, it sucks getting old, got the knowledge just running out of go juice!

I know it’s a dated post But what a Beautiful buck, great job. I love hunting and hiking the Rubies and Jarbidge backcountry, two of the most beautiful places on earth.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom