Another Pack Question

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
OK, so first of all sorry to ask another pack question - I did go back through all the old threads relating to backpacks but I still have a question for you - specifically to those that do DIY backpack hunts into a wilderness without any packers/horses.

I did my first wilderness pack in rifle hunt this year into the Eagle Cap wilderness in NE Oregon - pretty big country and about as rough as any I suppose. It didn't turn out very well, in fact it was kinda a disaster so I want to do it again next year only have a better trip.

The thing I am trying to figure out is how do you get all your stuff + hopefully a buck packed back out? Just with my tent, sleeping bag, food, clothes and all the other stuff you need my back was pretty full and not very comfortable - I have a external frame Cabelas pack that just didn't cut it.

So I'm thinking I need to get a real pack and the 2 I'm looking at are the Eberlestock Just One J104 - which I have tried on and it fits pretty good but not sure about how it feels when fully loaded, the other one that doesn't get mentioned as much is the Kifaru Longhunter which is kinda spendy but seems to be a really functional pack.

So, my question is for those that have used one of these and packed in and out on your own with a buck loaded up also.

How do you get all the stuff packed in? My current pack is 4700ci and I just can't figure out where to put a deer. The just One with the added Spike Duffel gets you to 7900ci which should be enough. The Kifaru is 5200ci and you can buy some side pockets that give you another 900ci so also pretty good. But this pack is $473 to start so thats a lot of money - I don't want to make another mistake.

Anybody that has used one of these - please tell me any pro/con you experienced with them. I'd sure appreciate it - its not good to realize your pack sucks when you are 9 miles + back in.

Also, I really like the Badlands 4500 - really fits me but I just can't figure out how to pack everything in that thing.

Thanks again - and sorry to go over the whole "whats the best pack" question again.

I just want you to know up front that I have never done a backcountry hunt. I have been on several 5 day 4 night backpacking trips where we went back in 10-15 miles. So take what I have to say with a grain of salt, the rest can probably be tost out the window.

If I ever do a backcountry hunt and I have thought about it, I just have not done it yet. I would plan on at least two trips in and two trips out. One trip would be to pack in and out all my gear the second trip would be to recover my animal. I think that you're asking way to much to be able to bring out your gear and animal at the same time.

The size of pack you get will be greatly be determined by the amount of gear you cary and how long you plan on staying. A 4800-5400 cubic inch bag should be good for at least a 6 day 5 night stay. If you plan on staying much longer then that I would be looking at something in the 6400 cubic inch area.

As for the backpacks meantioned I can not give you alot of advive. I have a Badlands Supperday pack that I love. I can pack everything that I need in it for my day hiks without any problem. At the end of the day my back or shoulders are not sore. I would only assume that there backpacks would be equlay good.

I hope this helps some.

Good Luck

400bull

try the new eberlestock j107 dragonfly, it's leaps above the older j104!

I've seen the Mystery ranch pack, it's nice but very very $$$$$.

400bull Tfinalshot,
Thanks for your info - I think one of my problems is that I read too many magazines. You always read about these guys that say they do backpack hunts all on there own and pack out deer or elk and there stuff. So I just started wondering what the heck am I doing wrong because I just can't figure out how to do it. I've already invested in some pretty high quality stuff in the way of tents/sleeping bags so I know I'm close but still the volume of stuff just doesn't seem to figure. Anyway, thanks again - hope someone else has some advice also.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-07 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]I start out with a light internal frame pack, mine happens to be a Kelty 3300 (3 lbs), I prefer a pack on the small side for hunts up to 5 days. I use a tarp shelter than is 1 lb, which in my opinion is better than a backpacking tent in every way under early season hunting conditions....I'm sure since you have done this type of hunt that you have a list of your gear. Go through the list and omit everything that you didn't use and that won't potentially serve you in an important way in the future. You have to think "light" with every single thing you pack. Trim your maps, your straps, unused pockets, tags, and anything else that won't serve you on the hunt, even the most seemingly weightless things like stickers on bottles and such(I'm serious). It all adds up...... To pack a deer out in one trip, asumming you've boned him out, you need to be prepared to carry up to about 75 lbs. of meat, but that is a big deer. Add to this the weight of your pack before you added the deer meat. So, we're talking 100 lbs+/-....Generally, I have found no instance were packing an animal out in one trip was absolutely imperative if you plan properly. Take out your camp and a little meat on the first trip and the rest with the second. Ideally, you'll be not more than 3-4 miles from the road....Physical conditioning is a necessity. Backpack hunting is fun, but most everyone I have been on(even very successful ones) were absolutely not fun at some point. Be prepared to endure these times......Part of toughing it out is having a healthy supply of very nutritious food. Eat it constantly or your body will not last....Packing a deer out in one trip with your camp, if that is what your are after, is going to take a good sized pack with a lot of support, rated to carry about a 100 lbs. I can tell you from experience that this is a very heavy load. Guys that do this have their "ducks in a row" and they are very tough and very crazy. It's much more comfortable and enjoyable to plan ahead, kill a buck and take your time getting him out. Unless you are dealing with extreme heat, hang the meat in the shade and it'll be fine for a day while you pack.

Hi oregonmulley,

The thought of packing into mountainous country and being able to pack out with a buck (even all boned out) all in one trip by yourself is a very tall order for most people. I am sure there are people that can, but they are more mule-of-a-man than I will ever be. Two people yes, otherwise a second trip is more realistic for most. And as HiMtnHntr says....go light!

You mention that your current pack is 4700ci, I believe that a person can pack in with 2800-3000ci capacity, with the right pack, for up to aprox 5 days, especially with two people. You have to reduce not only weight, but bulk/size. I personally try to reduce size as much or more than weight and find that less weight usually is the result. Get rid of what you truly do not need, this makes it not only a physical challenge but a mental challenge. Do without, I find it makes things simpler so I can concentrate on the task at hand. It almost comes down to bringing what you need to survive; water, purification or filtration, food (freeze dried, MREs, etc.), clothing, sleeping bag/pad and shelter plus the few emergency essentials. Bring very few clothes but bring the correct ones. In warmer weather I wear uninsulated, lighter weight, good quality, gore-tex hiking boots with Super-Feet insoles vs hunting boots that usually weigh up to a pound more plus per boot. Use the lightest, least bulk sleeping bag and pad you can somewhat comfortly get by with for the temperatures you think you will face and that you can afford. As far as bulk, if I absolutely need to make room I use a couple of Granite Gear air compression sacks, size small works for my sleeping bag and tent if I bring it. They are light weight siconized ripstop nylon. Ect...........

You mentioned the Eberlestock Just One, this pack should work just fine. I am thinking of upgrading to a hybrid hunting pack and the J104 is a contender. I envision using the fly-out side pockets and top for my strategically chosen hunting gear and can not imagine I need this much room. I would then put my camp and clothes in the spike duffel you can buy for it and put this in the center mesh area. The side pockets and shelf can then be buckled-up and compressed with the straps. This way my camp can be removed without touching my hunting gear/day pack.
If and when a person has game to pack out....you remove the spike camp and it zips to the fly-out pockets on the outside of the meshed center allowing you to put meat in the center and snug it all up.

I've been doing just that type of hunting in a couple of washingtons wilderness areas. I use the J104 and couldn't be happier. It handles a load great, I've packed a couple elk and 3 deer in the 3 years I've owned it and it performed outstanding. Look at the zip on duffle, it gives you all the space you will ever need.

Coon

Oregonmuley,

#1. There is nothing wrong with your current pack except for it might be a little heavy and not as comfy as some of the other packs that are available. My partner uses a Cabelas external frame pack and he does fine.

#2. Trying to pack out a deer and your camp at the same time is not feasible. Packing out a full boned out deer is not feasible but can be done. I've done it myself but recommend what was stated above and that is making several trips to get everything out. I personally WILL NOT ever pack out a full deer again. It is just stupidity. Your looking at exhausting yourself and I can tell you from experience that it is much more enjoyable and smarter to make more trips with less weight.

#3. If you are set on buying one of the packs that you mentioned then I can comment on them. I've owned the Eberlestock J-104 and currently use the J-105. Very comfy packs and use practical usage pockets and storage. I use the rifle scabbard to pack my tripod with my spotting scope attached which makes it easy to get my spotting setup out in a hurry. The spike duffel is a cool add on but puts more weight out off of your back making you stoop to keep your balance and this is very bad posture with heavy loads hiking on miles on end. I know because this is what I am currently doing. This is a tough pack and you can add endless weight but you cannot carry it if it is out of balance for extended periods of time. I also owne a Badlands 2800 and it is very tough and the warranty can't be beat. I've looked at the 4500 and hunted with someone in 2007 who uses one of these packs and I feel that it is a great choice. This pack distributes the weight in an up and down fashion which is better for balance and is much better for long hauls. I have two friends that owne the Kifaru and they also distribute the weight in a thinner vessel straight up and down. Balance is a great big factor when it comes to back packs and hiking long miles.

To sum it all up if I were to buy a pack today I would get the Badlands 4500 or the Kifaru or one of the many other packs that are out there now a days. Lokk for a pack that adds weight parallel with your back instead of packing the weight horizontally out away from you. The other thing is, don't try to carry too much. Make several trips. Hope this helps. fatrooster.

I forgot to mention, that Eagle Cap Wilderness is a beautiful place. You are truley blessed to be able to hunt the Eagle Cap. fatrooster.

Fatrooster,
Thanks - your info is always appreciated. You recommeded some binocs last time I posted and that turned out good. I've been hearing this more and more as far as carrying everything out in one trip. I guess I got wrapped up reading magazines - seems all the guys in the magazines do it so I figured I should be able to do it. But after talking to a couple of DIY back country hunters, come to find out they do multiply loads and carry it part way, maybe do a couple miles and go back and get the rest. Maybe more miles overall, but carrying smaller loads at a time. I've actually decided to go a different route, it seems that in the hunting packs, they are all probably OK, but I've talked to some guys that hunt Alaska sheep quite a bit - they all go with good quality hiking backpacks that also work great as hunting packs. No they are not camo but real load haulers, I just ordered the new Osprey Argon 110 that will not only work great as a hunting pack, but also work for summer scouting trips.
Yes, I am lucky, the Eagle Caps are something to see, maybe not the greatest hunting there is, but sure was a fun place, I plann on trying it again this year with hopefully better results.
Thanks

Oregonmuley, I too have looked at some hiking back packs and they look very strong and lightweight. Be careful with some namebrands because not all of them support hunting. I decided to stick with the hunting packs for this very reason. Goodluck with your pack and let us know how you like it. fatrooster.

Just to reemphasize: The magazines rarely tell the tale of how you have to make 2 extra trips after you get a nice buck. The reality is that you almost always will have to! I shot a smaller fork one year about 8 miles in. I boned in out and made it in one trip... it was hell. Another year I got a nice buck that I caped and saved for a mount. It took two fully-loaded trips. I would not cross any man that could pack all that out plus his huntin gear in one trip.

If you pack right and light it can be done, my last 2 deer were packed out on my back over 10 miles from the road, YUP IT WAS HELL!!!! but very rewarding. But I will warn you, if you are new to packing in and kill a deer up in no mans land save yourself the pain and take acouple trips. Especially if you have been in the backcounty 5 days plus!!! You will find when you get home your wife will be wanting to know how you lost 15-20 pounds in a week. Don underestimate how fatigued you can let your body get when you have antlers on your brain!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom