Another Wasatch Moose Tag

C

c5mrr270

I lucked out this year and drew a Wasatch moose tag! After finding out I drew a tag and coming back to earth, I told myself I was going to do everything I could to capitalize on this once in a lifetime tag. While I may be new to monster muleys I am definitely not new to hunting. I spend many days a year archery hunting in the Wasatch so I have some ideas as to where to look but I would like to make sure I have all my bases covered. I am no stranger to hard hikes and rugged country and would like to get away from as much competition as possible because my goal is to take a bull with my bow. Any suggestions on places to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

C5

How many points did you have ? I can keep my eyes open for ya since I spend more than my fair share of time in the canyons next to Salt Lake .

I only had 4 points if you can believe that but I'm not complaining. Thanks in advance for the help.

C5

LOL , dang you lucky dawg . I'm up to 12 points , and have put in every year for wasatch moose .

8 -10 years ago I used to watch some real monsters , but it seems like the last 5 years quality has really slipped . As you know there is still some good bulls tucked away in some of those out of the way places .

Yeah, definitely. That's what I'm hoping to find is a good bull in an out of the way place, preferably somewhere that can't be seen from a road or atv trail.

I saw some good bull last Oct on the Extended hunt. I have one place that always seems to hold decent bulls. Shoot me a pm if you'd like!

Athens Archery Field Staff
SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

I can vouch for Cr5mmr270, he happens to be my little brother. I used to drag him around the forest when he was just old enough to walk and even used to drag him up into my treestand. We're 17 years apart but have always been the best of friends and one of the best and unselfish hunters I have known. We've spent plenty of time together in the woods chasing animals and I can personally vouch for his ability and dedication to hunting. Any of you that chase bucks in the wasatch should get ahold of him because he could use some good hunting partners. He is definately someone you could depend on. Any help locating a big bull would be a great help and I know he would be willing to help anyone of you if you need it.
Thanks, Todd

Anybody else? I spend a lot of time hunting the extended archery area so I have some good ideas there but I want to make sure I have all my bases covered so any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

C5

mill hollow or current creek areas hold alot of big bulls. problem is that there is usually alot of people but you can get way back in there

c5,
I took a good bull on the Wasatch last year with my bow . It was quite possibly the funnest hunt I have ever had. I would love to talk to you about a few good bulls I left behind. I will send a pm.

Mikey, Can't wait to load up some gear and head your way to chase a big bull moose around the forest.I'm totally pumped up....haven't been on a moose hunt since high school in 1985. Hope to chase some big ones...congrats again on the tag!! Hopefully I can make some of the scouting trips...I just don't want to wake up on the mountain in a wet sleeping bag.

No problems there...my backpacking tent does a little better than a black garbage sack. Haha. That would be sweet of you could make it out, I'm getting a lot of good tips and have a ton of ground to cover.

Well I'm out in California getting married so I haven't been able to scout for the past couple of days. I can't wait to get back at it and I just wanted to say thanks again for all the good information you guys have given me. Rumor is mossback is watching a bull in the unit. Hope I can get to it first. Haha. Thanks again.

C5

I knew two people who drew out last year and we looked every where. Best places we found was the west fork pipe line which was already mentioned and another place we seen a bunch was up wild cat. Get back to me if you want to know more.

If I were you I would have waited to get married until after the hunt! Now your scouting time has been cut in half. ha ha J/K, It's good to see you have your priorities straight.
I spend a lot of time on the Wasatch, if I see something I will shoot you a pm. Last year their was a toad on Timp, up the AF canyon side. He was a about 5 miles up the Timpanoeke trail with his buddy, who wasn't a bad bull either, just not as wide.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Haha. Actually when we found out I drew she said it was okay to postpone the honeymoon until next year. I didn't even have to ask! Thanks again for the replies guys.

C5

So I have been out scouting about five time now and have yet to see a bull. I thought this was going to be easy. I figured the hardest part was gonna be picking which bull to shoot! Haha. Guess thats what I get. Oh well heading back out this evening, maybe my luck will change.

Got a trail cam up this week, I'll also be scouting the WF every weekend from here on out. I'll keep in touch man!

SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

Here is one moose I got on cam. Honestly though I dont know much about them, and dont know how big a big one would be right now. This one looks wide, but still needs a few years???

9300009.jpg

186010.jpg

Nice pics. I will probably go out scouting this evening, I hope to have this much luck. Thanks again for the help.

C5

Does this bull do anything for ya? I had him at 75yds last night.
8643100.jpg

9805055.jpg

Definitely getting better. I wish he had split brow tines on both sides. Nice pics once again though.

I'll be up there with you. We have only found one so far that I'm very interested in and not many bulls to speak of. I have recieved some great tips from people on this site. It looks like I may have to miss the opening weekend because of business but the rest of the time will be mine. Good luck and see you on the mountain.
By the way, it took me 17 points!

Thanks fishnut! Good luck to you to. Fortunately I'll be able to take the whole first week off and my brother and his wife will be coming out to help me. It should be awesome. I'm gonna try with a bow. What about you? Once again good luck.

C5

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom