Another "what should I get" thread

dgwoody

I'm looking to pick up a rifle for mostly deer and elk. I've pretty much narrowed my caliber options down to 7mm and .300 win mag. I'd also like to mess around with punching holes in paper out past 400. I'm mostly a bow hunter, so this will pretty much be my all around rifle for a few years until the kids get older and i can dedicate a little more time to hunting.

So, with a cash cap of $800 for the rifle, what should I get. I've been thinking a lot about a Remington 700 sps, but am open to others. So, let the games begin, what gun, what caliber?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-13 AT 00:40AM (MST)[p]Nothing wrong with a 700 in 7mm or 300win. Even a 30-06 would work. Id go to your local store and handle a few rifles. See what fits you and what you like. Id even look at the weatherby vanguard or tikka.

+1 to the Tikka and Vanguard...

My Tikka is one of my favorite rifles I own. The new Vanguards are pretty awesome as well.

I'd go around a few gun shops around town and see what rifle you end up liking. Either caliber you've selected would do the job well.

+2 on the Tikka T3... Mine is also one of my fav's...No matter what I feed it it shoots sub MOA...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I hear people bring up the tikka, but I don't know of anyone who has one I can shoot. The feel of the gun in the store is only part of it for me. I've owned Remington's and liked them which is why I steer back to them naturally. I was leaning towards the Sps long range, but held a similar rem. varmint rifle last night and now I'm not so sure. Pretty front heavy in my hands. Still don't know what it would feel like with a scope though. Keep the feedback coming.

I'd personally go with a Remington 700 before a Plastikka. Had a BB gun when I was a kid that was better built. Besides the cheap feel, I hate the closed ejection port style of them. Not saying they don't shoot, but so do dozens of other rifles. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-13 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]I think an SPS would do the trick just fine. I'm a big fan of the 7mm Rem Mag. A fair amount less recoil than the 300 WM and has a very flat trajectory. You can shoot 140 gr bullets at 3250 fps for deer and antelope and you can switch to a 160 or 175 gr Partition for elk and such, all without kicking you out from under your hat.

You can probably find an SPS on sale for under $400 which leaves you another $400 for a good quality set of scope mounts/rings and a good scope. Those are more important to me than the brand of rifle.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

The next question would be, is it worth getting the heavier barreled rifle or should i go with a stainless? The SPS Long range has the heavier barrel, but I'm not sure i want to pack that thing around the mountain. Anyone hunt with the heavier rifles?

I was turned off from the Tikka's for a bit because of the negative reviews of the magazine, or stock, etc... but I went with it and haven't looked back. It's lived up to it's accuracy guarantee and even surpasses it on many occasions. Work the bolt on one and it'll get your attention. It's a lightweight rifle that I can pack for miles.

I had some extra money a few months back, so I bought a BC medalist stock for the Tikka and it's even more solid.

I agree with what's been said though, if you can find a SPS for $400 ish (Tikka $500 ish), that leaves plenty of money to put a quality scope on it. Cabelas is having a sale on their Nikon Monarchs right now...

P.S. Where are you located? I know the feeling of wanting a test fire before buying a rifle. I'm in Logan, UT and wouldn't mind letting you put a few downrange with mine.

>The next question would be, is
>it worth getting the heavier
>barreled rifle or should i
>go with a stainless? The
>SPS Long range has the
>heavier barrel, but I'm not
>sure i want to pack
>that thing around the mountain.
>Anyone hunt with the heavier
>rifles?

You definitely don't need a heavy barrel to shoot far, but they do help with stability.

I just bought a Rem 700 Sendero in 7RM... It's a bit heavier than I'm used to packing around, but if I know I'll be hunting open terrain, that's the rifle I'll be toting around. My scope should be here tomorrow so I can finally shoot the thing!

I'm in Cache Valley as well and might take you up on that. I've heard the same comment about stability, but when I've held the scopeless guns in the store they feel pretty front heavy. Do you ever get used to that? does the scope help balance them out? Obviously you'll try to shoot off sticks whenever possible, but shooting freehand is always a possibility.

I usually volunteer at the shooting range on most Fridays- feel free to send me a message if you'd like to shoot my Tikka.

As far as balance in the heavy rifles, I think it's something you would just get used to over time. I'm waiting for rings/bases to come and then I'll be shooting the Sendero a bit. I'm expecting great things from it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom