Antelope area 47 or 90

Zarn

I have two NR preference points and am trying to decide between these two units. Please weigh in if you care to share your thoughts.

I've hunted 47. A lot of antelope but i didn't see any that would go B&C. I can't speak for 90 but i wouldn't waste 2 PP's for 47 at least not as a first choice. I would try for one of the better units, apply for the PP & maybe put 47 as a 2nd choice. Just my opinion.

7 Mag

I hunted Shirly Basin (47) in '05. Saw decent numbers, but nothing big like 7 Mag said. There were some good bucks on private land, however. I drew a type 2 leftover tag, so number of hunters wasn't too bad, but I'd guess opening day would be a bit crazy. I agree that I wouldn't spend 2PP on a tag. I would think you'd have a good shot on a 2nd choice. Cna't help you on 90.

-Paul.

ZARN,

This is only a suggestion but I did this back two years ago and found a lot of good info, just take the time maybe an hour or so.

Go back and READ FROM THE START OF THIS FORUM AND EVEN THE ARCHIVES, you can find a lot of good info on areas within WYO. and where to hunt and where not to hunt depending on your quality of Lopes you want to go for.

Good luck,

Brian

I have hunted 47/Shirley Basin a few times and took my bigest buck there,a heavy horned 15 incher.I saw several nice bucks.I always hunt the first full week of October.Hardly ever see another hunter and see lots of goats.One of my favorite units.

if hunting this unit leave the truck at the road and get out and hunt.The big guys are not standing by a road waiting to get shot.I walked into an area that is hard to access by a vehecle an saw 200-300 animals a day.

I hunted 47 in 2005 as well, seen lots of antelope & two of the biggest bull elk i've ever seen. Last year with 0 points it was 100% draw if you applied for the special draw. That's why i wouldn't burn 2 pps for this area, it would be a 2nd choice for me. I haven't hunted 90 but it looks like a tuffer draw & it's considered a better unit for trophies. You'll have a better chance of drawing a 90-1 tag with your PP's, 75% in 2008 however the 90-2 tag was only 12.5%

7 Mag

90-2 is much like most units in Wyoming. There are good numbers of goats, but plan on spending many, many days behind the scope and possilby going home empty-handed if you want a 80".Fun unit, lots of gas workers runnin around. There are much better units...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-09 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]47 has quite a few quality goats. Just depends on where you hunt and what you want to spend. A friend and his dad have access to a large private ranch on the eastern edge. They shot a couple of very nice goats last season. Most of the tighter wallets hunt the north half of the unit where the public ground is located. If you've got some coin to spend, the southern portion is almost all private and like many private area's, quality is considerably better than the public stuff. Having said that, you'd be better off burning yer points on a different area. If you drew this as a second choice, I'd be researching trespass hunts on the southern end...

For me 47 hasbeen a good unit if hunting public land. It is hard to find a B&C goat on any public land.If a real big trophy is what you are after,then start calling ranch's .

i have never hunted antelope before, but just applied for 47 as my 2nd choice...

i mainly hunt whitetails in the south... is this gonna be a quick easy hunt for an average goat?

everything i read says youll see hundreds of goats a day throughout anywhere in the state...

im having a hard time believing that..

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-09 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]Believe it!! Can't say for 47 or 90 but I hunted Wyoming the first time last year for antelope north of 47 in a supposed not great unit. From the spot we stayed to our hunt area was a daily drive if maybe 25 miles and we would see 200-300 antelope every morning - most were on private but you will see hundreds - its really that good - and the most fun you can have hunting. Can't wait to go back this year:)

I took this area 47 antelope in 2006

49ac42ee155cb2d3.jpg

The south end has a big chunk of private that allows you to drive in and hunt it. Your vehicle must stay on the established roads at all times. There were plenty of pronghorns with little pressure. Not many people know about.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom