Antelope Area 4B Arizona

huntut

Any info on this unit for Antelope would be appreciated. I just had my card hit. Looks like a lot of private land which concerns me.

Thanks

4b is a pretty good antelope tag. loads of public land and private is typically not an issue so don't worry about that at all. More good public land than you can possible hunt. if you are patient you can find bucks in the 80" - 84" range. My cousin killed an 87" buck there last year on the archery hunt. there is plenty of terrain to offer cover for stocking and plenty of antelope that you'll be able to be in antelope all day long.

Do you have any pointers on areas or roads to start? What about camping location. I will probably just do a tent. I drew with 11 pts as a NR...are there better units? I have point guard so could send back??

don't give it back. it is a great unit. You'll have a blast. did you draw the rifle tag or archery? or do you not know yet? will you have time to scout it? have you hunted antelope before? tons of space for camping all over the unit.

Unless you're content with waiting possibly 15+ years, you dont give back antelope tags. Many folks wait 25 or more years to draw. Consider yourself fortunate and make the best of it. If I had applied for 4B, I'd be real content with you giving it back.

don't give it back. it is a great unit. You'll have a blast. did you draw the rifle tag or archery? or do you not know yet? will you have time to scout it? have you hunted antelope before? tons of space for camping all over the unit.
I think rifle tag. I've killed maybe 10 or 12 buck antelope. I grew up in Wyoming where they are plentiful. I will be able to make a scout trip at some point this summer.

I got lucky and drew the rifle tag last year with 2 points. That is a great hunt with a lot of decent bucks with the possibility of finding a big one. I would keep the tag

I turned my tag back in in 2018 and utilized point guard. Worked out well, as I drew this year. Archery, of course......paid off for me.

Any info on this unit for Antelope would be appreciated. I just had my card hit. Looks like a lot of private land which concerns me.

Thanks
Congrats on the tag. I hunted in in 17. It seemed a little tough that year, but killed a decent goat. There are some private land issues in some areas, mainly where all of the small parcels of land are, but plenty of public to have a good hunt. I would suggest bringing an atv if you have one.

As a landowner in Northern Arizona, you must post your land at each corner, each gate and every quarter mile if you don't want hunters or trespassers on your land. The quarter mile markers can just be a post painted orange on 3 sides with the unpainted side facing the interior of the property. Most of my neighbors don't post their property at all. The private land checkerboard might not be as bad as OnX would make you think. You can't discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied building. From ARS 13-3107:

(a) "Occupied structure" means any building in which, at the time of the firearm's discharge, a reasonable person from the location where a firearm is discharged would expect a person to be present.

You're going t have a good time.

As a landowner in Northern Arizona, you must post your land at each corner, each gate and every quarter mile if you don't want hunters or trespassers on your land. The quarter mile markers can just be a post painted orange on 3 sides with the unpainted side facing the interior of the property. Most of my neighbors don't post their property at all. The private land checkerboard might not be as bad as OnX would make you think. You can't discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied building. From ARS 13-3107:

(a) "Occupied structure" means any building in which, at the time of the firearm's discharge, a reasonable person from the location where a firearm is discharged would expect a person to be present.

Sagebrush, you're not one of them crazies that live out in 4b are you? (i'm teasing of course) It's fine if you are, I just hope I haven't woken you up on my early morning and late night adventures out there chasing critters.

That’s a good point Money. It would be wise to be very careful near Chevlon Retreat. There are thieves out there next to good people. I remember I was joyriding out there and a UHaul pulled up next to me on a two track. I always talk to people I run into out there. It turns out it was a young couple from Oregon moving into an Uncles house. It seems like they left in a hurry and forgot to pack cigarettes. I don’t smoke but they asked anyway. What their plan was once they were out there alway made me curious. Also, there are sometimes flyers on the community wells out there warning people to look out for a specific person as he was out there burglarizing property.

Yeah, we had a run in with a guy over in that area. I'm pretty sure we were legal, we even talked to the warden about access in that area. All kinds of confusing signs about access. There's plenty of other land to hunt in the unit, I would suggest staying away from that area with the private parcels. They hang in the cedars too, worth looking there as well.

Yeah it is good to be mindful of where you are and how close you are to private in 4b. There are some small communities between Heber and Holbrook that are pretty off the grid and not all of the residents are friendly. Most are, but not all. So be respectful of people's space is all I am saying. It will be a good hunt though and there is a chance of turning up some good bucks. You won't see the number of antelope you see in Wyoming but your top end bucks will be better than most of Wyoming.

Sagebrush, you're not one of them crazies that live out in 4b are you? (i'm teasing of course) It's fine if you are, I just hope I haven't woken you up on my early morning and late night adventures out there chasing critters.

Only semi-crazy in 3B.

Thanks for the info

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom