Antelope buck - What do you think?

diablo

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-13 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]Hi Guys,
First post, so I'm hoping I can figure this out. By way of introduction, I've read the forums for years but never posted. I hunt all over the west with a bow and muzzleloader. Looking for a good antelope this year in WY (and elk deer and bears in UT and CO). Goal is 80 inches or better - I don't think any of these would quite do it.

Anybody have a guess on score on these bucks? Thanks,

1604img_1698a.jpg

9180img_1695a.jpg

823img_1650a.jpg

None close to 80...70-75 net for the best bucks in the pics. If you find an 80 incher you won't have to ask about him.

Really tough to tell from pic's unless you can get a good look from different directions at his MASS!

It takes a monster rack with normal mass to make 80" but on the other hand, a rack can only be 12-13" and score 80. I know, i have one!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My knee-jerk reaction is a guess of low 70's for the best buck.
As others have said, 80" bucks really stand out with length and/or mass. They will look almost freakishly huge in the field.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-13 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7196165053_511990855497992_1101697613_n.jpg

This is a buck that you can see that he looks big. I tried loading a side view but my computer is giving me fits. ( Of course the pic is zoomed in, but he is a good buck)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-13 AT 01:54PM (MST)[p]>Really tough to tell from pic's
>unless you can get a
>good look from different directions
>at his MASS!
>
>It takes a monster rack with
>normal mass to make 80"
>but on the other hand,
>a rack can only be
>12-13" and score 80. I
>know, i have one!!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Joey nailed it! Horn length is great and all but the mass can really make a huge difference and except for the first buck you posted the others don't look like they have the mass to score well.

Sorry the picture isn't better but here are two examples. The buck on the left is just over 15", at least he was the day I got him. Anyway, scores about 76", the buck on the right I got last year, barely 14" on the not broken side but huge mass and scores close to 79" - all gross scores. Take mass every time if you can:)

Oregonmuley is spot on thanks for the post good information. My biggest lope is not big by most guys standards he grosses 77 and change and looks exactly like the top buck. I've seen some high scoring lopes I didn't really like I like the looks of the top buck he's a beauty although he's not 80.

Thanks guys. I've killed a half dozen in the seventies. IMO, any decent buck will tape in that range. But the 82+ bucks rarely look that big to me (except for those tall NM bucks). I'll be looking for mass and prong this year...

Count me in the group that feels 80 inch bucks sometimes DO NOT stand out. I'm not even convinced that bucks in the 82-84 range always stand out. Lots of variation in body size in Wyoming make judging them difficult.

Mass and prong is what you need to look at first, unless a buck is really tall. Really pay attention to the mass above the prong, that can really help the score.

Keep in mind that even a 15.5 inch buck needs 49 inches of mass and prong to get you to 80. Lots of 15 inch bucks never get there...many 14-14.5 inchers will.

+1 on looking at mass and prongs first. Big prongs are what catches my eye first, but that can be somewhat deceiving as well if the buck is light horned below the prong. Make sure they have great mass at the base before checking prong length. That pic above with the 2 side by side horns is a great example. Also, like Buzzy says, body size can deceive as well. Many older bucks will be very thick-necked and barrel-chested. Look for lots of black on the head and face. Lengthwise, I like to see those horns curl completely around so they are pointing directly at the top of the head. Pronghorns can be extremely hard to judge and they take lots more practice than deer or elk.

Usually, if they immediately look big to you, they probably are. JMO.

Great looking buck. Better than avarage. I would scout and see what is in the area and go after the best one on opening morning.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom