antelope geber res. oregon

No rifle available. Muzzle you need 6 pref points to get a tag. Archery is guaranteed, but only 3% of the hunters that hunted their last yr killed a goat. I would try the Owhee unit, with a 22% chance of killing something, its better than only 3%. Hope this helps.

muleyman

I dont know if I can post in time to help you. But here goes.

I have hunted pronghorn with bow and blackpowder in the Gerber Unit. In my opinion the archery season is a joke...but it does entertain a few people. Generally there are less than 5 killed in the archery hunt every year. The muzzleloader hunt was good but quality has fallen way off and so have numbers of critters.

The Gerber unit is a fairly large unit and it has a lot of public access. It is not your traditional antelope type range. The area is overgrown with juniper and is interlaced with scabrock flats. Seeing thousands of goats a day will not happen here. If you see a dozen...its a good day. I have had a few days on my hunts where I only saw one or two. Water is actually fairly plentiful and well dispersed..so sitting on a water hole generally is a waste of time (you may find a magic one, so dont give up on that idea). I have encountered a lot of people who go there only to be incredibly disappointed.

I have never filled an archery tag there (came close on more than one occassion) and have had two blackpowder tags and filled them both. The first blackpowder goat is a touch over 15" on one side and 14 1/2 on the other but very thin. The second goat was a plump 12"er that came in to my antelope call and died with a 58 caliber roundball to the chest.

Whatever you decide...goood luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom