Antelope Help

Rich521

My boys and I have 11 pts for antelope. I don't want to throw away these points, and about the only areas that will need that many points are RFW hunts. Can anyone give me thoughts on the best way to utilize these points? Are any of the RFW hunts any good?

I would "guess" that any of the RFW ranches in the Hayden/Craig area would be good.

The RFW section on the DOW's website will list all participating ranches along with a contact name & number (and website link if available).

You could always call or look at their websites to get an idea of the typical size buck you could expect.

If you want a fun hunt try unit 11.We hit this unit in probably the worst year ever (winter kill) but still had a great time. We hunted 4 days and looked over hundreds of antelope on public land. The 1st weeend was crowded from the doe tags, but by Sunday we had the unit to ourselves.

I wouldn't bother with RFW.They restrict you too much as far as what you can do and where you can go. Too many rules for me. Any unit in NW colorado is gonna have good goats. Here's a link that shows you what points it take for which unit. I've hunted 3,4,10,11 and all have lots of goats. Just pick the one with lots of BLM access and you'll do good.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Consider #002 & #201. The units are combined, there is good potential for trophy quality and more public land than you could ever hope to cover. After the opening weekend, you can go all day without seeing other hunters. (the reason being it takes a ton of points and the quota's not too generous)

The reason I have this many points is because I was putting in for area 2. However, when I was elk hunting in that area a few years back I had a guy tell me that it had really gone sour and that most of the antelope had moved back into Wyo.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-10 AT 00:11AM (MST)[p]I hunted big gulch RFW 2 years ago, the section they gave me was several thousand acres,my wife and myself were the only buck hunters on it.Saw a good one the first day and spent the next two days looking for a better one,looked over about 60 or 70 bucks saw 2 better but couldn't put it together. Went back and shot that buck on the fourth day about 300 yards from where I first saw him,14 3/4" good mass, high prongs.I was back up there this fall twice and there weren't NEAR as many goats as there was then, you may want to wait a year or two for a better selection.One guys wife did shoot a 15 1/2" on another section, the people who manage the ranch were easy to work with.Very relaxed hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom