Antelope hunt Calif. Zone 5

Reed

Drew a tag and now looking for a meat locker in that part of the state. I just did a week scouting and was not able to fine one. Hoping someone out there has any suggestions. Trying to get something located before the hunt.

Congrats on the tag!

Are you looking for a butcher or just a place to hang your antelope because you have another hunt in the area or something?

Horniac

I am just looking for a place to hang the antelope to cool it off so I can travel the 300 plus miles back home. If time permits I could have it cut and wrapped. Thanks for reaching out.

Where do you live? I'd try to find one close to home if you can.
I thought I had answered but since I am new to the forum I think I did something wrong. The towns nearest to where I will be hunting is Fall River Mills, Adin and Bieber, CA

I am just looking for a place to hang the antelope to cool it off so I can travel the 300 plus miles back home. If time permits I could have it cut and wrapped. Thanks for reaching out.

If it was me I would just bring a couple of ice chests with some block ice. Gutless method in the field and then back to the truck and get him on ice and hit the road. Drain the melt water and replenish the ice as necessary on the way home and then process yourself or take it to your local butcher.

Not sure why you would want to take the time to find someone to hang it for you unless you wanted to stay in the area for an extended period of time for some reason…

Horniac

Drew a tag and now looking for a meat locker in that part of the state. I just did a week scouting and was not able to fine one. Hoping someone out there has any suggestions. Trying to get something located before the hunt.
Just bone it out and put it on ice. Personally if I can find dry ice I will, but I'll use wet ice in a heart beat. Personally I think you're over-thinking this situation. We kill deer in A zone in early August when it's 100+ degrees and just quickly process them and get them on ice. Not a big deal.

Girlfriend and I killed 2 antelope in NE wyoming 1225 miles from home. Field dressed, popped hindquarters off to put lengthwise and each fit in a 160 quart ice chest with plenty of room for ice (crushed, block, dry, etc.)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, I would like to stay a few days longer. The fishing up there can be really good. But if there is no facility close by, I will bone it out in the field. Lucky I have my son and a very foolish friend to help me out. ?

Of what may be of more importance is the proper care of your cape If you are planning on getting your antelope mounted. They are notorious for slipping so make sure you have a plan for that if you are going to stay and fish…

Horniac

I thought I had answered but since I am new to the forum I think I did something wrong. The towns nearest to where I will be hunting is Fall River Mills, Adin and Bieber, CA
Fall River is the largest town that you mention here. There's a store in Adin and nothing in Bieber. I don't believe there is a butcher shop in Fall River. I think the suggestion above are going to work the best for you.
You may want to "drop off the mountain" and take it to a processor, and go back up and fish. It's not that far.

Fall River is the largest town that you mention here. There's a store in Adin and nothing in Bieber. I don't believe there is a butcher shop in Fall River. I think the suggestion above are going to work the best for you.
You may want to "drop off the mountain" and take it to a processor, and go back up and fish. It's not that far.
Thank you. 33 years ago I used the market in Fall River but with new owners they no longer do that. I have not checked in with the store in Adin but will give it a try. Other than that it looks like I will be using the ice chests to get the goat home.

I thought that Burney had a butcher shop there
I have not been able to find one nor hear about one. Although I was just asking the folks out in Bieber, Fall River Mills and Goggle. ?. I think I will call the local Safeway store and ask for the meat department. Maybe they will now who the local game processor is. Thank you!!

Barbara Hicks had the butcher shop in Burney but I don't believe they are doing it anymore. We had her son Chuck come out and butcher my dads deer at my house. He did a good job at a reasonable price. But I don't think they are hanging animals anymore.

Barbara Hicks had the butcher shop in Burney but I don't believe they are doing it anymore. We had her son Chuck come out and butcher my dads deer at my house. He did a good job at a reasonable price. But I don't think they are hanging animals anymore.
Thank you. I feel like we are getting closer. Although it seems like most that I hear about are older and on the way out. Shame now one wants to take up that kind of work up there.

Was just discussing this with my wife..if I knew there was a real market for it, I thought about at least building a cold storage. But I only want to deal with my own meat!

Was just discussing this with my wife..if I knew there was a real market for it, I thought about at least building a cold storage. But I only want to deal with my own meat!
I would guess there would be at least a market for cold storage. If one did not make it to big.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom