Antelope Island Sheep hunts?

nochawk

From todays Standard Examiner

http://www.standard.net/live/news/181034

Proposed plan for Antelope Island could involve hunts
By BRYON SAXTON
Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau
[email protected]
LAYTON -- An update to the Antelope Island Wildlife Management Plan, addressing the possibility of allowing limited annual hunts of bighorn sheep on the island, was presented Thursday at the Utah State Parks Board meeting in Salt Lake City.
Antelope Island State Park manager Ron Taylor introduced the three-member team putting together scientific recommendations for the board to help them consider when, or whether, to allow a bighorn sheep hunt on the island.
The professional team consists of three wildlife biologists: Steve Bates, with Antelope Island; Scott McFarlane, with the Division of Wildlife Resources; and Jericho Whiting.
The group will make scientific recommendations to the directors of state parks and DWR, who will then forward the information onto the state parks board.
"We've got a process in place here," Taylor said. "It is in its infancy, but it is moving fast."
On June 25, the board requested a team of biologists be formed to make recommendations about when future hunts may be needed to keep the island's herds healthy.

The board modified the language of the island's wildlife management plan by adding: "Limited hunting may be used as a management tool for the health of wildlife populations and their habitats when other management control options have not been effective."
Bates said he anticipates the team's recommendations for the bighorn sheep herd will be available to the board near the end of the year.
Taylor said the intent is to get a more accurate count of the wildlife on the island this fall by air and by land. The team, in addition to looking at the bighorn sheep herd, will also address over the years the island's bison, deer and antelope herds.
"We've got a process to manage the herds, not just the bighorn sheep," Taylor said.
But at this time, Taylor said, he does not see any indication that the island herds are overpopulated or unhealthy.
Antelope Island's wildlife management plan this summer became the eye of a storm when amendments were made, opening the door to limited annual bighorn sheep hunts on the island to keep herds healthy and disease-free.
Friends of Antelope Island opposed the move, citing concerns about the impact it would have on the animals -- chasing them away from the public -- and the direct effect that would have on tourism.
The overpopulation of a herd can make the animals more susceptible to disease, DWR director Jim Karpowitz told state park board members in an April meeting.
Thirty-nine bighorn sheep were introduced to the island in 1998.
The herd grew and 160 bighorn were transplanted to other parks, officials say. There are now about 160 bighorn sheep on the island.
Karpowitz said the animals have done so well, DWR needs to deal with the surplus of rams in other ways, outside of transplanting them. Transplanting can be costly and cannot be relied on as a long-term solution, he said.
The island wildlife management plan has been in place since 2001, Bates said.

Copyright ? 2009 Ogden Publishing Corporation
www.standard.net

Very Good News

This is good news for me. I've got bighorn sheep on my bucket list but all of my points are tied up on Buffalo. The actual opportunities for Once in A lifetime Hunts here in Utah for Disabled Hunters are rather extremely limited. I actually think I could ride a horse on the Island to get a shot at a Bighorn.

Destiny

RE: Very Good News

I personly think their number's are off on the sheep count.

I agree with waccy the numbers seem very high....160 transplanted to other 'Parks' like what Parks???? State Parks??? which ones? and then another 160 still on AI?

""""""""The herd grew and 160 bighorn were transplanted to other parks, officials say. There are now about 160 bighorn sheep on the island.""""""""""
Karpowitz said .....

So from 39 sheep to 320 alive sheep in like 10 years....that is dang good.

Maybe they could sell some to other states to help change gene pools in exixting sheep herds or to start other sheep herds ....lots more $$$ seemingly that way than a 'shoot' price.

Robb

The main transplants started in 2001, mostly to The Newfoundland Mtns and to the Stansbury Mtns. The Newfoundland herd is estimated to be at 135 animals and the Stansbury herd is around 70. You misread, none of the Bighorn sheep were transplanted to parks. The goal is to establish huntable populations elsewhere. (from what i read). And you are right from 39 to 320 is Dang good.

I stand the corrected the article did say transplanted to other parks. That is not correct. There are Bighorn sheep around Dead Horse Point, but they didn't come from the Island.

I don't understand why we cant have two hunts for each of the species on the Island. One for high rollers to buy and another for the public draw. Wouldn't hurt the island and there are some huge Bucks roaming around that just die of old age every year. That would give the DWR plenty of money to play with, and it would create a few new tags that tons of people would apply for. That would relieve a little pressure from other deer units for oublic draw too.
I just don't see any cons to this. Anybody think this is a good idea or not?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom