Antelope on the Oak Creek

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
I seen four Antelope on the East side of the mountain. How long have they been out there? Had no idea they were out there.

I seen them there 5 years ago! Not many but they have been there for a while.

hornkiller.jpg

There's a handful there and they've been there for a while. Soon, from what I understand, you'll be able to see bighorn sheep on Oak Creek as well!

>There's a handful there and they've
>been there for a while.
>Soon, from what I understand,
>you'll be able to see
>bighorn sheep on Oak Creek
>as well!

How do you know this Legacy? How soon is soon?

Tallbuck1

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/bighorn-plan.pdf

Here's a little bit of information. Page 22 mentions Oak Creek specifically. For the most part, it's just hearsay for now, but my good friend and hunting buddy (who is from Delta) spoke with a DWR employee that he knows well and he told him that it was going to happen. When? I have no idea. Where? North end of the unit behind the cement plant.

tallbuck,
I had the same convo with someone this weekend while out hunting in Idaho. Said it was a done deal and we should start seeing sheep on Oak City soon. Ironically it was a person from Delta that told me. But I pretty sure it was not the same person that talked to legacy.

>Those sheep have no chance with
>all the lions!
>
>
>
hornkiller.jpg

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

^^^ Funnuy stuff right there^^^^

The lion population on Oak City has been kept at a very minumum
for quite a few years now....The locals dont even run on it much!

Years ago(60's)on the Pahvant Range the hounders would very seldom take their dogs up there. Lost to many in the ledges and rough country. I think there are some mountain ranges they could have an open season on lions and not affect the population a whole lot.

Explain this then Hornkiller,

Despite the fact Oak city has Split hunting, LE 12 permits,
THEN opens to harvest obljective hunting for 3 months.
OVER the counter , unlimited lion permits. PLUS LE tags can still be filled on HO hunts,

Then WHY was there only ONE cat killed on the Oak city during
the 2012-13 season ??????

Here the link to harvest results for lions this last season:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/cougar/pdf/harvest_2012_2013_preliminary.pdf

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

3 of the main canyons have been closed since the big fire!

Nobody has been hunting in there for how long?

There aint many roads on that unit if you have ever spent much time down there.

You proved my point one lion killed!
how many do you think are running the range that never go across the few roads that are in lion country?

hornkiller.jpg

hornkiller I've spent 100's of days runn'in, kill'in cats
all over Pahvant, OAK CITY, Beaver, Monroe, and many more..

Hell, when Harvest objective opened there in 1997 I WAS RIGHT
in the middle of knocking out 40 lions on the Pahavant battling
Wade and his crew..................

I also Knew Brent Olsen very well....Not my first rodeo!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I helped a friend pull a camera off the oak creek unit this year that had survived the fire. Pretty cool photos of does and fawns and how they acted during the fire. The camera ran for several months and it had cats on it. My friends uncle had a deer tag this year on that unit and we saw as many lion tracks as we did deer tracks. I also think there are more lions then people think on that unit. Talk about rugged

who farted?

I have no idea where Oak Creek is, but this little antelope was way off course. He was alone in the middle of the elk herd at Hardware Ranch a few weeks ago up Blacksmith Fork Canyon.

He was keeping his distance from the main herd, but the Workers at the Ranch said he showed up with a herd.

3305dscf1913.jpg

now that they extended the cache/north rich boundry that buck will be open season for someone

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

The sheep transplant to the Oak Creeks has already been taking place. Thirteen AI sheep were moved down there a few weeks ago and they were supposed to move several from the Newfys last week, but got fogged out. I believe the rest of the transplant is rescheduled for the first of the month, if weather cooperates.

Plans were to put 50 Big Horn Sheep on the there. As far as I know they have completed the transplant. Hope they do well.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom