Antelope picks with score please

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
If you antelope Hunters would be willing to post up pictures of your antelope accompanied with its score it would be greatly appreciated. I drew a Wyoming tag this year and I am trying to practice judging their score. The goal is to make it a fun family hunt. However, I would like to get a good buck as well. Thanks for any pictures!

54533img0994.jpg

This one is 79-6/8"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-18 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/22228img1559wide.jpg
This is my son's Wyoming antelope. It officially gross scored right at 85" B&C.
Mass is key if you want a good scoring buck. Also note his horns hook in and look short, but they are actually 16 1/2"s

If you can get a copy of the Tony/Eli Grimmett's antelope scoring video, that really helps.

He almost passed on this buck until he saw the buck with some other bucks and his buck's head and body dwarfed the other bucks. We were dumbfounded when we put a tape on him.

Thanks guys! Those bucks would make me happy! Unreal Mass on that one. I scored both of them before I scrolled down to see the score. I was 3 inches under on both of them. I'm sure it is harder when they are out there a ways on the hoof. keep them coming if you got them!

I've killed a grundle of them and in my opinion, trying to get better at scoring them by looking at other hunters kill photos is an exercise in futility. Very tough to judge from other?s field photos. Big antelope typically look big. If you can't decide if he is big or small, he is probably not going to grow when you get him on the ground. Littlebighorn?s experience is more the exception than the rule, although bucks with excessive mass can be deceiving. Spend a few days during your hunt eating potato chips and drinking soda pops and look at a ton of bucks. Then pick the one you like best and go get him.

The first video kill is my son's 67" Wyoming buck. Greatest kill shot ever.
https://vimeo.com/103165770

The second is my 74" Wyoming buck from 2012. No kill shot but some pics at the end from BB make it look pretty impressive !!!
https://vimeo.com/103162165

These are real numbers of green scores with some others in there to compare with on the hoof up close and personal.

Cheers,
Pete

If you think judging them live is tough try judging from a picture ! Some of the responses above indicate that. Good advice on Eli's book and Eastman also has a decent Antelope judging book. GOOD LUCK !

One of the biggest factors people tend to overlook is that often big Wyoming bucks will have big bodies and heads, as mentioned above, which can overshadow the size of their horns. Getting a look at them in relation to other bucks is a good way to compare size.

I agree with hunt30 really tough to judge from pics! If you want a giant you will most likely look at 300-400 goats before you find a really good one. If You look at enough bucks you will know when it's a big one! Sorry for the crappy pics. We thought this one was a little better than what he came out on paper. Thats ok he is big enough at 80" and my girls got to watch!
7580720170929134625.jpg

2440920170930162440.jpg
37205hornkiller.jpg

67367img9801.jpg

I just rough scored this one I got and I'm no expert and I came up just under 75"

Nohawk you kidding right??? yeah that is the killer...mass makes them look short ( nice buck LBH...my buddy killed a 85 incher that could be its twin...just solid everyplace!!!)...but it mass that makes the score...but its the experience that makes it great.

Trying to get and idea off of dead bucks will throw you for a loop cause come on guys we always pick the pics that look the biggest and best!!!

I got a nice goat you can check out on the archives posted by sageadvice "Bruiser Antelope". Im not sure how to post that up.

27598img1528.jpg

Here's a couple of hints with mass.

Check the side view to make sure the horn is wider that the antelope's eye. Most 80 inchers will be pushing width one and a half times the size of the eye socket.
You also have to get a front view like the one above, to be sure the horn is not bladed which can easily have you thinking there is more mass than the tape shows. In this second picture of my son's antelope, notice that the horn looks round and not flat. That also adds a good deal of mass. Don't forget about the mass above the prong, also needed for a good score.
So for good score, mass, mass, mass.

For fun just go look at as many as you have time for, and shoot one that fits your fancy.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-18 AT 09:48PM (MST)[p]The year I killed my pronghorn another guy got one out of the same area that was the most massive antelope I have ever seen I wish I would have took pictures of it.

>6x7, great bucks. That mainframe
>3 with the huge eye
>guards is sweet!

That's my California collection I have the tule bull to go with it now I'm waiting on that sheep tag

Best way to judge your antelope is to shoot the first one you see that's so pretty that you can't leave it behind. Whether its 76 or 82 doesn't matter much. You're most likely not out to break any records... But as with anything, you won't have to question anything when you see a good one, you'll know it the second you see him.

You need to look for the "Wow Factor." Look over as many antelope as you can and take pics/video if possible as that will give you a general idea of what the average buck size is in the area. Then look for the buck that makes you say, "Wow" and that will be the buck you want to shoot. Antelope can be tricky. Like LBH mentioned, mass is the key. Don't convince yourself to shoot one that may not meet the criteria you're looking for or you will likely be unhappy.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

It's been a few years since I chased antelope. I have a lot of video though. Every year I will spend a few days on the plateau for fun just to keep my field judging skills up; however, there's not much worth field judging out there.

I will try to post some video soon.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

>I've killed a grundle of them

The denotation and connotation if this "G" word are quite different these days. You may have heard someone under 40 snickering everytime you mentioned how many perineums you did whatever with...

Pretty buck with great shape, just small. Easy to excited about though when things happen in a hurry. Thankfully it was buddy's first pronghorn and he was stoked regardless of score. 67"+. All 4 from same unit in 2016.

93613dscn5623.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom