Antelope Unit 61 & 64

elkhunter7pt

Thinking of putting in for one of these units for antelope. Can anyone tell me what size animals I would be looking at in these units. Am currently at max points. Thanks

I would say the quality is about the same in both in a mild winter year. 64 is far easier to draw with the points you have. You could spend years chasing 61 with the same quality of antelope to be had in surrounding areas that are easier to draw. And, if you finally draw, there's nothing garaunteeing a buck worth X many years of waiting.

There is considerable interchange between areas 60, 61, and 64 (the G&F treat them as 1 herd unit). Typically, 60 and 61 are the toughest draws in the state, but it might be because every magazine names these areas (along with 57). Just because they take 4x's the points to draw doesn't make them 4x's better than other areas, but they are good! The size you can expect depends on four things:
1. How the winter goes
2. How much spring moisture there is
3. How much time you have
4. How well you judge them

That said, 84" is certainly possible, and 80+ is pretty realistic in either.

I had an area 64 tag in '09; hunted early October. The area (especially north of the Green Mnt/Crooks Mnt divide) got a lot of snow, almost 2 feet in some parts. This resulted in a mass exodus out of the area. The antelope were all moving onto traditional winter range to the south (in area 60), to the north (into area 106), and to the east (into area 61).

The antelope were in large bands of 200+ animals, and clearly on a mission. They acted like caribou, sticking to their planned path regardless of our presence. We encountered 6 such herds. The first one had two 80+ bucks, but I elected to pass. The second had a a monster, maybe 85, surely 84, but I was unable to get a clear shot. The third group had 3 or 4 bucks in the 77-80" class, and one 82+. Unfortunately, the larger buck crossed the boundary road before I had a chance to evaluate him. The next two groups did not contain any noteworthy bucks. The last group had an 81 4/8" buck, which I took. I was worried he was the last goat left in the area! Of note, he was the largest bodied buck I have ever seen, and the taxidermist had to sculpt a new form for him (8 3/4" nose to eye). Also, these desert goats (at least in the southern part of 64, and all of 60, and much of 61) don't have any fences to deal with, so their capes are impeccable.

I think what we saw is representative of these areas: 1500 to 1800 goats, five or six of which were 80+", one or two were around 82", and one was bigger. Over the years, I have hunted other areas (57, 60, 47, 90, 42, 38, 40, 63, 62, 115) and would say this was about average. Some areas were a little better (115 was the best, closely followed by 57, but it might have been good years). And some of those areas were a little worse, but not dramatically (except 63). In any of them, you have to look over alot of antelope to find a big one.

Hope it helps.

The last part of what WYExport said is key . . . In any of those areas, you have to look over lots of bucks to find a big one.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom