Antelope unit 61?????

tkhunt

What do you think as far as quality goes is the best red desert unit? I've have all of my points and would pay for either draw. I kind of like area 61 but would wait for 58, or 60, or ?????. I'm can devote 3 weeks to hunt and am looking for a BC animal. Any thoughts?

I guided this year in both 60 and 61.

Both were pretty similar and seemingly void of antelope compared to most units I've hunting in Wyoming.

In 60 I found only one buck I thought was over 82.

In 61 I found about 10 bucks I thought were over 82.

I spent about a week scouting or hunting for each unit.

Here are the two bucks we killed - both will score in the mid-80's. Jason's buck will probaby score a little more because of the extra length.

Chris Denton - Area 60 - 14-1/2-inches long with 6-inch prongs
9100531_orig.jpg

Jason Thoune - Area 61 - 16-inches long with 6-inch prongs
7183756_orig.jpg

www.PronghornGuideService.com

You're right.

Look at that smile on his face.

Exquisite buck, happy hunter. It doesn't get any better than this.

Excellent photo, Eli. Perfect composition and fine detail. I can see every hair, smell the sweet scent. I have a little blood on my fingers.

The stuff of dreams.

75092214sized.jpg

Here is another picture from my unit 61 antelope hunting with Eli at www.PronghornGuideService.com . I have been meaning to get a full story with more pictures up here but work commitments keep pulling me away.

In any event, I'll add a few thoughts. One of the main reasons I chose to hunt with Eli was to help me to better gauge the quality of antelope. Eli and his father, Tony, are the best on the planet at scoring high caliber antelope. I have hunted antelope before and seen them by the thousands and had a pretty good grasp on what made a good antelope. It was telling the difference between a good and great animal that was always tough.

Although, I learned a ton in the few days I hunted with Eli I think a lot of it is just the sheer number of B & C (and 90 inch plus) animals Eli and Tony have guided to that allows them to guide to the best animals in the west every year. More importantly to me than the score on any animal is the quality of the hunt. I consider Eli a friend and after meeting him in camp for about 5 minutes I knew I'd enjoy my hunt regardless of the outcome.

I can not over praise Eli for his ability and his hospitality. I have recommended PGS to several of my friends and will continue to do so. There aren't B & C bucks in every unit but if there is one Eli and Tony will find it. Any of the desert units can be good as well as some sleeper units as well.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom