antelope unit 72

rifleman

got the tags in the mail. i'm already studing maps of blm and state land and the walk in areas. i know the rattlesnake mountains are in the southern part of the unit so i would assume the northern part would be the better antelope habitat. any pointers or suggestions? this will be my dad's first ever western hunt. we plan on getting a doe tag as well. thanks

from the boundary designations i've read, the southern boundary of the unit runs along the top of the rattlesnake mts, making the blm below the rattlesnake mts another unit. i plan on looking at it all while i'm there. kind of using the trip as a future mule deer scouting trip.

You are correct, my bad! There are some walk-in's to the north by hells half acre and a smattering of smaller blm holdings throughout the area.

Most of the land owners will let you hunt... Some have small fees though... Skyline is one that use to let people hunt with no charge, just leave a land owners tag if you are successful...

The Casper Game and Fish should have a list of landowners who have historically helped hunters out . . . Some of their ideas of "help" are a bit skewed though, as you will find when you make the calls. I ran into one old codger in another area that wanted $150 for a week of antelope hunting on 1 section of land (640 acres). I could barely end the conversation with the guy I was laughing so hard . . . If you luck into someone who will let you hunt for free, you should do all you can to preserve that privilige, as most have realized that hunters are willing to pay for a "range maggot".

Congrats rifleman on your tags! Awesome hunt! Just hit the walk-in areas, tons of antelope. Hit me with a pm, and I'll give you what I have!

I killed a nice 15" critter in a unit 72 walk in area a few years back. Another member of the party took a 14 3/4" critter on another walk-in area. Two other members killed 12 and 13" critters on the scattered BLM ground in the unit.

A year later a larger group went back and couldnt locate anything larger than 13". Perhaps a poor water year or something.

Someday I ought to score that goat. I'm guessing mid to upper 70's.

It is a fun hunt. Dont start on opening day or the first weekend. Wait a few days and then go. There are plenty of critters to shoot at. We called it shopping for goats and that is exactly what it was like. Take a day or two to look a bunch of different critters over to get a feel for what a good one might look like. Most of all enjoy your time there.

PS. We found several rattlesnakes while we were there. They didnt bother me, but just seeing them freaks some folks out (like my old man).

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom