Well after waiting 12 years with my son to hunt CO goats
we would like to hunt this year, we have 12 points each. We are
planning a goat hunt in WY and then head south to CO. My
question is 2-201 seem to be out of reach and 3-301 had only
20% draw last year for 12 points, are units like 4-5, 161,
11 comparable to the two top units? We should draw the latter
3 units with 12 points if apply for them, would you? Or would
you gamble on 3-301 with about 20% odds? How much better is
3-301 than say 11? Any help would be appreciated?

We scouted 3/301 and 11 last summer and fall and seen a lot more goats in 3/301 and the quality seemed better there too. A couple of years ago I would have gone with 11 but last year we didn't seem to see the numbers or quality, even the doe numbers didn't seem like they were. Not sure if it was water or not but some of the watering hole in 11 were dry when in the previous years they were holding water. All the hole in 3 that we knew of all had good amounts of water all season long. I also presume you'll be using a rifle which I think in these units would be a much better option than archery. Either way good luck and have fun!

Al

I have 14 points and I think can draw either 2 or 3. Any opinion on difference between the two? The only reason I was preferring 2 was the season dates. They work better for possible combos with probable Wyoming hunts if I draw. I've heard a lot of good things about CO unit 3 lately.

if you can draw unit 2 that's what i'd do. Take a look at the hunter numbers and that to me would weigh heavy into my choice. From what I know, there are fewer antelope but there are some real nice ones running around there. Research um more and compare. Either way you'll have an aweome time.

Ya I notice that unit 2 had quite a few less tags per square mile. I'd kind of prefer less hunters even if it meant fewer lopes as long as buck quality is similar.

i had the unit 2 tag last year CDOW did a numbers count there where 14 antelope in the unit i turned my tag back in

Looking at the draw odds unit 2 could be a few years out for you. As far as the CDOW count of 14 Antelope in the unit I took a drive N.E of Irish Canyon this past year and saw alot more than 14 Antelope on 1 road.
Me and my brother hunted unit 11 about 3 years ago and had a fun hunt.
Not the monsters we were hoping for, but took better than average for what we were seeing.
Tons of doe hunters the 1st day and watched some ugly stuff going on.
We were stoped by 3 differnt teams of DOW officers and had great conversations with them all.
Instead of a trophy unit 11 is considered a high success unit.
By sunday we were the only ones on the unit.
But as the previous post about water drying up I would not know.
The Bitter Brush area south of Maybell had alot of water.
Thank You
Rick

If you are willing to waste that many points on unit 2 you're crazy! I spend alot of time in the northwest corner doing elk and deer hunts and I can honestly say in my time spent in unit 2 in early october i've seen maybe a buck or two a year.

Unit 3 has excellent antelope hunting on the big BLM/STL lands just south of the Wy. border and west of Hwy. 13. If you don't want to gamble on 3, put in for 4 and hunt east of 13 just south of Baggs.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom